Author Topic: The little things that give you away  (Read 14425 times)

Offline pdk

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: The little things that give you away
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2017, 06:53:02 AM »
It's simply...okay.  Judging by last night's performance.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2017, 06:59:56 AM »
Just seen it....here are my initial thoughts.... i'd like to think that they have a bit more fire in their bellies and creative devil still than this sort of pretty cliched stuff....it's pleasant enough as a tune but in all honesty would people here be raving about it if the likes of coldplay, snow patrol, travis, keane, embrace etc etc etc were turning this out as a new song......i used those bands as the song strikes me as the sort of stuff any of them could churn out and indeed have done.

The version that may arrive on any album is highly likely of course to be highly polished up as well as we all know how u2 have a habit of doing that.

It isn't the sort of song i personally dislike hugely - but it certainly isn't the sort of stuff that gets my pulse racing either - feels a bit bland, cliched and a bit safe for me. It isn't horrible by any means but i just feel like it isn't the sort of song that is gonna make a big statement and is u2 in their comfort zone.

That said a couple of listens to a song being played live recorded on a phone and said song being played live for the first time isn't really for me an ideal base from which to be forming opinions that are too strong either way.

As for clues about SoE? Well again i'd say holding back from forming too strong an opinion is wise...

SFS and SLABT for example spring to mind....Imagine hearing either as first possible taste of a new album.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 07:04:24 AM by an tha »

Offline pdk

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2017, 07:02:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just seen it....here are my initial thoughts.... i'd like to think that they have a bit more fire in their bellies and creative devil still than this sort of pretty cliched stuff....it's pleasant enough as a tune but in all honesty would people here be raving about it if the likes of coldplay, snow patrol, travis, keane, embrace etc etc etc were turning this out as a new song......i used those bands as the song strikes me as the sort of stuff any of them could churn out and indeed have done.

The version that may arrive on any album is highly likely of course to be highly polished up as well as we all know how u2 have a habit of doing that.

It isn't the sort of song i personally dislike hugely - but it certainly isn't the sort of stuff that gets my pulse racing either - feels a bit bland, cliched and a bit safe for me.

That said a couple of listens to a song being played live recorded on a phone and said song being played live for the first time isn't really for me an ideal base from which to be forming opinions that are too strong either way.

As for clues about SoE? Well again i'd say holding back from forming too strong an opinion is wise...

SFS and SLABT for example spring to mind....Imagine hearing either as first possible taste of a new album.

Dude... It's so auto-pilot.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2017, 07:05:46 AM »
I don't think they should play un released material it doesn't work I even like the song but it's hard to relate to given we haven't heard the studio version, same goes for mercy, North Star and all the others played on 360.

Give me a song from SOI over SOE. Or wait till you release the album and then play them live. It doesn't work for me this way round.

Or just play some vintage stuff. This is the tour to do so. More than any other.

Looked a great show though.

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • You can see me in person on July 1st in Cleveland
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2017, 07:36:17 AM »
I dig it

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2017, 07:37:03 AM »
As far as the new song goes. Im left feeling a bit underwhelemd (upon first few listens)
Really has the sound of an unfinished studio Jam to it. Its a real plodder. I thought it was going to take off when Edge switched to guitar....but nah....all we got was some stereotypical heavily delayed noodling guitar.
Perhaps it will grow on me, perhaps not....but there are a million and one other u2 tunes i have felt more pleased by upon first hearing

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2017, 07:38:38 AM »

In all honesty, I think many fans and casuals will love this song when it's released. In fact, even if a little outdated, this song may be the closest thing they've done recently to a hit (don't know about Top 40).

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2017, 07:59:39 AM »
Mmmm its OK. I reserve judgement until I hear the studio version. One comment made me laugh out loud on youtube... "Needs More Noel Gallagher!"

Offline Argo

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Am Here
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2017, 08:26:41 AM »
Interesting to hear views on how people compare Little Things to Mercy and even Every Breaking Wave and North Star from the 360 Tour. I'd probably go with Mercy slightly. But not a lot in it and not enough going for any of these songs.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2017, 08:31:25 AM »
Interesting to hear views on how people compare Little Things to Mercy and even Every Breaking Wave and North Star from the 360 Tour. I'd probably go with Mercy slightly. But not a lot in it and not enough going for any of these songs.

I wasn't comparing the songs, I was comparing U2 road testing them as per M, EBW and NS on 360.

Offline aviastar

• Refugee
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2017, 08:38:47 AM »
I feel like there is a message in this song...they are closing the show with it...."sometimes the end is near" I think the line is.  Are they trying to tell us something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2017, 09:21:34 AM »
I feel like there is a message in this song...they are closing the show with it...."sometimes the end is near" I think the line is.  Are they trying to tell us something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't even go there....

Sounds ok, but need to listen to a studio version with headphones.

Offline Kmama07

• Party Girl/Boy
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2017, 09:24:38 AM »

It isn't the sort of song i personally dislike hugely - but it certainly isn't the sort of stuff that gets my pulse racing either - feels a bit bland, cliched and a bit safe for me. It isn't horrible by any means but i just feel like it isn't the sort of song that is gonna make a big statement and is u2 in their comfort zone.

I posted somewhere(I think Vancouver thread) last night so sorry for sounding like broken record. BUT...if you listen to the piano it totally sounds like the "near,far,wherever you are" part from the Titanic theme song. I can't UNhear it. It actually made me chuckle.

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2017, 09:59:44 AM »
Listening agin, the transition from "little things" to "sometimes" reminds me of the best thing, when bono goes "why am I walking away" and then he starts singing again. It just seems to abrupt and not a smooth transition. And the song feels like two in one which I'm not sure if I like or dislike. That reminds me of XXX how the song totally shifts. It's not bad at all, but up their with the best? I don't think so.

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2017, 10:01:17 AM »
Mercy might be stronger, but this is better just because it's new and I've been listening to mercy for the past 9 years