Author Topic: Bono interview on Radio 2 with Chris Evans 20/4/17  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Refugee
Re: Bono interview on Radio 2 with Chris Evans 20/4/17
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 10:22:11 AM »
...has God walked through the room yet?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 10:23:55 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
...has God walked through the room yet?

Bono interview bingo - a cracking game.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
Now there's a business idea. It should be an app called Bongo.

Offline opening night

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 10:33:46 AM »
He said they would play nearly 40 shows in Europe and America. In fact they do 33. Or was he already counting some South America shows? Did he include SA in "America"? No.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 10:39:50 AM »

Wasn't there a member on here who used to always refer to Bono as Bongo?....sure there was!...used to enjoy reading posts.

Unless i imagined it....but then i still enjoyed it!

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 10:45:33 AM »
He said they would play nearly 40 shows in Europe and America. In fact they do 33. Or was he already counting some South America shows? Did he include SA in "America"? No.

Sometimes I wonder if they know what city they're in

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 10:53:50 AM »
That Pride-riff is very distracting!

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 12:23:27 PM »

Wasn't there a member on here who used to always refer to Bono as Bongo?....sure there was!...used to enjoy reading posts.

Yes I believe you are right, and the posts were interesting. But does Bongo have a Bono-bingo app? No sir!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 12:26:16 PM »

Yes I believe you are right, and the posts were interesting. But does Bongo have a Bono-bingo app? No sir!

Not yet he dosen't...

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 01:26:35 PM »
Are they not a band who looks back and this tour is not a nostagia one....these songs are really relevant to today!?

Haha, I always laugh when the band says (as they've done since the JT2017 announcement) that "We're not in the habit of looking back, but in this case we just feel compelled to against our will," or whatever. Umm, I'm pretty sure they've been "looking back" for 20 years:

1. They remade Sweetest Thing and put out a video for it.

2. They've put out a bunch of Best Of type compilations.

3. They toured ATYCLB by saying they want to regain what they'd lost

4. Bono would intro the band and intro songs like OOC by saying "We're an Irish band called U2, this is our first single."

5. They explicitly explained HTDAAB by saying they found themselves going back to Boy, and even playing old cuts from Boy on that tour.

6. They explicitly admitted to "going back" to the songs from AB in prep for Glastonbury, which was the whole premise behind the FTSD documentary.

7. The entire rationale behind SOI and the i&e tour was a look back at their roots.

8. And now they're touring an album that came out when The Cosby Show was prime time and people were still reeling over learning who shot J.R.

I don't begrudge them most of these forays into nostalgic territory (I loved FTSD), but they're either dishonest about or unaware of just how backward-focused they've been for the last 20 years.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 02:08:28 PM »
Are they not a band who looks back and this tour is not a nostagia one....these songs are really relevant to today!?

Haha, I always laugh when the band says (as they've done since the JT2017 announcement) that "We're not in the habit of looking back, but in this case we just feel compelled to against our will," or whatever. Umm, I'm pretty sure they've been "looking back" for 20 years:

4. Bono would intro the band and intro songs like OOC by saying "We're an Irish band called U2, this is our first single."

5. They explicitly explained HTDAAB by saying they found themselves going back to Boy, and even playing old cuts from Boy on that tour.

6. They explicitly admitted to "going back" to the songs from AB in prep for Glastonbury, which was the whole premise behind the FTSD documentary.

7. The entire rationale behind SOI and the i&e tour was a look back at their roots.

8. And now they're touring an album that came out when The Cosby Show was prime time and people were still reeling over learning who shot J.R.

I don't begrudge them most of these forays into nostalgic territory (I loved FTSD), but they're either dishonest about or unaware of just how backward-focused they've been for the last 20 years.
Agreed, but against this, they still put out albums and they play many songs off their last album when touring them, so i guess it depends who you compare to and what is "a lot" of looking back?

Offline opening night

• Wanderer
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 02:15:17 PM »
Ha ha. Awesome, the exile!

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 02:52:01 PM »

Agreed, but against this, they still put out albums and they play many songs off their last album when touring them, so i guess it depends who you compare to and what is "a lot" of looking back?

Here's a basic rule in my own thinking: If U2 puts out a new album and tours it, playing some of its new songs alongside old hits, and then drops every single song from that album the moment they launch a new tour, it's hard to avoid thinking that the new music is just a pretense for a big old hits tour.

U2 put out NLOTH and began the 360 tour playing 7 songs from that album. They eventually dwindled it down to a few, and they dropped all of them when they toured their next album, while still playing Beautiful Day and IWF, of course.

It's almost as if they are admitting that their catalog of defining songs ended with Vertigo. Hats off to them, I guess, since I think that is pretty much true. But it doesn't have to be.

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »

Have to agree with a lot of this.  I mentioned something about this a few weeks ago here:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The gist being:  "Anyway, it seems that once U2 began looking back with All That You Can’t Leave Behind, that’s what they’ve continued to do for the past 17+ years.  Once they started to look back, it’s been difficult for them to look forward again."   

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 05:51:27 PM »

He guessitimated. I'm guessing when you're Bono, you might have a lot of other things on your mind besides the exact number of tour dates you're doing.