Poll

Achtung Baby always wins best of the 90s polls, so which do you like better Zooropa or Pop?

Zooropa
117 (50.9%)
Pop
113 (49.1%)

Total Members Voted: 220

Author Topic: Which do you like better: Zooropa or Pop?  (Read 14327 times)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: Which do you like better: Zooropa or Pop?
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2017, 03:16:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Go home; you are drunk and your slip is showing. :)

I am kidding of course, but if you had taken Playboy Mansion over Dirty Day, I think might have spewed my coffee all over my screen. :)

WHOA, did you seriously take Staring At The Sun over Stay? Are you OK? Blink twice if you are being held against your will! We need help in here! Crash cart, stat!

:)
Help is on the way...please stay on the phone, sir.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2017, 03:56:21 PM »
WHOA, did you seriously take Staring At The Sun over Stay? Are you OK? Blink twice if you are being held against your will! We need help in here! Crash cart, stat!

:)
Put your hand against the screen!

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2017, 05:14:19 PM »
Zooropa jumps in the lead. Where it should stay.  :D

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2017, 08:22:33 PM »
I have to say I don't get why Zooropa is so fondly thought of. Pop is a masterpiece. If they had put Hold Me Thrill Me (I know they hadn't quite recorded it at that time) and Holy Joe on it instead of Miami and If God Will Send His Angels I would hold it in higher esteem than JT but not quite AB level. Zooropa definitely has some great moments but Babyface, Daddy's Gonna Pay and the Wanderer aren't for me. The best thing I can say for Zooropa is that I like to listen to it as it is such a different record from other U2 stuff and I do like most of it. I actually have an alternate track listing where I put Salome, Lady With the Spinning Head and Alex Descends on it as those songs fit much better on Zooropa to me than on AB (which they were B sides for) and take off the ones I mentioned above.

It saddens me a lot that U2 seem to cast aside Pop. Maybe that makes it more of an unheralded masterpiece to me as even the band don't realize what they created. 

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2017, 09:02:50 PM »
Zooropa jumps in the lead. Where it should stay.  :D

exactly.

still shocked it has the lead!

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2017, 01:11:48 PM »
I have to say I don't get why Zooropa is so fondly thought of. Pop is a masterpiece. If they had put Hold Me Thrill Me (I know they hadn't quite recorded it at that time) and Holy Joe on it instead of Miami and If God Will Send His Angels I would hold it in higher esteem than JT but not quite AB level. Zooropa definitely has some great moments but Babyface, Daddy's Gonna Pay and the Wanderer aren't for me. The best thing I can say for Zooropa is that I like to listen to it as it is such a different record from other U2 stuff and I do like most of it. I actually have an alternate track listing where I put Salome, Lady With the Spinning Head and Alex Descends on it as those songs fit much better on Zooropa to me than on AB (which they were B sides for) and take off the ones I mentioned above.

It saddens me a lot that U2 seem to cast aside Pop. Maybe that makes it more of an unheralded masterpiece to me as even the band don't realize what they created. 

Actually, you've got your timeline wrong on HMTMKMKM. That was a Zooropa-era track that was left off because it was too much of a rocker, and was reworked a little by Edge for the film Batman Forever, which was released in 1995, two years before Pop. In fact, Velvet Dress, If God Will Send His Angels and Wake Up Dead Man also were considered for Zooropa.

There are a lot of issues with Pop. First off, the fact that U2 went back to material from four years prior should tell you one thing. Secondly, the fact that the album was worked on for so long should tell you another. Lastly, the fact that Island had to pry it out of the bands' hands kicking and screaming should tell you even another. Singles were remixed and released rather than the album versions. All that work, and they still didn't like what they heard.

I think the summary of Pop is this: U2 wanted to stretch their sound and audience even further than they did on Achtung Baby and Zooropa, and at the last minute, they got cold feet. They watered down the hard techno dance sound of the album and came up with an overheated mess. Bono had writers' block. Yes, there are good songs there, but from top to bottom, the record is an overheated mess. It is the only album I can listen to and say 'What on EARTH is Bono talking about there?' He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Discotheque and MoFo, IMO, are examples of what they were going for. They stuck to their guns on those two. Please is a more traditional rock song, and a good one. So is Gone. They finally hit on good arrangement for Last Night On Earth while on tour, but again, it was a rock song that bore no resemblance to what the album was supposed to have been.

The rest? Filler. The worst songs they have put on an album, right up there with the two studio fillers on side 2 of UnFire.

Miami is a musically interesting song with sketchy lyrics that actually wasn't half bad live.
Playboy Mansion is a joke that was funny for 5 minutes.
Velvet Dress is supposed to be a sexy song that came out as sexy as granny's taupe pantyhose.
Wake Up Dead Man is a rambling screed of frustration over one riff
Do You Feel Love is a great bassline over nonsense
If God Will Send His Angels. If Hawkmoon 269 got its name from the number of mixes and takes they tried, then this one should be called If God Will Send His Angles 21,155. I think is an example of Bono having a chorus (again, goes back to Zooropa) and no idea how to deliver it melodically or what to say about it before or after. The cut and paste version that ended up as the single is way better.
Staring At The Sun is a boring attempt at psychedelia that again makes no sense and is perhaps the most boring U2 song to ever appear on an album.

So, as I have said probably too many times here, you are asking U2 why they don't celebrate their biggest commercial and critical failure to date. Do you like to go back and re-live your mistakes

Imagine Zooropa if you just added HMTMKMKM and Slow Dancing.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2017, 01:30:01 PM »
this is my current Zooropa 2.0
Zooropa
In the Name of the Father [Unidare Mix]
Babyface
Numb [EBN remix]
Lemon [Oakenfold Jeep Mix]
Stay [Underdog Mix]
DGPFYCC
HMTMKMKM
SDABTO
Dirty Day [Junk Mix]
The First Time
Miss Sarajevo [Best of Edit]
Wanderer

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2017, 01:57:38 PM »
this is my current Zooropa 2.0
Zooropa
In the Name of the Father [Unidare Mix]
Babyface
Numb [EBN remix]
Lemon [Oakenfold Jeep Mix]
Stay [Underdog Mix]
DGPFYCC
HMTMKMKM
SDABTO
Dirty Day [Junk Mix]
The First Time
Miss Sarajevo [Best of Edit]
Wanderer

This reminds me, I do need to add ITNOTF and maybe HMTMKMKM to my "disc 2" of Zooropa in iTunes.

Anyway, gun to my head, I think I'd actually go for Zooropa over Pop.  Love them both in different ways, but the atmosphere on Zooropa is cool, breezy, and quirky.  Pop is like a day that's too oppressively hot outside.  It's got some dizzying highs, but is too inconsistent.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2017, 02:06:42 PM »
my full Zooropa playlist is 52 songs. every remix, live song, demo, even the MS bsides.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2017, 02:11:02 PM »
Wow, that's a lot.  Mine's just the b-sides and remixes from the released Zooropa singles (minus Lemon, which I never picked up, but whose remixes are on the AB Uber/Unter discs), along with the Numb/Dirty Day ones from the Pop singles.

Miss Sarejevo b-sides?  I put those as "disc 2" of my "deluxe" Passengers set.  I've made every album into a deluxe, 2 disc version, whether there was a deluxe release or not.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2017, 02:17:05 PM »

Actually, you've got your timeline wrong on HMTMKMKM. That was a Zooropa-era track that was left off because it was too much of a rocker, and was reworked a little by Edge for the film Batman Forever, which was released in 1995, two years before Pop. In fact, Velvet Dress, If God Will Send His Angels and Wake Up Dead Man also were considered for Zooropa.

There are a lot of issues with Pop. First off, the fact that U2 went back to material from four years prior should tell you one thing. Secondly, the fact that the album was worked on for so long should tell you another. Lastly, the fact that Island had to pry it out of the bands' hands kicking and screaming should tell you even another. Singles were remixed and released rather than the album versions. All that work, and they still didn't like what they heard.

I think the summary of Pop is this: U2 wanted to stretch their sound and audience even further than they did on Achtung Baby and Zooropa, and at the last minute, they got cold feet. They watered down the hard techno dance sound of the album and came up with an overheated mess. Bono had writers' block. Yes, there are good songs there, but from top to bottom, the record is an overheated mess. It is the only album I can listen to and say 'What on EARTH is Bono talking about there?' He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Discotheque and MoFo, IMO, are examples of what they were going for. They stuck to their guns on those two. Please is a more traditional rock song, and a good one. So is Gone. They finally hit on good arrangement for Last Night On Earth while on tour, but again, it was a rock song that bore no resemblance to what the album was supposed to have been.

The rest? Filler. The worst songs they have put on an album, right up there with the two studio fillers on side 2 of UnFire.

Miami is a musically interesting song with sketchy lyrics that actually wasn't half bad live.
Playboy Mansion is a joke that was funny for 5 minutes.
Velvet Dress is supposed to be a sexy song that came out as sexy as granny's taupe pantyhose.
Wake Up Dead Man is a rambling screed of frustration over one riff
Do You Feel Love is a great bassline over nonsense
If God Will Send His Angels. If Hawkmoon 269 got its name from the number of mixes and takes they tried, then this one should be called If God Will Send His Angles 21,155. I think is an example of Bono having a chorus (again, goes back to Zooropa) and no idea how to deliver it melodically or what to say about it before or after. The cut and paste version that ended up as the single is way better.
Staring At The Sun is a boring attempt at psychedelia that again makes no sense and is perhaps the most boring U2 song to ever appear on an album.

So, as I have said probably too many times here, you are asking U2 why they don't celebrate their biggest commercial and critical failure to date. Do you like to go back and re-live your mistakes

Imagine Zooropa if you just added HMTMKMKM and Slow Dancing.

Great post.  ;D

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2017, 04:04:55 PM »
Wow, that's a lot.  Mine's just the b-sides and remixes from the released Zooropa singles (minus Lemon, which I never picked up, but whose remixes are on the AB Uber/Unter discs), along with the Numb/Dirty Day ones from the Pop singles.

Miss Sarejevo b-sides?  I put those as "disc 2" of my "deluxe" Passengers set.  I've made every album into a deluxe, 2 disc version, whether there was a deluxe release or not.

all the passengers one would be is the album and the 2 b-sides

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2017, 04:40:52 PM »
Pop, by a long way. Although Zooropa is fabulous.

Oh 90's U2. Where did you disappear too?  :(
Heh. Heh. Snide 2000's U2 fanboy laughs at your despair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2017, 04:54:36 PM »
Zooropa is in the lead again!

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2017, 09:56:11 PM »
Zooropa, since it's more consistent and well-executed than Pop. The other-worldly atmosphere of Zooropa remains pretty consistent all throughout the album and its highs (Stay, Zooropa) are a bit higher than Pop's highs (Mofo, Gone) while its lows (Some Days, Daddy's) are better songs than Pop's lows (WUDMducks, Miami). However, both of the albums are still really good as they are. Personally, they both hold special places for me.