Bad
37 (30.3%)
Until The End of The World
33 (27%)
Where The Streets Have No Name
28 (23%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: May 07, 2017, 10:07:14 AM

Author Topic: U2 Album Track Tournament - The Semi Final  (Read 1257 times)

Offline JFW

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
Re: U2 Album Track Tournament - The Semi Final
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2017, 04:56:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There are still an uneven number of votes, even though we were supposed to pick two songs each. I know it doesn't matter a hoot, but it was hard enough picking only two songs...how could anyone only pick one? It was SO hard to choose two, but to choose only one? My mind is boggled!

Could be a mistake by somebody or could be deliberate....for example in some of the early rounds there were groups were i couldn't pick the maximum number because i just didn't like enough songs in a group.

It is more unlikely in these latter stages but you never know.
If I really want to get a song which is fourth to the next round, it's not smart to choose one of the others.

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2017, 04:57:04 PM »
There are still an uneven number of votes, even though we were supposed to pick two songs each. I know it doesn't matter a hoot, but it was hard enough picking only two songs...how could anyone only pick one? It was SO hard to choose two, but to choose only one? My mind is boggled!

Could be a mistake by somebody or could be deliberate....for example in some of the early rounds there were groups were i couldn't pick the maximum number because i just didn't like enough songs in a group.

It is more unlikely in these latter stages but you never know.
If I really want to get a song which is fourth to the next round, it's not smart to choose one of the others.
Ah, man! That is just too smart...very sly JFW !

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2017, 06:16:32 PM »
This forum certainly shows one thing - there is no accounting for taste.

As of now, apparently Streets is better than The Fly...... ;D

To be correct - Streets is more POPULAR than The Fly, which of course means its not actually better.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:05:46 AM by Spacejunk69 »

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2017, 06:26:19 PM »
yeah, yeah, yeah.

I'm surprised that Bad is beating The Fly and UTEOTW...my prediction is that UTEOTW will beat everything in the end. But, what do I know...I voted for Streets!  :)

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2017, 06:36:38 PM »
...my prediction is that UTEOTW will beat everything in the end.

I would be OK with this (or with The Fly or Bad winning, as they are all great songs). If Streets won it'd kind of delegitimize this whole thing for me, as it just doesn't hold a candle to its competitors in my opinion.

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2017, 06:40:55 PM »

I would be OK with this (or with The Fly or Bad winning, as they are all great songs). If Streets won it'd kind of delegitimize this whole thing for me, as it just doesn't hold a candle to its competitors in my opinion.

Delegitimize?

This is a poll. Everything is legitimate, even if Crazy Tonight had won.

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2017, 06:42:52 PM »

Delegitimize?

Even if Wild Honey won?  :o

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2017, 08:28:51 PM »

Delegitimize?

Even if Wild Honey won?  :o

Wild Hones >>> Crazy Tonight

Offline JFW

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2017, 01:29:59 AM »
yeah, yeah, yeah.

I'm surprised that Bad is beating The Fly and UTEOTW...my prediction is that UTEOTW will beat everything in the end. But, what do I know...I voted for Streets!  :)
Had a sort of hope that The Fly would be winning - that hope is Gone (another good song).

I'm really surprised that UTEOTW is making it this far. If Bad and UTEOTW is going to the next round, I'm wondering what The Fly/Streets voters will vote: Bad or UTEOTW

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2017, 05:17:56 AM »
yeah, yeah, yeah.

Had a sort of hope that The Fly would be winning - that hope is Gone (another good song).

I'm really surprised that UTEOTW is making it this far. If Bad and UTEOTW is going to the next round, I'm wondering what The Fly/Streets voters will vote: Bad or UTEOTW
This is such a great tourney!

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2017, 10:13:22 AM »
yeah, yeah, yeah.

For you yes, because its odds on Streets will win. Me, as Exile points out above, will feel like the whole thing has been a waste of time as people on here just seem to vote for songs they like or prefer - that's all ok, but  in no way is it an indicator of quality.

Do I like Streets - yes, ok I will admit it. Live its amazing, done right (Zoo TV) its a brilliant part of the show. But I rank the song so far down my list of U2's BEST songs. Its very U2 by the numbers. UTEOTW, Please, Acrobat, Mofo, Gone, Last Night On Earth etc.....so much more to those songs for me and infinitely more enjoyable, and many more.

But each to there own, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and vote how they wish on a public forum. And I respect that.

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2017, 10:28:08 AM »
yeah, yeah, yeah.

For you yes, because its odds on Streets will win. Me, as Exile points out above, will feel like the whole thing has been a waste of time as people on here just seem to vote for songs they like or prefer - that's all ok, but  in no way is it an indicator of quality.

Do I like Streets - yes, ok I will admit it. Live its amazing, done right (Zoo TV) its a brilliant part of the show. But I rank the song so far down my list of U2's BEST songs. Its very U2 by the numbers. UTEOTW, Please, Acrobat, Mofo, Gone, Last Night On Earth etc.....so much more to those songs for me and infinitely more enjoyable, and many more.

But each to there own, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and vote how they wish on a public forum. And I respect that.
Thanks, I admit I have a terrible weakness for Streets, mostly the intro and outro. I tried really hard to vote for The Fly, but Streets just, uh, got me. I actually hope that UTEOTW wins. I wish Mofo was in the final four instead of Bad, even though I think Bad is a great song.
Anyway...I do admit that there are better songs than Streets...I just have no willpower to do the right thing sometimes. :)

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2017, 11:02:47 AM »
yeah, yeah, yeah.

Thanks, I admit I have a terrible weakness for Streets, mostly the intro and outro. I tried really hard to vote for The Fly, but Streets just, uh, got me. I actually hope that UTEOTW wins. I wish Mofo was in the final four instead of Bad, even though I think Bad is a great song.
Anyway...I do admit that there are better songs than Streets...I just have no willpower to do the right thing sometimes. :)

Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Streets I think live has actually stood the test of time better than any other JT song. WOWY is just horrible to listen to now. It will be interesting this tour - what arrangements they will go with etc.....I have a feeling it all be original incarnations. Pity, as I would love to hear the Zoo TV version of RTSS and BTBS.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2017, 12:09:02 PM »
I'm surprised so many people on the forum are keen to criticise Streets.  I do wonder how many of the critics were fans when TJT and Streets came out.   In 1987 Streets was groundbreaking for U2, certainly not "U2 by numbers".  There is no other song like it on TJT or on the previous U2 records (Boy to TUF). 

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2017, 12:19:52 PM »
I'm surprised so many people on the forum are keen to criticise Streets.  I do wonder how many of the critics were fans when TJT and Streets came out.   In 1987 Streets was groundbreaking for U2, certainly not "U2 by numbers".  There is no other song like it on TJT or on the previous U2 records (Boy to TUF).
Some people criticize it, some people just say it's not one of their best songs. I agree that it may not be their best, but it is truly a spine-tingler, especially live. After the SOI tour was over, my guy and I went to watch the Paris show at a friends house (they had recorded it, was it an HBO thing?) anyway...when Zooropa segued into Streets, I actually cried. So beautiful. There is not enough true beauty in this world...that segue was true beauty.