Author Topic: Made a song in GarageBand...  (Read 264 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Made a song in GarageBand...
« on: April 30, 2017, 09:50:18 PM »
...and I was hoping I could get some feedback from y'all. It was made entirely using GarageBand-- no real insturmwntion or anything. As someone who has never even played an instrument before, I hope you like it (or at least find it ok)!

Here's a link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Made a song in GarageBand...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 07:02:35 AM »
Can you post link in another way?

Don't have a dropbox account...

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »
I'll have to try later when I am at a computer.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 11:10:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Nice one looking forward to hearing it....if necessary i'll create an account.

I might have a go myself - a homage to elevation i think!

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 11:29:24 AM »

Nice one looking forward to hearing it....if necessary i'll create an account.

I might have a go myself - a homage to elevation i think!
Oh, please! I would love to hear an an tha tribute to 2000s U2!

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 04:11:01 PM »
Ok here's my song! I never mentioned it, but it is actually an instrumental (I can't sing any better than an tha, unfortunately...):

Any feedback/constructive criticism is appreciated! It doesn't have a title currently, so any help with creating one would be nice as well...

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 04:53:12 PM »
some nice touches....i prefer it when there is less going on like the section from about 1.35 - 2.05 and towards the end.

Always tricky with instrumental 'rock' songs - but i just feel that less is more with your song....and it works best when it has room to breathe a bit and is certainly more interesting when the sonic assault is less in your face.

It wasn't horrible though and what do i know!

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 05:07:03 PM »
Thanks, an tha! I totally agree with your assessment... it's tricky to make the simple stuff sound interesting when you are doing everything digitally-- too boring and synthetic... so I tried to rely on the guitar part to carry it though. Oh, and that part you mentioned definitely nails it the best I ever have. Glad to hear some reassurance!

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 05:23:31 PM »
Hey, Wookiee, I know I'm just an old square, but what is Garageband?

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 05:41:25 PM »
Haha, riffraff, don't act like you're that old!  :)

GarageBand is just a basic DAW, or Digital Audio Workplace. If you have an instrument that can somehow plug into your Mac, iPhone, or iPad (the three systems GarageBand is compatible with), you can record them on it. Or, if you are like me and can't play anything, you can use the digital instruments to play (or program, rather) riffs and chord progressions. There's drums, guitars, basses, keyboards, and even now some Chinese instruments...

GarageBand is not the most professional software, but that one band "Gorillaz" made an entire album with it and I'm pretty sure that Edge used it to make the initial Get On Your Boots mix.

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »

GarageBand is just a basic DAW, or Digital Audio Workplace. If you have an instrument that can somehow plug into your Mac, iPhone, or iPad (the three systems GarageBand is compatible with), you can record them on it. Or, if you are like me and can't play anything, you can use the digital instruments to play (or program, rather) riffs and chord progressions. There's drums, guitars, basses, keyboards, and even now some Chinese instruments...

GarageBand is not the most professional software, but that one band "Gorillaz" made an entire album with it and I'm pretty sure that Edge used it to make the initial Get On Your Boots mix.
Very cool...thanks! It sounds like great fun. I'm so far behind the rest of the world as far as technology...I don't even click on very many links (such as your song on this thread) because most of the time when I do,  my old antique laptop goes belly-up for a while. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 05:50:19 PM »

Very cool...thanks! It sounds like great fun. I'm so far behind the rest of the world as far as technology...I don't even click on very many links (such as your song on this thread) because most of the time when I do,  my old antique laptop goes belly-up for a while. Anyway, thanks for the info.
Well, check it out if your laptop allows! I remember you mentioned something about not being able to play guitar anymore in another thread... could be a way for you to start making music again (or just playing it, whatever).

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »

Well, check it out if your laptop allows! I remember you mentioned something about not being able to play guitar anymore in another thread... could be a way for you to start making music again (or just playing it, whatever).
Yeah, my hand got mucked up a bit...one finger still doesn't work right, so no more guitar or piano for me. It's ok...I just listen to others play now...