Poll

Achtung Baby always wins best of the 90s polls, so which do you like better Zooropa or Pop?

Zooropa
117 (50.9%)
Pop
113 (49.1%)

Total Members Voted: 220

Author Topic: Which do you like better: Zooropa or Pop?  (Read 13073 times)

Offline pan360

• Babyface
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
Re: Which do you like better: Zooropa or Pop?
« Reply #210 on: January 02, 2018, 06:11:46 AM »
Even though I enjoy Zooropa a lot, it does not belong to my top five U2 albums while Pop belongs. So I voted for Pop...

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #211 on: January 02, 2018, 07:37:17 AM »
Pop for me. It holds a special place in my heart as the soundtrack to my round the world trip in 1998. Every time I listen to it I'm taken back to the backpacker's place in Alice Springs. I often think what would Pop have been like if they'd kept up the frenetic pace of the first 3 tracks for the whole album? Although I do really love the intro to IGWSHA. It's a shame the band have turned their back on this album, there were some great songs - IGWSHA, Gone, Please, SATS.

Offline miracle_al

• Stateless
« Reply #212 on: January 02, 2018, 11:31:57 AM »
What an amazing experience that must have been, suitoflights.  Would love to hear more about it.  I miss my traveling days.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
« Reply #213 on: January 02, 2018, 12:03:40 PM »
It was awesome - can't believe it's coming up for 20 years since I did this 6 month trip. I had my old Sony cassette Walkman with me - no mp3s or iPods then.
As well as Pop, OK Computer by Radiohead and the much maligned Be Here Now by Oasis were my most listened to cassettes.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • Are you tough enough to be kind?
« Reply #214 on: January 02, 2018, 04:36:01 PM »
Zooropa. And there's some who think Zooropa might even be better than Achtung Baby (but don't say that too loudly in some quarters).

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
« Reply #215 on: January 03, 2018, 01:04:00 AM »
Zooropa is definitely their most experimental work. Hard to believe it's the same band that made the Joshua Tree 6 years earlier.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • Are you tough enough to be kind?
« Reply #216 on: January 03, 2018, 12:21:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Zooropa is definitely their most experimental work. Hard to believe it's the same band that made the Joshua Tree 6 years earlier.

My first u2 CD was Zooropa at about age 13. I loved it and loved JT but I was so confused as to how they were the same band. Didn’t understand until years later about all the factors involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #217 on: April 09, 2018, 11:24:18 PM »
As one whole cohesive work, I would say Zooropa is better than Pop.

Zooropa reflects U2 at their best creatively and experimentally, considering they completed this within the span of three months and while in the midst of the Zoo TV Tour, and it shows. The album is arguably one of the most cohesive, sound and production-wise, from start to finish, and you can tell they had fun making it too with songs like Daddy's Gonna Pay and Babyface.

Pop goes for irony and satire again, but does better with starting at a party and ending at a funeral while going through the struggles and down-trotted life in the world introduced by Zooropa. Get North and South of the River on there and give TPM better lyrics in the first half (without the dated references), and you have yourself a good album that does well with starting at a party and ending at a funeral.

Really the cool thing about U2 albums is that they all tell one big story when you put it all together:

The first three albums entail growing up and being introduced to the World around them. TUF -> R&H entail exploring different places and tackling issues. AB -> Pop are more arrogant, defiant and focus on the people living in the World and mocking certain aspects of the World while still tackling issues. ATYCLB -> NLOTH are more mature and refined of the previous themes. Lastly, I & E are overall reflections on what has come before and what can be given to the next generation.

The various themes explain a person's life, from adolescence to older adulthood, which is very true considering the band started when they were right around 15-16 (at least for Bono and The Edge) and now they are almost 60.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:32:55 PM by World71R »

Offline U2boy14

• Wanderer
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #218 on: April 10, 2018, 09:16:40 AM »
Zooropa for me, although Mofo makes it close