Poll

Achtung Baby always wins best of the 90s polls, so which do you like better Zooropa or Pop?

Zooropa
117 (50.9%)
Pop
113 (49.1%)

Total Members Voted: 220

Author Topic: Which do you like better: Zooropa or Pop?  (Read 13632 times)

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
Re: Which do you like better: Zooropa or Pop?
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2017, 04:54:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If your interested in that type of thing then you can do worse than checking out bands like Formation, Lea Porcelain and Keroscene to name a few that spring to mind.

Dude, Keroscene is legit!

Aren't they! They're in some pretty good company too. New music is in a pretty healthy place right now.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2017, 12:16:53 PM »
If your interested in that type of thing then you can do worse than checking out bands like Formation, Lea Porcelain and Keroscene to name a few that spring to mind.

Aren't they! They're in some pretty good company too. New music is in a pretty healthy place right now.

is there anything else out there that sounds like the Pop sound? i like Keroscene's song Regret and I Can't Do A Thing <spotifys' most played songs under each artist is very helpful>
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:22:37 PM by THRILLHO »

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2017, 05:13:08 AM »

is there anything else out there that sounds like the Pop sound? i like Keroscene's song Regret and I Can't Do A Thing <spotifys' most played songs under each artist is very helpful>

Ha, yeah Spotify is very good for that, and the tracks it suggests you would like based in your listen history is pretty cool too, although it's very easy to call down a YouTube type rabbit hole and end up miles away from your starting position.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2017, 12:14:20 PM »
so yea i like this Keroscene band. i didn't like Lea Porcelain or Formation.

anything else that sounds like this? they have a bunch of singles and an LP on itunes.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2017, 01:41:37 PM »
I would say that, ontologically speaking, Zooropa is a better album. Better songwriting, better production, better lyrics. All the same, I generally enjoy listening to Pop quote a bit more. While Pop is a far from perfect album (I'm pretty damn close to saying that Zooropa is perfect), it has a more raw, adventurous feel to it. In a sense, we know that this isn't true: Zooropa was recorded in breaks on the European ZooTv tour, initially planned as an EP, before it blossomed into a full LP; and, that Pop is likely the genesis of where U2 started to second-guess themselves, as is evidenced by some of the original versions of some of the Pop songs (the Hong Kong sessions on YouTube, or something like that; also heard in the rehearsal of Mofo on the Vertigo tour, as well as their few executions of Discoteque on that same tour).

Offline Nagrom76

• Refugee
  • Bacon
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2017, 02:48:57 PM »
Just my opinion but Zooropa. The track Zooropa is one of the best songs they've ever made. Stay and
Numb never get old. I still remember "taping" Numb off the TV and listening to it over and over and over. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 03:31:51 PM by Nagrom76 »

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2017, 03:00:13 PM »
Pop is likely the genesis of where U2 started to second-guess themselves, as is evidenced by some of the original versions of some of the Pop songs (the Hong Kong sessions on YouTube, or something like that; also heard in the rehearsal of Mofo on the Vertigo tour, as well as their few executions of Discoteque on that same tour).

For all the hullabaloo made of the superiority of the Hong Kong remixes, at least the band released Pop before they had enough time to neuter many of its songs like they did with the Single and Best-of versions. Phew.

Haha. Hullabaloo. Never written that word before.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2017, 03:23:20 PM »
Just my opinion but Zooropa. The track Zooropa is one of the best songs they've ever made. Stay and
Numb never get old. I still remember "taping" Numb off the TV and listening to it over and iver and over.

Just your opinion, but an excellent one. If you have friends who share said opinion, bring them on, we need votes. ;-)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2017, 04:41:31 PM »
Pop is likely the genesis of where U2 started to second-guess themselves, as is evidenced by some of the original versions of some of the Pop songs (the Hong Kong sessions on YouTube, or something like that; also heard in the rehearsal of Mofo on the Vertigo tour, as well as their few executions of Discoteque on that same tour).

For all the hullabaloo made of the superiority of the Hong Kong remixes, at least the band released Pop before they had enough time to neuter many of its songs like they did with the Single and Best-of versions. Phew.

Haha. Hullabaloo. Never written that word before.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Edgematic

• Wanderer
« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2017, 01:38:05 PM »
I would say that, ontologically speaking, Zooropa is a better album. Better songwriting, better production, better lyrics. All the same, I generally enjoy listening to Pop quote a bit more. While Pop is a far from perfect album (I'm pretty damn close to saying that Zooropa is perfect), it has a more raw, adventurous feel to it. In a sense, we know that this isn't true: Zooropa was recorded in breaks on the European ZooTv tour, initially planned as an EP, before it blossomed into a full LP; and, that Pop is likely the genesis of where U2 started to second-guess themselves, as is evidenced by some of the original versions of some of the Pop songs (the Hong Kong sessions on YouTube, or something like that; also heard in the rehearsal of Mofo on the Vertigo tour, as well as their few executions of Discoteque on that same tour).

I think Pop's lyrics are the best Bono's done, taken as a whole.  They are the most personal and interesting (with some exceptions, like IGWSHA).  He spends most of the album opening up and talking about his own fears and frustrations (notably in Gone, MOFO, and Wake Up Dead Man).  And, frankly, the conscious juxtaposition and exploration of the preference for the shallow-and-disposable over the political-and-important (Discotheque, Last Night on Earth, Please) was more than a little prescient.

In terms of bad lyrics, nothing tops "Some Days are Better Than Others".  Talk about banal. 

Some days are slippy, other days sloppy
Some days you can't stand the sight of a puppy.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:41:23 PM by Edgematic »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #130 on: June 28, 2017, 02:26:16 PM »

I think Pop's lyrics are the best Bono's done, taken as a whole.  They are the most personal and interesting (with some exceptions, like IGWSHA).  He spends most of the album opening up and talking about his own fears and frustrations (notably in Gone, MOFO, and Wake Up Dead Man).  And, frankly, the conscious juxtaposition and exploration of the preference for the shallow-and-disposable over the political-and-important (Discotheque, Last Night on Earth, Please) was more than a little prescient.

In terms of bad lyrics, nothing tops "Some Days are Better Than Others".  Talk about banal. 

Good point.  Lyrically Pop is a stronger record than Zooropa.  On Zooropa, Dirty Day and The Wanderer stand out for their lyrics, but it's not Bono's finest album.  Some of Pop is very bleak, but given the forum is about assessing authenticity at the moment, I'd say it was lyrically pretty authentic most of the time.

howyousawtheworld

« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2017, 12:42:09 PM »

Doesn't bother me those lyrics. It adds an air of flippancy to the record that to me suits the album's off beat, dazed and spontaneous nature that perfectly represents the album as the 'headache' the next morning after the wild night of Achtung Baby that was once quoted of the record (can't remember by whom). It's a weird record is Zooropa that I can't quite pin down but one I absolutely adore.

With you on the Pop lyrics though. Probably are the best words Bono has put on to a U2 record.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2017, 12:42:53 PM »

Doesn't bother me those lyrics. It adds an air of flippancy to the record that to me suits the album's off beat, dazed and spontaneous nature that perfectly represents the album as the 'headache' the next morning after the wild night of Achtung Baby that was once quoted of the record (can't remember by whom). It's a weird record is Zooropa that I can't quite pin down but one I absolutely adore.

With you on the Pop lyrics though. Probably are the best words Bono has put on to a U2 record.
Very well put.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2017, 01:22:24 PM »

Funny thing is, lyrics notwithstanding, that song has really grown on my recently.  It's undoubtedly throwaway, something you'll never hear them do live, but it's just so infectiously fun in a way they couldn't even hope to be in the past 20 years.  Edge's clanging guitar riff, Adam's bouncy, goofy bassline--it just really fits a mood.  Very underrated.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2017, 05:47:07 PM »
been listening to ZOOROPA a lot lately and it just sounds ahead of it's time.............BONO's voice and the band just sound cool, the vibe off that album is cool and fresh for me even today, and yes ZOOROPA is an epic under rated tune.