Zooropa
10 (11.1%)
Original Soundtracks 1
3 (3.3%)
Pop
9 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Voting closed: April 22, 2017, 09:39:31 AM

Author Topic: 90's U2 Poll  (Read 970 times)

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Re: 90's U2 Poll
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 10:29:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1. Achtung Baby
2. Pop
3. Zooropa
4. Passengers

Love them all. And AB, Pop and Zooropa are 3 of my top 5.

This

Offline imaginary friend

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • take the long way home
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 04:39:39 PM »
Zooropa.

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 05:43:25 PM »
This was only ever going to go one way.
But nice to read the various justifications.

Offline Zoomerang77

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 04:25:18 AM »
Achtung Baby! What an incredible time to be a U2 fan. The only downer for me was that it was the first album they released since I first became a fan. Kind of like an aspiring mountaineer ticking Everest off on debut.

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 12:15:16 PM »
Achtung Baby! What an incredible time to be a U2 fan. The only downer for me was that it was the first album they released since I first became a fan. Kind of like an aspiring mountaineer ticking Everest off on debut.

Me too, but I recall the amazing luxury of discovering the back catalogue to go through.. the second album i listened to was JT, then r&h followed by UF.. before I got to boy and October zooropa was out.. being able to treat yourself to a new u2 album on your own terms and schedule when finances allowed, was amazing.
I was so

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 02:22:18 PM »

True.  Though in my case, I had become a fan after first buying and listening to Joshua Tree, and then catching up on the rest of their 80's catalog before the 90's happened.  So while I was late to the party--I didn't discover them until 1989 or so--I was fully familiar with their catalog and history before AB came along and blew it all up.

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »
Zooooooooropa, better by design

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 07:09:08 PM »
Achtung Baby by a mile.

+1.  The other albums are good but the songs are just better on AB.  It's a beautiful album full of rich content.  Zooropa is promising but it's too short and isn't as consistent as AB.  Pop is longer but the material on it is overall inferior.   Passengers isn't a U2 album.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 12:58:37 AM »
Same here, I first became a fan in '89 and Night and Day was the first time I was anticipating a release by the band. Spent most of 90 & 91 discovering the back catalogue and grabbing various taped copies of bootlegs. I remember scouring the music pages of Q Magazine and the Daily Mirror (UK) for news of a new LP and remember how strange it looked when the Newspaper listed the titles of unfamiliar sounding U2 songs. The Fly in particular looked like a strange title for a U2 song.
Then it was onto the radio to try and hear this new lead single from the album. As much as it sounded nothing like U2 at that time, I knew it was them before the DJ confirmed it.
I also tuned into that weeks Round Table record review show on Radio 1 where the song got a luke warm reception, with one guy saying the band had lost the plot or words to that effect. The song then went on to knock Bryan Adams of the top of the chart, ending his record breaking 56 year stay at the top of the charts (that's how it felt anyway). U2 pulled a masterstroke by stating that the single would only be available for 3 weeks before being discontinued, pretty much guaranteeing it top spot. It stayed at the top of the charts for a week (Michael Jacksons Black & White knocked them off, thanks to the promo video starring Mackauley Culkin as much as the song itself).

I was fortunate enough to be grounded by my folks (for something which obviously wasn't my fault) at the end of October and early of November which coincided with the release and my under the radar purchase of Achtung Baby on tape. And yeah I thought the tape was knackered when I heard Zoo Station. I had the album on loop for the duration of me being grounded.
I was gutted when I finally got parole from my parents.
I was pretty popular in school too, with loads of classmates asking me to tape them a copy of the album.

Good times, and little did I know yet they would get even better over the next couple of years and that I would get to witness the greatest show on earth, which still ranks as the best stadium show I've ever seen, closely followed by Popmart, both at Roundhey Park, Leeds.

Thanks for indulging my trip down memory lane. Haha.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:56:47 PM by Blueyedboy »

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 01:09:49 AM »
Same here, I first became a fan in '89 and Night and Day was the first time I was anticipating a release by the band. Spent most of 90 & 91 discovering the back catalogue and grabbing various taped copies of bootlegs. I remember scouring the music pages of Q Magazine and the Daily Mirror (UK) for news of a new LP and remember how strange it looked when the Newspaper listed the titles of unfamiliar sounding U2 songs. The Fly in particular looked like a strange title for a U2 song.
Then it was onto the radio to try and hear this new lead single from the album. As much as it sounded nothing like U2 at that time, I knew it was them before the DJ confirmed it.
I also tuned into that weeks Round Table record review show on Radio 1 where the song got a luke warm reception, with one guy saying the band had lost the plot or words to that effect. The song then went on to knock Bryan Adams of the top of the chart, ending his record breaking 56 year stay at the top of the charts (that's how it felt anyway). U2 pulled a masterstroke by stating that the single would only be available for 3 weeks before being discontinued, pretty much guaranteeing it top spot. It stayed at the top of the charts for a week (Michael Jacksons Black & White knocked them off, thanks to the promo video starring Mackauley Culkin as much as the song itself).

I was fortunate enough to be grounded by my folks (for something which obviously wasn't my fault) at the end of October and early of November which coincided with the release and my under the radar purchase of Achtung Baby on tape. And yeah I thought the tape was knackered when I heard Zoo Station. I had the album on loop for the duration of me being grounded.
I was gutted when I finally got parole from my parents.
I was pretty popular in school too, with loads of classmates asking me to tape them a copy of the album.

Good times, and little did I know yet they would get even better over the next couple of years and that I would get to witness the greatest show on earth, which still ranks as the best stadium show I've ever seen, closely followed by Popmart, both at Roundhey Park, Leeds.

Thanks for indulging my trip down memory lane. Haha.

That's an epic tale Blueeyedboy, and as I've said many times before, anyone who has experienced Zoo TV in person receives my unrelenting jealousy, haha!  As for me, it's hard to pick.  Each album came at various points in my maturation, so they each mean something to me in different ways.  I was entering the teenage years when Achtung and Zooropa came out, well into high school when Passengers came out, and when Pop came out I graduated and was in college.  I think fans who grew up with U2 in the 80s can say that was the best time to be a fan of the band and I can't blame them.   But I think one thing's for sure - there was NEVER a dull moment with U2 in the 90s and it all started with Achtung Baby so that album gets my vote.