Are they not a band who looks back and this tour is not a nostagia one....these songs are really relevant to today!?
Haha, I always laugh when the band says (as they've done since the JT2017 announcement) that "We're not in the habit of looking back, but in this case we just feel compelled to against our will," or whatever. Umm, I'm pretty sure they've been "looking back" for 20 years:
1. They remade Sweetest Thing and put out a video for it.
2. They've put out a bunch of Best Of type compilations.
3. They toured ATYCLB by saying they want to regain what they'd lost
4. Bono would intro the band and intro songs like OOC by saying "We're an Irish band called U2, this is our first single."
5. They explicitly explained HTDAAB by saying they found themselves going back to Boy, and even playing old cuts from Boy on that tour.
6. They explicitly admitted to "going back" to the songs from AB in prep for Glastonbury, which was the whole premise behind the FTSD documentary.
7. The entire rationale behind SOI and the i&e tour was a look back at their roots.
8. And now they're touring an album that came out when The Cosby Show was prime time and people were still reeling over learning who shot J.R.
I don't begrudge them most of these forays into nostalgic territory (I loved FTSD), but they're either dishonest about or unaware of just how backward-focused they've been for the last 20 years.