Author Topic: Red Hill Mining Town 2017 is on iTunes  (Read 1306 times)

Online ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
Red Hill Mining Town 2017 is on iTunes
« on: April 21, 2017, 12:21:43 AM »
Just bought it on iTunes.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Samdoyle1987

• Babyface
Re: Red Hill Mining Town 2017 is on iTunes
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 02:30:13 AM »
Did they use the 87 vocals for the chorus? Or did bono re record it?

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 03:31:12 AM »
It's on Spotify, too. As far as I can hear the vocals are from the original. Bono must be happy with those vocals, can't blame him. The remix adds little for me, it's almost too similar to the original. And I really miss the ambience of the original "we scorched the earth..." part, the new mix of the keyboard is too low or something. Spoken like a true fan, not sure anyone will notice...

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 03:55:57 AM »
Yeah it's appeared on my weekly auto updated Release Radar playlist. It's a decent mix, not sure if ads anything to the original though.
I forgot how much of an earworm this song is though, can't get the tune out of my head.

Offline georgemccauley

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 05:02:27 AM »
Fantastic, is there anywhere in the UK available to buy it lossless the 7 digital store only for US customers...

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 10:09:36 AM »
Interesting.  I was planning on maybe buying the the JT deluxe set on iTunes, just for the new stuff on it.  If I could just buy the individual tracks I want, that would be even better.  I don't expect they'll let us at first--maybe after a few years.

Offline zoonation76

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 10:28:28 AM »
The vocal is clearly re-recorded.  Not even close.

Online ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 10:40:17 AM »
The vocal is clearly re-recorded.  Not even close.

The verses are re-recorded, but the choruses are from the original.

Offline DPardue

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 11:03:50 AM »
Is the sound quality for the iTunes version better than the version that has been floating around the last week or so?

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »
Is the sound quality for the iTunes version better than the version that has been floating around the last week or so?
I would assume the answer is yes... that recording is an MP3 file whereas the iTunes version should be ALAC (Apple's version of FLAC, or Free Lossless Audio Codec), which is the best digital audio quality.

Online tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 12:23:18 PM »

I can't speak to iTunes, but on Spotify the answer is YES. I was listening to the song in 320kbps quality and it brought out backing vocals and other sounds that I hadn't heard with the version floating around the web.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 04:36:47 PM »
I would assume the answer is yes... that recording is an MP3 file whereas the iTunes version should be ALAC (Apple's version of FLAC, or Free Lossless Audio Codec), which is the best digital audio quality.

iTunes sells files in "m4a" format at 256 kbps, which is essentially the same as a 320 kbps mp3. I think ALAC is only used if you rip your CDs through iTunes using that as an option.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 05:49:18 PM »

iTunes sells files in "m4a" format at 256 kbps, which is essentially the same as a 320 kbps mp3. I think ALAC is only used if you rip your CDs through iTunes using that as an option.
My bad, I don't actually use iTunes, so I wouldn't know for sure.

Offline DPardue

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 06:38:12 PM »

I can't speak to iTunes, but on Spotify the answer is YES. I was listening to the song in 320kbps quality and it brought out backing vocals and other sounds that I hadn't heard with the version floating around the web.

I downloaded it and compared to the web floating version, it is indeed better.  The previous version was a bit lacking when it came to bass.  I can tell a significant difference in the bass on the new version.

Online tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 08:04:20 PM »

My bad, I don't actually use iTunes, so I wouldn't know for sure.

256kbps, to most ears, will sound about as good as 320kbps, while 320kbps will sound about as good as lossless (FLAC) to most ears. Those who are audiophiles (myself being one) can tell the difference, but most won't be able to. That said, an iTunes or Spotify version of a song at 320kbps or 256kbps will almost always sound better than a recording of a streamed song because the streamed version is usually lower quality and then you're often recording an even lower quality version of that one. So while the "leaked" version going around has a VBR of 322kbps, it's not nearly as good as the 320kbps version on Spotify.