Poll

Achtung Baby always wins best of the 90s polls, so which do you like better Zooropa or Pop?

Zooropa
110 (51.4%)
Pop
104 (48.6%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Author Topic: Which do you like better: Zooropa or Pop?  (Read 7292 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Which do you like better: Zooropa or Pop?
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2017, 03:02:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pop, but neither is that great.

they're both AMAZING actually.

im shocked Zooropa is 10 points up!

I'm kind of new here so I'm not totally sure how to reply. I really enjoy both albums. However, Zooropa only has one song I love (stay). The wanderer, Lemon, Zooropa, and Dirty day are all very good songs. The rest of it is average at best. Pop has great songs, but If you wear that velvet dress, The playboy mansion and Miami are so bad they almost ruin the album for me.

im sorry i really don't mean to sound like a jerk. my apologies. they are both highly regarded. this is a very 90s loving board.

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2017, 09:16:44 PM »
Velvet Dress is kind of like Promenade. It's a great little song but it lacks enough meat to really give it any real value unfortunately. That's just my opinion. I know if Promenade had an extra verse and was maybe a minute longer I'd like it a lot more. Same with FEZ Being Born.

Offline ProofThatThisIsReal

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »
Velvet Dress is kind of like Promenade. It's a great little song but it lacks enough meat to really give it any real value unfortunately. That's just my opinion. I know if Promenade had an extra verse and was maybe a minute longer I'd like it a lot more. Same with FEZ Being Born.

I feel obliged to link to this version whenever talk of If You Wear That Velvet Dress comes up: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2017, 02:22:58 AM »

I feel obliged to link to this version whenever talk of If You Wear That Velvet Dress comes up: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Decent. Prefer the album version though. I like Velvet Dress the most out of Playboy Mansion and Miami for the record.

Offline u2dc

• Babyface
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2017, 01:50:16 PM »
Pop, but neither is that great.

they're both AMAZING actually.

im shocked Zooropa is 10 points up!

I'm kind of new here so I'm not totally sure how to reply. I really enjoy both albums. However, Zooropa only has one song I love (stay). The wanderer, Lemon, Zooropa, and Dirty day are all very good songs. The rest of it is average at best. Pop has great songs, but If you wear that velvet dress, The playboy mansion and Miami are so bad they almost ruin the album for me.

im sorry i really don't mean to sound like a jerk. my apologies. they are both highly regarded. this is a very 90s loving board.

No need to apologize. We all have different opinions. Always interested in what other people think about U2.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2017, 03:27:18 AM »
I love both albums but overall I think Zooropa is my favourite. I love the album, apart from The Wanderer (not keen on the song itself and, with Johnny Cash singing it it's just not a U2 song to me). I add HMTMKMKM to the album (halfway through) and replace The Wanderer with Oh Berlin and then it's the perfect album for me!

With Pop I remove the 3 songs I'm not keen on (IGWSHA, TPM and WUDM), add Holy Joe and Your Blue Room and then it's also a perfect album for me! :)

Oh and I ADORE Velvet Dress, one of my favourite U2 songs. A real mood piece. :)

Offline mdewater

• Stateless
« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2017, 05:53:17 AM »
The love for Pop on here has always bewildered me. A few good songs, yes (Please is phenomenal) but the triple whammy of Velvet Dress, Playboy Mansion, and Miami ruins the package as a whole for me, just like u2dc said.

Zooropa is definitely a better listen straight through.

That said, I have my own “ZooPop” playlist where I’ve made a single album that actually works for me:

1. Discotheque (Mike Hedges)
2. Staring At The Sun (Mike Hedges)
3. Numb (Mike Hedges)
4. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
5. Miss Sarajevo
6. Gone (Mike Hedges)
7. Lemon
8. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
9. If God Will Send His Angels (Single Mix)
10. The Wanderer (Legend of Johnny Cash version without annoying siren at the end)
11. Wake Up Dead Man
12. Please (Single Mix)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2017, 03:02:25 PM »
Yes, but "Mofo", "Do You Feel" and "Discotecque" are great U2 moments.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #188 on: September 28, 2017, 04:37:50 PM »
I love both albums but overall I think Zooropa is my favourite. I love the album, apart from The Wanderer (not keen on the song itself and, with Johnny Cash singing it it's just not a U2 song to me). I add HMTMKMKM to the album (halfway through) and replace The Wanderer with Oh Berlin and then it's the perfect album for me!

With Pop I remove the 3 songs I'm not keen on (IGWSHA, TPM and WUDM), add Holy Joe and Your Blue Room and then it's also a perfect album for me! :)

Oh and I ADORE Velvet Dress, one of my favourite U2 songs. A real mood piece. :)

huh? why dont you like WUDM?

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2017, 05:45:20 AM »

Lol if I could add HMTMKMKM to Zooropa it would probably elevate the album to my top 5 of their whole catalogue. Love that song.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2017, 08:48:02 AM »

huh? why dont you like WUDM?

I just find it a bit of a dirge, it's never appealed to me. I love having Please as the closing track much more. :)

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2017, 10:52:48 PM »
Closing in on 200 votes. I think this will settle the 90's ranking for good in this forum:

1) AB
2) Zoo
3) Pop
4) OS (if we must)

:-)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #192 on: October 11, 2017, 03:50:10 PM »
Achtung Baby
Pop
Zooropa
Original Soundtracks I

This applies to the entirety of U2's canon, as well. Pop is only marginally behind Achtung Baby, and will definitely surpass it when I'm finally ready to concede that it's the greatest U2 album of all-time.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2017, 05:12:14 PM »
Closing in on 200 votes. I think this will settle the 90's ranking for good in this forum:

1) AB
2) Zoo
3) Pop
4) OS (if we must)

this is accurate but when someone joins the forum and starts this poll up again it'll change.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #194 on: October 11, 2017, 05:17:51 PM »

1) AB
2) Zoo
3) Pop
4) OS (if we must)

this is accurate but when someone joins the forum and starts this poll up again it'll change.
Happens every time!