Bad
37 (30.3%)
Until The End of The World
33 (27%)
Where The Streets Have No Name
28 (23%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: May 07, 2017, 10:07:14 AM

Author Topic: U2 Album Track Tournament - The Semi Final  (Read 1957 times)

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
Re: U2 Album Track Tournament - The Semi Final
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 09:32:44 AM »
I went with Streets and Bad.  But man that was hard.  I just love how transcendent those songs are live.  But then you have Fly and ...World and those are so rocking live.  Not sure if I made the right choice.  They are all tied for #1 for me.  LOL.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 10:49:11 AM »
Streets and UTEOTW

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 10:55:55 AM »
Come on, Streets...get back in the running!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 12:41:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I absolutely loved on the SOI European leg when they segued into Streets from Zooropa...stunning (except for Bono talking through it all 

This brings up a question: During that part of the show, what does Bono mean when he talks about "a Europe with its heart open and its borders closed to mercy"?

It seems like the answer to his question of "What do we want?" would be a Europe with its heart open and its borders open to mercy, right? The whole thing just confuses me.

Lil' help?

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »
I absolutely loved on the SOI European leg when they segued into Streets from Zooropa...stunning (except for Bono talking through it all 

This brings up a question: During that part of the show, what does Bono mean when he talks about "a Europe with its heart open and its borders closed to mercy"?

It seems like the answer to his question of "What do we want?" would be a Europe with its heart open and its borders open to mercy, right? The whole thing just confuses me.

Lil' help?
Sorry...I kinda close my ears when Bono starts talking, and open them again when he starts singing!  :-[

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2017, 12:51:33 PM »

Lil' help?
He says 'or' instead of 'and'.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2017, 12:53:12 PM »

Lil' help?

No he doesn't, at least not on the Turin bootleg I am listening to.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2017, 01:00:31 PM »

Lil' help?

Maybe he his struggling with his words in Turin ;). Listened to the Turinversion, and he says 'and', indeed.

This was in Paris:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:05:21 PM by JFW »

Offline Zoomerang77

• Stateless
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2017, 03:35:56 PM »
Fly and Streets for me. Very difficult not picking Bad, but I'd to go with the ones that really speak to me.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2017, 03:39:03 PM »
There are still an uneven number of votes, even though we were supposed to pick two songs each. I know it doesn't matter a hoot, but it was hard enough picking only two songs...how could anyone only pick one? It was SO hard to choose two, but to choose only one? My mind is boggled!

Offline Zoomerang77

• Stateless
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2017, 03:40:49 PM »
We are typical fans in that we always complain about setlists, but U2 frequently play these 4 tracks at their live shows.  For me, they're all excellent live.
Those three or four (have my doubts on streets. Don't hate it but I'm not searching the internet for live versions of it) aren't the weak spots of their setlists. I've got a feeling that The Fly and even UTEOTW would not be on the standard setlist this tour. Would love to see them live
UTEOTW is incredible live. Just incredible. (so is Streets  ;D)
The song comes more to his right live. It's a bit flat on the album. It's a story telling song, and fits very well in the IE tour. And that poem afterwards, great! While typing this I'm regretting that I vote for Bad instead of UTEOTW.
(It is, probably. Maybe I have to search the internet for it  ;). Could you find me the best live performance of Streets for me?)
My favorite performance of Streets is on the Rattle & Hum dvd, they do a nice long intro...which to me is the best part of the song...the organ, the guitar, the lighting they used at that time.  There are other good versions...but this is my fav. Oh, I have to say that I absolutely loved on the SOI European leg when they segued into Streets from Zooropa...stunning (except for Bono talking through it all  :D).

That said, the bit where bono says "you will not have our hatred" just before the swelling upward chord change I found utterly spine tingling. That segue was hands down the highlight of that concert film to me.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2017, 04:24:47 PM »

Lil' help?

Maybe he his struggling with his words in Turin ;). Listened to the Turinversion, and he says 'and', indeed.

This was in Paris:

Ah, gotcha. Makes sense, thanks!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2017, 04:39:08 PM »
There are still an uneven number of votes, even though we were supposed to pick two songs each. I know it doesn't matter a hoot, but it was hard enough picking only two songs...how could anyone only pick one? It was SO hard to choose two, but to choose only one? My mind is boggled!

Could be a mistake by somebody or could be deliberate....for example in some of the early rounds there were groups were i couldn't pick the maximum number because i just didn't like enough songs in a group.

It is more unlikely in these latter stages but you never know.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »

Could be a mistake by somebody or could be deliberate....for example in some of the early rounds there were groups were i couldn't pick the maximum number because i just didn't like enough songs in a group.

Yes, but I kinda meant to insinuate that we will all have to choose just one eventually...and how the heck are we going to do that? (I think I wasn't very clear in my silliness!)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2017, 04:54:58 PM »

Yes, but I kinda meant to insinuate that we will all have to choose just one eventually...and how the heck are we going to do that? (I think I wasn't very clear in my silliness!)

Ah! cool....