Author Topic: Red Hill Mining Town - World exclusive play on Dave Fanning Show  (Read 6888 times)

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Red Hill Mining Town - World exclusive play on Dave Fanning Show
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2017, 10:54:54 AM »
Meh.

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2017, 11:25:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
tbh i dont think theres a jarring noticeable transition between 2017 to 1987 Bono. there's really not. and listened on headphones.

It is nicely done, but yeah...that's obviously 1987 Bono in the chorus and "love , slowly stripped away" bit.

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • You can see me in person on July 1st in Cleveland
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2017, 11:40:25 AM »
Love the brass. Keeping the chorus is lame but they did a good job with the transition. Solid job by Lillywhite

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2017, 11:49:19 AM »
tbh i dont think theres a jarring noticeable transition between 2017 to 1987 Bono. there's really not. and listened on headphones.

It is nicely done, but yeah...that's obviously 1987 Bono in the chorus and "love , slowly stripped away" bit.

Really? I listened and thought 2017 bono was there the whole time. It sounded more like they were layering the vocals and making current bono more prominent.

Either way, this is not accurate to how he'll perform live. It won't be the first song they play so his voice will probably start to be a little tired when they perform it. Not expecting big vocals

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2017, 11:54:58 AM »
Doesn't seem very different. Vocals were entirely re-recorded and sound pretty nice overall. That brass synth is obnoxiously loud, though.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »
One of my favourite U2 songs. Original is better, but I do like this version. The brass and ending are nice to hear in this alternate version. It's also nice to see one of their hidden gems getting a little attention.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2017, 12:12:20 PM »
It's not a major difference but I do like it as a companion to the original. There are some things that you can't hear in the original. It's so obvious though that the chorus is the same as the original, vocals and all (outside of some minor differences).

Offline mariomofo

• Babyface
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2017, 12:37:04 PM »
Where did you get tix Mario? Are they on sale?

Got them through the fan club pre-sale, what was it, 2-3 months ago? I believe the show's now sold out.

Offline Airuarak

• Wanderer
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2017, 12:42:14 PM »
I'm reminded of Band Aid 20... Bono re-sang his line "as if I was channeling Springsteen in a toilet", or something like that. The reality is, he couldn't sing that part again; which is fine. But in the finished song he was looking pretty weak. And so to this song, that first verse was pretty dumb to include when the original chorus is still there. Didn't like the mix either... the difference between the two versions is start: one is raw and stark, the other is mechanical and synthetic. I did like the outro though. Should have just added that to the original and pumped up the brass a little (which was hardly spectacular).

If they wanted to fiddle with the past, they should have put a different mix of Exit out... won't be listening to this Red Hill mix again

Offline mc

• Stateless
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2017, 12:47:56 PM »
Its was worthwhile for the extended end. I think its new vocals ontop of the original in some places, howevee the end vocals seem new and consistant.

Offline JFW

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2017, 12:53:22 PM »
I'm so sorry if I'm missed something. But did you guys already heard the FULL version of the song?

If that's the case, where can I find it?

Found it! I think it isn't bad  :). Unfortunatly not a new chorus, but it fits, and that's good enough for me. Wondering what tonight will bring us.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 01:14:59 PM by JFW »

Offline GEMF

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2017, 01:00:20 PM »
This version sounds much better than I expected. I actually really like it.
No detailed analysis from me. I just like it as a whole, from start to finish.

It's making me excited about the 2017 Summer tour. So job well-done, Lillywhite! :D

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2017, 01:31:17 PM »
I think if anything, be grateful he didn't redo the chorus... not sure why people were hoping for that.

As some have posted, should have just released an alternative mix with all of the original vocal imo. The verse, yeah sounds fine.. but the original vocal sounds better, cleaner, not drowned in reverb.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2017, 03:31:01 PM »
I'm reminded of Band Aid 20... Bono re-sang his line "as if I was channeling Springsteen in a toilet", or something like that. The reality is, he couldn't sing that part again; which is fine. But in the finished song he was looking pretty weak. And so to this song, that first verse was pretty dumb to include when the original chorus is still there. Didn't like the mix either... the difference between the two versions is start: one is raw and stark, the other is mechanical and synthetic. I did like the outro though. Should have just added that to the original and pumped up the brass a little (which was hardly spectacular).

If they wanted to fiddle with the past, they should have put a different mix of Exit out... won't be listening to this Red Hill mix again
Agree completely. The synth sounds cheesy and outdated and ruins the song (that I already dislike). A new mix of Exit could have been epic.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2017, 03:59:42 PM »
I think if anything, be grateful he didn't redo the chorus... not sure why people were hoping for that.

As some have posted, should have just released an alternative mix with all of the original vocal imo. The verse, yeah sounds fine.. but the original vocal sounds better, cleaner, not drowned in reverb.

so that the way he performs it in the new version will reflect how he'll sound live...