Author Topic: How long have you loved U2? First concert and where? favorite album  (Read 1463 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
Re: How long have you loved U2? First concert and where? favorite album
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 12:01:37 AM »
Since roughly December 2005. My story is probably different than most in that I initially HATED U2 with a passion. I blame it on an overexposure of the greatest hits albums (courtesy of my dad and brother), being a moody teenager with a terrible taste in music, and buying into the negative hype about Bono. I thought they were an annoying old person band.

Then I got interested in music beyond a merely casual level. My tastes shifted and I took up the guitar. I wanted to be cultured, to listen to the proclaimed "great" albums and artists. "The Joshua Tree" kept getting mentioned on just about every list I researched online. Eventually, I gave in and got a copy of the album. The first track played, then the second, then the third. Decent enough songs, but I already knew them from the greatest hits and these songs were a little boring (at the time) to me since I loved rock music.

And then "Bullet The Blue Sky" kicked in and it was all over for me. I was pleasantly shocked that U2 could actually write a passionate hard rocking song! TJT stayed in my CD player for weeks after that and I eventually "borrowed" those greatest hits albums from my dad. From there I picked up "Achtung Baby". If TJT was the album that made me a fan of U2, AB was the album that made them one of my favorite bands. AB eventually took over TJT as my favorite U2 album.

My first U2 concert was Chicago night 2 on the 360 Tour in 2009. In a bit of a full circle thing, I was actually the one who dragged my dad to that concert (or, more accurately, convinced him to take the 5 hour trek with me since they didn't have any Michigan dates on the tour at that point). Great show, but the second show I went to in 2011 (at Spartan Stadium) was even better.

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 10:12:14 AM »
I'm 43. I became a big fan in the late 80s (in my late teens) when my cousin taped me The Joshua Tree and I listened to it over and over again until the tape barely played properly. I hoovered up every thing I could find becoming a collector of all the 7"s, 12", LPs, tapes, VHS tapes and CDs. By the time Achtung Baby came out in 1991 I was a rabid fan and had accumulated virtually the entire back catalogue. I bought it on the day of release and have done this with every release since - album, single, DVD - to this day. U2 are something of an anomaly in my record collection as my main love is punk and all it's many strands. Bands that would probably hate U2.

I first saw U2 live in 1993 at Roundhay Park, Leeds on the Zooropa tour and have never seen anything that comes close since. I've seen every tour since, except Vertigo. I was one of the ones Larry apologised to who missed out in the ticketing debacle, and I'm gearing up for The Joshua Tree at Twickenham, London this summer. It'll be my seventh and my teenage daughters second U2 concert. I find it a very emotional experience taking my daughter to see my band like this. She is 17 and has jumped on board after we had U2 in the car as a kid but has been there for the release day excitement of Songs of Innocence and No Line On The Horizon, not to mention the spectacular O2 concert on the I&E tour.

Favourite album will always be The Joshua Tree. It is so indelibly wrapped up in my youth and has been every where with me from college to University to adult life. I probably still listen to it at least once a week and it still astounds and moves me as it did all those years ago. Ridiculously excited to see it live ...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:45:14 PM by Marvinho »

Offline Rasmus

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 06:57:08 PM »
Since 1997 when i heard Discoteque on the radio... I was 14 and it just blew my mind. So I got the album (Pop) and it was just an amazing experience to hear music like that. That album made me go back through their discography which was even more amazing - the development the band had gone through from albums like War to Zooropa. My favorite album is probably still Pop or Achtung Baby.

I didnt manage to catch them on the Popmart tour but saw them twice on the Elevation Tour in Copenhagen in 2001 with my best friend which was great :).

Offline Achtung Ninja

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 02:54:42 PM »
Going on thirty years. 1st concert was the Joshua Tree Tour '87 at. Oakland Stadium. Favorite album AB.

There's lots of great stories here.

I wrote a 3-part piece about when I became a fan.  I'm always thought that when someone became a fan was just as important as why.  Some of us became fans when we were really like, like myself.  Some came to the party a little later in life.  It's all good.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Please check it out of you are interested. I'd love to know your thoughts. Thanks. :)

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • WE'RE SO SICK OF IT.
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 03:15:28 PM »
Since about '93 (13 years old). My dad brought home The Joshua Tree record about 2 years earlier. I thought they were weird at first. Then I saw the Mysterious Ways video and yep, my feelings about Bono, particularly, being weird were confirmed. Put them away.

Then, everything changed as it does when you're 13. First time I saw them was the Pop Mart Chicago 2nd show. Favorite album is now The Unforgettable Fire. It just has an aesthetic the others I don't. I can't quite explain why. I know other albums have better quality song writing from top to bottom.

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
  • Don't mind me... just some cool guy.
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 08:50:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm a quite fresh fan. Got into U2 medio 2013, so SOI is ny first 'new album'. I knew U2 for a while, but nothing more than a band. I couldn't say which songs they've made that time. Just a few songs like One and Sunday Bloody Sunday were known by me. My dad always had one album: Rattle and Hum, but he had the songs put on a USB-stick or CD with other songs of other artists, so I knew the songs, but not that is was from U2.

Because I had heard they have deep songs (the first that has been introduced by me were SBS, 40 and Grace). So I started to listen more to U2. In that time I also started to play guitar, and tried some of their songs. Slowly I realised how many U2 songs I knew (very well).

A sort time later I put all their songs on a list on Spotify and downloaded it. When I had to walk back from a lake, because my bicycle was broken, I started to play that list and put it on shuffle. I Will Follow, I Still Haven't Found,  Running To Stand Still, I Fall Down and Wake Up Dead Man were the first songs I heard. It surprised me I didn't get bored listening (most of the times I listen a long time to one artist I'm getting bored), my conclusion was: U2 has many sides!

The following months I listened more to U2, all on shuffle. Because of their great catalog I got lost in their songs. I started to remember tunes of them, but couldn't find them back. So I started to listen to a few seconds of every song, and I found out it were Drowning Man, Stranger In A Strange Land, If God Will Send His Angles. From that moment I decided to listen to albums in order, instead of shuffle.

After a year or so I started collecting vinyl. And now the studio album collection is almost completed!

First concert is gonna be: 2nd Amsterdam this year
Favorite album: Pop, maybe Zooropa, maybe SOI, maybe AB

My experience is a bit similar to yours. I have been listening to U2 my whole life, though obviously at a very young age I wasn't listening to them of my own accord. My parents have been big U2 fans since the '80s, so they always played their music in the house.  As a kid, I recognized most of their songs, though the ones I knew best were probably the ones from ATYCLB and HTDAAB because they were the newest albums out at the time (I was born in 1999). I also knew the songs from the Best of 1980-1990 and Best of 1990-2000 a lot, and I would watch the music videos for those songs often, along with various DVDs of live performances that my dad owned. So I definitely liked them a lot growing up.

As I got older though, I started to see them as a childhood band. I still thought they were good, but I wasn't that into a lot of music in general at the time, so I didn't really listen to them on my own. They were just a part of my past. In middle school, I would just listen to random songs whenever I felt like listening to music. Oftentimes I wouldn't know what to play because I got sick of the same boring pop music, so I decided to play ATYCLB on Spotify. I wanted to take a trip down memory lane. As I listened, I recognized every song from my childhood, and it was really nostalgiac. I started to poke around their other albums and play some of the songs whose names I recognized. Zooropa had peaked my interest, (I liked DGPfYCC more than I remembered) as well as a few songs from the TJT era and on. At the time, I only cherry-picked the albums. Before long, I became obsessed with Pop (my favorite album, period), one song at a time. For awhile, I didn't listen to their early 80s stuff or SOI, as I didn't think it was as good. Eventually though, I had listened to all of their albums in full, was playing their full catalog on shuffle (because I was starting to like ALL of the songs on each album, not just some), then I reached the point where was listening to B-sides.

Fast-forward to now and I can name every song on each album. At one point, I took a month-long break from them (I played them on occasion during this period, but not often. This was before I was playing B-sides and such). I wasn't sure if it had just been a phase. But then I started listening to them again and never stopped, only becoming an even bigger fan over time.

My older brother is also a big U2 fan, and my younger brother also likes them, We are all excited to be seeing them on June 18 in Philadelphia! It will be my parents fourth U2 concert, and the first for my brothers and I. I am incredibly excited. It will surely be one of the best days of my life. I have a had a rough last couple of years, but I graduate from high school this June, so this concert couldn't be coming at a better time! It will start off my summer on an amazingly high note, that's for sure! 😁

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 09:37:42 PM »
First fell in love with the band in 89 and then undertook a two year journey through their back catalogue. The Joshua Tree was every bit as great as I had read about but The Unforgettable Fire blew my mind. How Could Pride not even be in the top five best songs on that Album! Boy was another high point. My first purchase of a brand new release was Achtung Baby.  I'm not articulate enough to do justice of what the following two year period meant to me so I'll say no more on that, other than I was lucky enough to have Zooropa in Roundhay park as my first U2 show, and it is still to be bettered. 

Offline wambui24

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 01:18:40 PM »
AB was my first album and will always be my favorite; I was 13 when I got it on cassette, and for the next several months straight, my walkman headphones were permanently attached to my head.  I remember lying down in the backseat of my parents' car at night while they were driving around, listening to that album and being transported to another world.  I also wore out my VHS copy of Rattle and Hum - Heartland and Larry at Graceland... whew!  I still get misty eyed thinking about it. 

I am 39 now, so I guess that puts my fandom at about 26 years.  After that, I went back and got everything pre-AB and kept going from there.  My first concert was PopMart in New Orleans, my sophomore year of college.  I wanted so badly to go to ZooTV, but at 14, the parents weren't letting that happen.  I've seen shows in most tours since then.  I saw both opening shows in Vancouver for IE, and I'll be seeing them open again in Vancouver this Friday.  I was watching the Paris recording of IE last night with my 8 year old daughter, and she was digging it - proud mama moment!  Of course she recognizes a lot of the songs from Rockabye Baby - Lullaby Renditions of U2, which I've played for her since she was a newborn. 

3 more days!! 

Offline Nagrom76

• Refugee
  • Bacon
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 06:44:22 PM »
ZOO TV 1991, Maple Leaf Gardens. The Pixies opened. I was 16 and it was LOUD. I still remember Bono slinking out to Zoo Station.

Offline anthonyintijuana72

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 04:35:33 PM »
dec 1987 is when I discovered them.
first show was 10/30/1992 at dodger stadium in los angeles
favorite album...Achtung Baby

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 06:35:15 PM »
I'm 23 and in the younger category of U2 fans and having always heard their biggest tracks on the radio and always knew they were great. Even if you didn't class yourself a fan, you always knew some of their songs. I've always been into rock and dance music. And it was after watching their glastonbury performance that something about them struck a chord. They're a ferocious live band and Bono is an incredible singer. I gradually became more addicted, that was solidified after listening to their discography multiple times.

First live shows for me will be both London shows, not a bad tour to see them for the first time on.

Favourite album is Achtung Baby, followed closely by All You Can't Leave Behind

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 06:39:03 PM »
1982. Still have the cassette I bought at Sound Warehouse in El Paso Texas. First concert 1987 Pontiac Silverdome, Michigan

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 07:07:23 PM »
I've loved them since '83, when I heard my college roommate playing "October".  My first cassette was the "Live At Red Rocks" compilation.  Great memories~!

Offline KenKaniff

• Babyface
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 09:17:34 PM »
I've been a big fan since ATYCLB. (I'm 31 now). I casually liked the hits when I heard them here and there. I grew up a big hip-hop fan (and still am).

ATYCLB was released when I was 14. I remember going to Vermont on a ski trip and staying the weekend at family friends' house. We were sitting at the dinner table and the Dad of the other family was enthusiastically mentioning how amazing the album was. He said he bought something like 7 copies of the album and was giving them out as gifts for whatever gift-giving occasions popped up. It was quite the endorsement and I could sense the real excitement. I remember back at this time there wasn't the strong musical recommendations and the "you gotta hear this" as I experience these days. I knew I casually liked the hits, and when this glowing recommendation came, I knew I had to listen for myself. I was instantly impressed with the whole album.

Favorite album in all of music is TJT. My favorite song of all time is "Streets". I always tell people the intro to streets, to me, is the sound of what being alive feels like.

First concert was Phoenix 2 on I+E tour.
Hopefully next show is Philadelphia for TJT30 if I can get a ticket :)

Offline BONO31

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 01:48:47 AM »
I have loved U2 since 1991 when "Achtung Baby" came out. But I became a real fan in 1995 with the single "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" and "The Passengers" album. First concert was in 1997 during the Popmart Tour.