Author Topic: Red Hill Mining Town - World exclusive play on Dave Fanning Show  (Read 9583 times)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: Red Hill Mining Town - World exclusive play on Dave Fanning Show
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2017, 10:15:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It would be cool if they did a R&H mini encore.
Yes! HAWKMOON!!!
BOOM-BOOM !
You got it, kiddo !

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2017, 11:04:35 AM »
I enjoyed this. Not a whole lot different from the original - the brass section is new, but it's the same song.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2017, 12:13:45 PM »
The last 30 seconds of the song is definitely NOT from the original 1987 vocals.  Any thoughts as to whether the ending is 2017 vocals, or some other unused take from years ago?

The verses are new, the choruses and outro are alternative takes from the original recording sessions.

Offline afg

• Babyface
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2017, 12:21:26 PM »
The last 30 seconds of the song is definitely NOT from the original 1987 vocals.  Any thoughts as to whether the ending is 2017 vocals, or some other unused take from years ago?

The verses are new, the choruses and outro are alternative takes from the original recording sessions.

Thanks.  That is what it sounds like to me.   As others have commented, it seems strange that they wouldn't record new vocals for the entire song, especially since fans will be hearing it live on this tour.  I would surprised to hear Bono sing the chorus close to what it sounds like on this mix.

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Administrator
  • Running to Stand Still
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2017, 12:51:55 PM »
Guys, Just a reminder that you can't link to file sharing sites here. So please don't do it.
Thx

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2017, 12:53:36 PM »

Thanks.  That is what it sounds like to me.   As others have commented, it seems strange that they wouldn't record new vocals for the entire song, especially since fans will be hearing it live on this tour.  I would surprised to hear Bono sing the chorus close to what it sounds like on this mix.

If it weren't so deep a cut he could do that whole thing of when he makes it seem like the crowd took the song over (thereby avoiding the need to sing the chorus himself), but it's just not that well-known a track.

I think they should rearrange the song completely, and then get in a time machine, go back a few months, and release THAT version as a single.

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2017, 01:25:26 PM »

If it weren't so deep a cut he could do that whole thing of when he makes it seem like the crowd took the song over (thereby avoiding the need to sing the chorus himself), but it's just not that well-known a track.

I think they should rearrange the song completely, and then get in a time machine, go back a few months, and release THAT version as a single.
Live they may have to drop is a full step

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2017, 02:33:06 PM »

People attending TJT tour will know all about RHMT.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2017, 02:43:31 PM »
I reckon that for all the debate/concern about this chorus it really won't be something that is a big deal he'll just sing it as best as he can and some nights it will be better than others, some nights it might be horrible and it wouldn't hurt at all if they actually just make light of it if it is .....they'll probably mess with the mix so much anyway making bono almost just white noise during that part if he is struggling or assist it with pre recorded backing or something that it will be virtually impossible to tell how good or bad he is singing...

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2017, 03:08:21 PM »
I wouldn't care how good or bad it sounded...I just want to hear it performed live. It wouldn't be the first time we've heard Bono  not quite hit his notes...so what?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2017, 03:09:52 PM »
I wouldn't care how good or bad it sounded...I just want to hear it performed live. It wouldn't be the first time we've heard Bono  not quite hit his notes...so what?

Exactly....its a rock n roll show not a west end musical.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2017, 03:21:27 PM »
Just thought would leave this here...it contains the link to this new mix thing but possibly more interestingly it has an embeded youtube video of the original RHMT which i believe (correct me if i am wrong) is quite rare...

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2017, 03:53:34 PM »
Yeah, the way he catches his breath before "love slowly stripped away" is undoubtedly the 1987 Bono.

I can totally see Bono sing with his 1987 self on a screen like he did with Lou Reed on Zoo TV.

About the mix : guitars - good. Brass or whatever synthétizer they used for brass - bad. Ending is epic. Brilliant idea to keep repeating the chorus and use alternate 1987 takes.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2017, 04:03:37 PM »
what? the Brass is great

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2017, 04:28:31 PM »
what? the Brass is great
It's ear-piercingly loud, though. Poorly mixed.