Poll

Achtung Baby always wins best of the 90s polls, so which do you like better Zooropa or Pop?

Zooropa
117 (50.9%)
Pop
113 (49.1%)

Total Members Voted: 220

Author Topic: Which do you like better: Zooropa or Pop?  (Read 13732 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Which do you like better: Zooropa or Pop?
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2017, 01:20:38 PM »
i'm thrilled to see Zooropa being seen as equal, it's definitley the one i prefer.

I will say the front half is stronger than the back half but honestly up until SOI i'd say that for all their albums. Sure the back half shines in most all cases but no one's gonna say Zooropa specifically has a back half that's on par with the front.

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2017, 07:15:28 PM »
Zooropa for me. Even though I love Pop. I have fantastic memories listening to that album and going to see the Zooropa tour at Wembley in '93. 91 to 97 U2 were at their musical peak as far as I was concerned. God I miss those days!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Offline Pride

• Numb
  • North Dakota is best Dakota
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2017, 03:14:35 PM »
Zooropa is my favorite album ever, so I guess Zooropa.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2017, 01:00:02 PM »
i didn't really expect this one to be so close.  for be Zooropa is the obvious choice.

Offline bfvertigo1

• Wanderer
« Reply #154 on: September 06, 2017, 05:01:16 PM »
ZOO ropa

Offline Jack_31

• Babyface
« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2017, 02:55:39 AM »
I think Pop is a much better album than Zooropa and in my opinion one of the strongest in U2s entire back catalogue. I gave it a few spins about a month ago and I was surprised to find out how well it holds after 20 years. In fact I think it would probably be even better received in the current music climate even though a few small tweaks might be needed. Zooropa is a nice EP-like album but with the exception of Stay and the title track it doesn't even come close to Pop's diversity, sound richness, grooviness and song writing complexity. Discotheque, Mofo, Staring at the sun, Gone, Please and Wake up dead man are among the band's best songs ever. Why the band never plays those superb tunes and torments us with the very mediocre output of the post-Pop era instead is beyond my understanding.

Unfortunately people often dismiss Pop without even giving it a fair chance, whereas they get overtly excited by the bland and poppy follower (All that you can't leave behind). Having said that, I also like Zooropa but it doesn't compare to Pop imo.

Offline Poncke

• Stateless
  • ROT SAR ARN 2xAMS 2xDUB BER ROM
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2017, 06:01:12 AM »
I used to dislike POP when it was released but You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and liked it a lot better. It has 3 songs that I do enjoy as much. 9/12 So kind of a 75% score for me.

Zooropa, I love the first 5 songs, just great, then 4 massive stinkers and then The Wanderer with Johnny Cash which is great. 6/10 so 60% score.

Weird though, the first 5 songs of Zooropa I like better than all songs on Pop except for Starting at the Sun.

Tough choice. Not sure how to swing this, I think I will decide on a Hybrid and this would be my Zoopop album

1.   "Discothèque"
2.   "Do You Feel Loved"
3.   "Mofo"
4.   "If God Will Send His Angels"
5.   "Staring at the Sun"
6.   "Last Night on Earth"
7.   "Gone"
8.   "The Playboy Mansion"
9.   "Zooropa"
10.   "Babyface"
11.   "Numb"
12.   "Lemon"
13.   "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)"
14.   "The Wanderer" (featuring Johnny Cash)

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2017, 08:37:32 AM »
Guys, have you ever just had an epiphany were you're like "YES! this is true!".  I have spent the last few days with Zooropa and Dirty Day has shot up into my top 10 U2 songs.  I don't know what it may have displaced but I am SO feeling this song right now.

Offline Jack_31

• Babyface
« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2017, 08:51:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Guys, have you ever just had an epiphany were you're like "YES! this is true!".  I have spent the last few days with Zooropa and Dirty Day has shot up into my top 10 U2 songs.  I don't know what it may have displaced but I am SO feeling this song right now.

Dirty Day is an interesting track; very dark with great lyrics and nice build up; the from father to son section is just wonderful, the way it breaks the whole tune, just brilliant. In fact I find the live version even better that the live one.

Offline bfvertigo1

• Wanderer
« Reply #159 on: September 12, 2017, 04:17:27 PM »
ZOOropa!

Offline PopMofo97

• Stateless
  • I'm ready, ready for the gridlock
« Reply #160 on: September 18, 2017, 08:10:26 AM »
Pop. Band on top, great stage show.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #161 on: September 18, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
Two amazing albums. I can't choose between them but Pop was the album that got me into U2 so it holds a special place in my heart.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #162 on: September 18, 2017, 06:53:50 PM »
Zooropa has the stronger songs (Zooropa, Lemon, Stay) but POP is a little bit more solid in terms of it's overall impression. I feel like Zooropa really drops off and feels unfinished whereas POP is a bit more complete.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2017, 06:56:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Zooropa really drops off and feels unfinished whereas POP is a bit more complete.

Wait, didn't you get the memo? The band decided after Pop wasn't successful in America that it, not Zooropa, was "unfinished."  ;D

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #164 on: September 18, 2017, 07:18:49 PM »
i guess i'm the only one that thinks the 2nd half of Zooropa is still phenomenal? oh well at least its winning!