Author Topic: How long have you loved U2? First concert and where? favorite album  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
Re: How long have you loved U2? First concert and where? favorite album
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 06:05:03 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Since roughly December 2005. My story is probably different than most in that I initially HATED U2 with a passion. I blame it on an overexposure of the greatest hits albums (courtesy of my dad and brother), being a moody teenager with a terrible taste in music, and buying into the negative hype about Bono. I thought they were an annoying old person band.

Then I got interested in music beyond a merely casual level. My tastes shifted and I took up the guitar. I wanted to be cultured, to listen to the proclaimed "great" albums and artists. "The Joshua Tree" kept getting mentioned on just about every list I researched online. Eventually, I gave in and got a copy of the album. The first track played, then the second, then the third. Decent enough songs, but I already knew them from the greatest hits and these songs were a little boring (at the time) to me since I loved rock music.

And then "Bullet The Blue Sky" kicked in and it was all over for me. I was pleasantly shocked that U2 could actually write a passionate hard rocking song! TJT stayed in my CD player for weeks after that and I eventually "borrowed" those greatest hits albums from my dad. From there I picked up "Achtung Baby". If TJT was the album that made me a fan of U2, AB was the album that made them one of my favorite bands. AB eventually took over TJT as my favorite U2 album.

My first U2 concert was Chicago night 2 on the 360 Tour in 2009. In a bit of a full circle thing, I was actually the one who dragged my dad to that concert (or, more accurately, convinced him to take the 5 hour trek with me since they didn't have any Michigan dates on the tour at that point). Great show, but the second show I went to in 2011 (at Spartan Stadium) was even better.
Hey Tiger! I was at both of those shows as well!

Offline rcb

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2017, 12:45:58 PM »
Since my freshman year in college (1994).  I had been somewhat familiar with them before but just the big TJT hits (Still Haven't Found, With or Without You) wasn't really a fan. I got more into music generally that year and had some roommates who were fans who introduced me to U2 more fully.  I particularly loved the TJT/R&H era initially (and TJT is still my #1 album), but I eventually grew to love the 90's stuff as well (AB is my #2 album now).  Now, I really like all of their catalog from Boy to SOI and still listen to it all.

My first concert was PopMart in Salt Lake City (1997).  It was one of the early shows, of the tour that they famously weren't ready for, and I was in the end zone opposite the stage but I still loved it.  The only tour I've missed since then was Elevation, and I still regret not traveling across the country to see that one with my siblings.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Wanderer
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 01:06:06 PM »
1987; though I knew of them through family members and videos on MTV, I became smitten with the release of the Joshua Tree.

First tour: PopMart at the LA Coliseum.  The stars never aligned for me to see the previous tours that came through LA.  I haven't missed any since then, but it still aches to know I missed those legendary shows.

Favorite album: Achtung Baby forever and ever amen. 

Offline YouGoOn

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 03:36:52 PM »
I knew some U2 songs when I was younger and I might have owned The Joshua Tree in my later teens but I can't be sure. I wasn't allowed to listen to secular music growing up and so I gravitated to heavier, darker music to make me feel like a badass when I showed my school friends my secret stash of CDs...

Anyway, I guess I was around 19 or 20 when they released the Chicago DVD...I knew a good bit of the songs so I picked it up. Watching City Of Blinding Lights sold me. It was like a religious experience even as I watched it through the television. That was it. I was sold.

First concert: June 18, 2017! I have dreamed about seeing U2 live and what it would be like to hear COBL. Unfortunately, and understandably...it isn't being played on this tour. Still, I'm stoked!

Favorite album: Achtung Baby or POP. I think AB is one of the best album ever made but POP has a special place in my heart as well.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 03:43:07 PM by YouGoOn »

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 05:51:40 PM »
This thread is making me very nostalgic.  :'(

In about 1997 I heard Discoteque on the radio. Found out it was U2. I already liked some of their songs and thought to myself, "Self, if U2 can make all of these very different songs and you love them all, then this is YOUR band!" And that was it. They were my band. I was about 15 at the time.

First concert Elevation Austin, Tx 2001. Favorite album Unforgettable Fire.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 07:47:15 PM »
AB was my first album and will always be my favorite; I was 13 when I got it on cassette, and for the next several months straight, my walkman headphones were permanently attached to my head.  I remember lying down in the backseat of my parents' car at night while they were driving around, listening to that album and being transported to another world.  I also wore out my VHS copy of Rattle and Hum - Heartland and Larry at Graceland... whew!  I still get misty eyed thinking about it. 

I am 39 now, so I guess that puts my fandom at about 26 years.  After that, I went back and got everything pre-AB and kept going from there.  My first concert was PopMart in New Orleans, my sophomore year of college.  I wanted so badly to go to ZooTV, but at 14, the parents weren't letting that happen.

I have been a fan of U2 in varying degrees of admiration for almost exactly 25 years (OMG!!!!) I became a fan pretty much the same way Wambui did - I got Achtung Baby on tape Christmas '92, and this was a result of checking out their videos on MTV for much of that summer, liking what I saw (was a bit late for Zoo TV in my city).  I did catch the VMAs that year, and it was literally the day before my 14th birthday, and seeing Bono in full Fly regalia do EBTTRT live pretty much sealed the deal (yes, the one where Garth from Wayne's world did the drumming).  On a funny note, I was all up in front of the TV (not a good idea) watching this transfixed, hormones on full blast, and my mom was RIGHT THERE in the same room sitting behind me, so she didn't actually see me drooling LOL!

By the time Zooropa came out, I was following this band hard, so I got to the record store the Friday of that week (that was a HOT day!).  I think I played that tape all day and night that day.  Even after all the abuse, I still have that very tape believe it or not!  A month later I listened to that memorable RDS concert (loved every minute of that) and I even saw the ZOO TV Sydney concert when it was originally on PPV (yes, it was on pay per view and yes I have the tape of that and yes the quality sucks XD), so that sort of made up for not getting to be there in person, haha!

My first U2 concert was Popmart at Franklin Field (almost exactly 20 years ago!), which is a football stadium on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania.  I was in the Propaganda fan club, so I got a ticket near the front - problem was, as it seems to be the case of modern U2 shows, the best seats were near the back (that screen~!) 

BTW - Favorite album? Just about everything U2 put out in the 90s (they were that damn good!)  ;D
But honestly because it really became the soundtrack of my life, it's Achtung Baby no question.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:51:05 PM by Kurukira »

Offline PookaMacP

• Refugee
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2017, 07:21:18 AM »
fan since 1997 when my dad bought Pop, i was 16. First concert was April 2001 Dallas Elevation. Fav album is AB.

My story is very similar to this:
Bought Pop in 1997 while in my mid-teens;
My first gig was on the Elevation tour (the first Slane date, Aug 2001);
And my favourite album is Achtung Baby.

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2017, 08:32:55 AM »
I was a U2 'fan' in the peripheral sense for about 3 years, but finally got on board in 1998 when I was 12. So that's about 19 years now. My first concert was Vertigo in Sydney 2006. Favourite album is probably AB.

Offline Bailey8891

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2017, 10:14:33 AM »
When I was 11 or 12 (around 2000) I first became aware of them through Beautiful Day. Used to listen to disposable chart crap like most kids that age, U2 were the first "proper" band I listened to along with Oasis and they quickly became my favourite of all time. First albums would have been ALYCLB, TJT, Best of 1980-1990 I guess.

First concert was Cardiff 2005 for the Vertigo tour, was also my first proper concert by any band so not a bad first gig to have gone to!

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2017, 11:38:05 AM »
First heard of U2 in early 1983 when NYD was played in the charts & video on TV.  Really didn't like them at first as was into pop music (was 9).  Used to have chart compilation cassettes (NOW! That's What I Call Music) and f-fwd through U2 tracks (TUF being the main one as my 12 year old mind thought it was a dirge!).

Had a religious/Christian experience aged 14 (about the same age that Bono was when he had one) but had been brought up in church so that wasn't a complete bolt from the blue.  What was a 'Damascus' experience was my sudden change in musical tastes.  As a teenage Christian, I thought what music should I be into and having heard that U2 were Christians and were absolutely huge after the success of TJT the previous year, I thought they would be a much more cool option than Cliff Richard!  Strangely by the time I was 14/15 I actually appreciated their music so much more so in 1988, just as R&H was released, I became a fan and bought the album.  I even bought a waistcoat and wore it with a shirt and jeans.

My first concert was Manchester Arena in 2001 on the Elevation Tour.  I had been to quite a lot of concerts by that time and had grown to appreciate a good live performance.  I haven't looked back since and this time I am looking at my 5th show at Twickenham.  Over 25 years, I have heard a lot of really good live performances - Billy Bragg singing 'Jerusalem' (the hymn, not a U2 cover!) in front of 20,000 people in an English field is the only thing that has come close to the soul-stirring experience of a U2 show.

Favourite album changes - there is not one that I dislike.  Still really into SOI but obviously just re-discovered TJT.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2017, 12:20:57 PM »

Had a religious/Christian experience aged 14 (about the same age that Bono was when he had one) but had been brought up in church so that wasn't a complete bolt from the blue.

I was introduced to U2 by my dad, but I also went to Catholic schools and Catholic summer camp in the late 80s - TJT and TUF were like the "approved CDs and cassettes" that everyone had.

Offline wambui24

• Babyface
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2017, 04:43:12 PM »
AB was my first album and will always be my favorite; I was 13 when I got it on cassette, and for the next several months straight, my walkman headphones were permanently attached to my head.  I remember lying down in the backseat of my parents' car at night while they were driving around, listening to that album and being transported to another world.  I also wore out my VHS copy of Rattle and Hum - Heartland and Larry at Graceland... whew!  I still get misty eyed thinking about it. 

I am 39 now, so I guess that puts my fandom at about 26 years.  After that, I went back and got everything pre-AB and kept going from there.  My first concert was PopMart in New Orleans, my sophomore year of college.  I wanted so badly to go to ZooTV, but at 14, the parents weren't letting that happen.

I have been a fan of U2 in varying degrees of admiration for almost exactly 25 years (OMG!!!!) I became a fan pretty much the same way Wambui did - I got Achtung Baby on tape Christmas '92, and this was a result of checking out their videos on MTV for much of that summer, liking what I saw (was a bit late for Zoo TV in my city).  I did catch the VMAs that year, and it was literally the day before my 14th birthday, and seeing Bono in full Fly regalia do EBTTRT live pretty much sealed the deal (yes, the one where Garth from Wayne's world did the drumming).  On a funny note, I was all up in front of the TV (not a good idea) watching this transfixed, hormones on full blast, and my mom was RIGHT THERE in the same room sitting behind me, so she didn't actually see me drooling LOL!

By the time Zooropa came out, I was following this band hard, so I got to the record store the Friday of that week (that was a HOT day!).  I think I played that tape all day and night that day.  Even after all the abuse, I still have that very tape believe it or not!  A month later I listened to that memorable RDS concert (loved every minute of that) and I even saw the ZOO TV Sydney concert when it was originally on PPV (yes, it was on pay per view and yes I have the tape of that and yes the quality sucks XD), so that sort of made up for not getting to be there in person, haha!

My first U2 concert was Popmart at Franklin Field (almost exactly 20 years ago!), which is a football stadium on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania.  I was in the Propaganda fan club, so I got a ticket near the front - problem was, as it seems to be the case of modern U2 shows, the best seats were near the back (that screen~!) 

BTW - Favorite album? Just about everything U2 put out in the 90s (they were that damn good!)  ;D
But honestly because it really became the soundtrack of my life, it's Achtung Baby no question.

Right on Kurukira!! 

Offline lightmyway92

• Babyface
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2017, 11:29:07 AM »
I became a U2 fan back in the fall of '83 after seeing the videos for "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "New Year's Day" on MTV.  There was nobody back then with that much passion, spirituality and pure emotion.  Since then I've had the privilege of watching their career unfold in real time. 

First time seeing U2 live:  Vertigo Tour, 2005 in Milwaukee.  Somehow that was my first (and so far only) U2 show.

Favorite album: Achtung Baby, followed closely by The Joshua TreeThe Unforgettable Fire and All That You Can't Leave Behind hold very special places in my heart as well.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:30:13 PM by lightmyway92 »