Poll

Achtung Baby always wins best of the 90s polls, so which do you like better Zooropa or Pop?

Zooropa
117 (50.9%)
Pop
113 (49.1%)

Total Members Voted: 221

Author Topic: Which do you like better: Zooropa or Pop?  (Read 11683 times)

Offline Eno

• Wanderer
Re: Which do you like better: Zooropa or Pop?
« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2017, 08:35:08 PM »
Zooropa for sure. I absolutely love the sound and the theme of this record.

Offline guidowater

• Babyface
« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2017, 11:16:51 PM »
Impossible choice but it is pop. I like That whole album. Zooropa has 4 great songs That are better then anything on pop but the pop album feel better as a whole

Offline miracle_al

• Stateless
« Reply #197 on: December 06, 2017, 01:09:17 PM »
'Pop' by a mile, for me.  But that could be, in part, due to the age that 'Pop' caught me at. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:18:02 PM by miracle_al »

Offline miracle_al

• Stateless
« Reply #198 on: December 06, 2017, 02:17:28 PM »
As an interesting aside, I was recently watching a backstage interview on YouTube which was filmed during the PopMart Tour in which the [Dutch] interviewer asked Bono if they would be incorporating any songs from Zooropa into their setlist.  Bono responded by saying, "You'd probably have to play the whole thing," or something to that effect, meaning that Zooropa needs to be played from start to finish, and that the songs don't really "work" when played individually.  I respectfully disagree, as Dirty Day, Lemon, and the title track, have been played to great effect on prior (ZooTV) and subsequent tours.  I had never seen/heard Bono talk about playing an album live in its entirety before seeing this clip, and this was 20 years before TJT Tour 2017. 

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2017, 09:51:38 AM »
i'm really surprised this is so close.  I know Pop has always been highly regarded on here, but Zooropa is still Zooropa.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #200 on: December 18, 2017, 07:33:50 AM »
I wish I could change my vote. I had voted for Pop due to the presence of some really strong tracks, but Iíve been listening to Zooropa a bit lately and it has become one of my favorite albums of all time. Babyface and Lemon are the only relative duds on it (although I confess to not being a huge Stay fan, itís still a solid number), and the rest range from quite good to among the best U2 has ever delivered. The albumís side 2 may very well be the most consistently good one in the entire U2 catalogue, which is saying something when stacked up against The Joshua Tree. Itís just an awful lot of fun, even given the often heavy subject matter.

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #201 on: December 18, 2017, 01:41:42 PM »
Pop by a whisker. Pop could have been an all-timer if U2 didn't rush to meet the tour schedule they laid out before the album was set.

It pisses me off how the band totally ignores that record for their live act. "Please", "Starring at the Sun", "Gone" would be terrific adds to replace the worn out "Sunday...", "Pride", and maybe even "Bad" - which kills me to say, but only because Bono keeps butchering that song by taking out lyrics, and the fact his current voice is not really the power house anymore to drive that song...

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #202 on: December 18, 2017, 03:06:05 PM »
If we count in the b-sides and soundtrack songs, it's "Pop". If not, "Zooropa" wins.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #203 on: December 18, 2017, 08:02:47 PM »
Zooropa was the most spontaneous U2 we will ever get and thatís why for me I prefer to Pop. I like Pop but when I listen to some of it I feel like they were caught up in their own hype and lost their way a bit. Mind some cracking tunes for an album Iím arguing lost itís way!  ;D

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #204 on: December 18, 2017, 08:50:48 PM »
Zooropa. I like The Wanderer it's an nice closing touch. I don't listen to gospel music, but love this song.
Pop is unique in how it makes me feel. Basically when I feel like everything is falling apart and everything hits the fan at once I find myself very comfortable listening to Pop.

Offline Doming0

• Babyface
« Reply #205 on: December 26, 2017, 06:14:55 AM »
Pop by a country mile.  Mofo, DYFL, Staring at the Sun (LIVE), Gone, Please (LIVE), Last Night on Earth, Wake Up Dead Man.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #206 on: December 26, 2017, 06:35:17 AM »
I haven't as yet listened to either of them and was reluctant to even listen to an album by U2 titled Pop.  So I braved the song Discotheque thinking to get the worst over first, having a deep dislike for disco music as a teenager in the disco era.  Any way the video just simply cracked me up, I had such a good laugh so I might sample a few more and then be able to give an opinion.  What the heck was Edge wearing! but his guitar was awesome.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 06:39:25 AM by summerholly »

Offline Doming0

• Babyface
« Reply #207 on: January 01, 2018, 01:17:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I haven't as yet listened to either of them and was reluctant to even listen to an album by U2 titled Pop.  So I braved the song Discotheque thinking to get the worst over first, having a deep dislike for disco music as a teenager in the disco era.  Any way the video just simply cracked me up, I had such a good laugh so I might sample a few more and then be able to give an opinion.  What the heck was Edge wearing! but his guitar was awesome.

I would suggest watching Popmart Live from Mexico City to see a more fleshed out version of most of the songs.  It really does them justice.  It was a fantastic live show.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #208 on: January 01, 2018, 01:42:58 AM »

I would suggest watching Popmart Live from Mexico City to see a more fleshed out version of most of the songs.  It really does them justice.  It was a fantastic live show.

Thanks for the tip.  I spent a bit of time many years ago in Mexico City and can imagine that it would have been an awesome atmosphere as a live show

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #209 on: January 01, 2018, 03:16:17 PM »
For the 1st year of having "Pop", I preferred "Zooropa" but then, "Pop" took over, in part thanks to its original song b-sides (including "Big Girls Are Best" which was only released later).