Author Topic: SPOILERS TJT rehearsals.  (Read 44268 times)

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
Re: SPOILERS TJT rehearsals.
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2017, 11:25:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Always do utetow. No more Walk On.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never a finer word spoken.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
SPOILERS TJT rehearsals.
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2017, 11:36:06 AM »

Thanks.  UTEOTW is the best executed face melter live in the entire catalogue. They could play it in their sleep. Doesn't strain voice Bono's either.  His voice has to run a 25 song marathon.

ALWAYS PLAY IT

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2017, 11:38:37 AM »

Thanks.  UTEOTW is the best executed face melter live in the entire catalogue. They could play it in their sleep. Doesn't strain voice Bono's either.  His voice has to run a 25 song marathon.

ALWAYS PLAY IT

Agreed, although UTEOTW is probably one of my favorite U2 songs, so I might be a little biased.  ;)

But yeah, the song is energetic live, particularly the interaction between Bono/The Edge.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2017, 11:38:51 AM »
SOunds to me as if we may well be getting a Piano version of RHMT. I really hope not tho, as it is the guitar work that makes the song for me.

I never understand why they have such troubles recreating studio versions when tribute bands can do it flawlessly. Same goes for EBW
I think it's because for many songs, they want the live version to be different from studio, and I like that.

Also likely to be a result of contouring the set to ensure they have slow and fast moments strategically placed. The options then become add a song that doesn't fit the theme or don't want to play or bastardise a song to make it fit  ;D
Yes probably right,and eloquently put :-). Having seen 100+ shows from other artists, I have to say U2 is very good at pacing shows with the right mix of slow/fast songs etc.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2017, 11:40:25 AM »
And have y'all ever heard of addition by subtraction?

No ELEVATION!
No UTEOTW!
No VERTIGO!

Casual fans would hate this. Heck, even I would miss two of those three songs.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2017, 11:43:11 AM »
Not including UV, I am not happy at all that these songs are being rehearsed. I do not need to or want to here these ever again. Tired old songs that have been played too many times for far too long.

1. It's the first day of rehearsals, not the seventh or eighth.
2. Seems like the thought of seeing Ultraviolet again has a lot of people excited. I'm not exactly thinking "Heaven forbid I hear it for a second time in my life instead of just once," personally.
3. I've seen seven shows and never seen New Year's Day live. Ever. I doubt everyone else has either.
I have seen NYD live at least twice, at the JT tour and at IE in London and maybe on Zoo TV or Zooropa but I can't remember exactly. Weird thing is although I like NYD, for me it is not the crowd starter you would think it is, it's actually a pretty mellow song live.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2017, 11:50:02 AM »
Not including UV, I am not happy at all that these songs are being rehearsed. I do not need to or want to here these ever again. Tired old songs that have been played too many times for far too long.

1. It's the first day of rehearsals, not the seventh or eighth.
2. Seems like the thought of seeing Ultraviolet again has a lot of people excited. I'm not exactly thinking "Heaven forbid I hear it for a second time in my life instead of just once," personally.
3. I've seen seven shows and never seen New Year's Day live. Ever. I doubt everyone else has either.
I have seen NYD live at least twice, at the JT tour and at IE in London and maybe on Zoo TV or Zooropa but I can't remember exactly. Weird thing is although I like NYD, for me it is not the crowd starter you would think it is, it's actually a pretty mellow song live.

I've never heard it live, but then again I only saw them twice on the 360 tour. It does seem like NYD wouldn't exactly be a crowd mover in the same way Vertigo or even COBL are. And I think they need as many crowd movers as they can get on TJT tour given the mellowness of a few JT tracks.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2017, 11:50:38 AM »
SOunds to me as if we may well be getting a Piano version of RHMT. I really hope not tho, as it is the guitar work that makes the song for me.

I never understand why they have such troubles recreating studio versions when tribute bands can do it flawlessly. Same goes for EBW
I think it's because for many songs, they want the live version to be different from studio, and I like that.

Also likely to be a result of contouring the set to ensure they have slow and fast moments strategically placed. The options then become add a song that doesn't fit the theme or don't want to play or bastardise a song to make it fit  ;D
Yes probably right,and eloquently put :-). Having seen 100+ shows from other artists, I have to say U2 is very good at pacing shows with the right mix of slow/fast songs etc.
I really want to hear UTEOTW every show this tour. But I think it's hard to fit it in the setlist they probably have: a setlist before TJT, and one after. Before it will probably a mix of hits and slower songs (Miss Sarajevo will fit perfectly! It's one of the songs I'm exploring now. First I didn't like it, but now...). And after their will be some Achtung Baby songs. Those will be more catchy songs. UV is likely according the rehearsals, probably One, Even Better and Mysterious Ways wouldn't surprise me. The Fly will fit in that category, too. But UTEOTW...? It's more a story and a deep song, but not in the way One is.

But keep up the hope, people!

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2017, 11:53:48 AM »
I think we should be really happy with the setlist it is going to look like. So, please, don't be too hard on those four men  :)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2017, 11:59:46 AM »
I think we should be really happy with the setlist it is going to look like. So, please, don't be too hard on those four men  :)
Really! Just enjoy whatever they offer...be thankful to be there...and the old stupid saying "don't worry, be happy". ugh. sorry.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »

U2 may have a specific vibe or whatever that they're looking to communicate live with the song that the studio version may not do, so they try different versions. The cover band is just looking to do a strict imitation. Different goals, possibly.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2017, 12:08:59 PM »

Feel free to do both...

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2017, 12:11:35 PM »

"Totes!" as the youth of today would say...

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2017, 12:16:01 PM »
They probably don't need much work on Utetow.  It's actually not hard on guitar. Don't need to fix what's never been broken since 92.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »
god i hope they don't turn their backs on SOI.