Author Topic: The little things that give you away  (Read 35150 times)

Offline dan

• Stateless
Re: The little things that give you away
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2017, 10:11:32 AM »
If it doesn't sound like 'Pop' its not going to get a good review on here by some people.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2017, 10:16:54 AM »
It sounds like it would be on the list of 2000s songs that while they didn't do much to break any new ground really or experiment much, overall it sounded really good. I liked the build up to the climax at the ends, and I actually like the vagueness of the lyrics for the entire ending climax of the song. I dig it.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2017, 10:19:02 AM »
Honestly, I think the song has a lot of potential. I wasn't sold on it at first but as the song built up, I liked it quite a bit more. Still way too early to judge it, though.

As far as it being a show closer? I don't like it in that spot. It feels very anti-climatic as a show closer so I'm hoping they decide to tack another song on at the end, like maybe "40".

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Listening agin, the transition from "little things" to "sometimes" reminds me of the best thing, when bono goes "why am I walking away" and then he starts singing again. It just seems to abrupt and not a smooth transition. And the song feels like two in one which I'm not sure if I like or dislike. That reminds me of XXX how the song totally shifts. It's not bad at all, but up their with the best? I don't think so.

There's a shift, but it's nothing near that abrupt.

Offline Rising Sun

• Refugee
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2017, 10:34:32 AM »
As far as the new song goes. Im left feeling a bit underwhelemd (upon first few listens)
Really has the sound of an unfinished studio Jam to it. Its a real plodder. I thought it was going to take off when Edge switched to guitar....but nah....all we got was some stereotypical heavily delayed noodling guitar.
Perhaps it will grow on me, perhaps not....but there are a million and one other u2 tunes i have felt more pleased by upon first hearing

I had the same thoughts: studio jam, plodding, noodling.  Maybe the studio version will sound better.

It's not a great show closer, I bet they move it elsewhere in the set or drop it.  Or maybe they'll play all the new songs over the course of the tour at the end of shows.  That would be cool and a great way to promote the new album.

Offline magmazing

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2017, 10:54:22 AM »
My video of the performance: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2017, 10:56:42 AM »
My first view, I was a little, meh. But after watching it a few times now, it's seriously growing on me.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2017, 11:00:09 AM »
To me, this song sounded very boring and "by the numbers"... the song is largely unoffensive and "safe". It never really goes anywhere after that initial build-up, it just kind of hangs there in this weird U2 limbo.

I do expect that the album version will have a different arrangement, because Edge's piano bit sounds way too pedestrian and boring. I'm tired of this typicality of Edge nowadays... for each of the last four albums he has been largely unspectacular. There's no more wow factor with his performances. Which brings up a good question-- has Edge "lost it"? Is he holding himself back, or is the band restraining him?

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »
If it doesn't sound like 'Pop' its not going to get a good review on here by some people.

It's a decent song. But by U2s high standards, it's just another generic emotional ballad.

How many of them do we really need? I agree with an tha - this is something I expect from Coldplay, Travis, Embrace. Granted I like those bands rather than love them but there's a reason why U2 are great.

Despite being a merely pleasant song, this is not it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:07:46 AM by MattD »

Offline CLarryG

• Babyface
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2017, 11:15:18 AM »
For the love of god, PLEASE stop these sleepy, piano ballads, before U2 turns into a lounge act. Sounds like EBW which sent me to the men's room and I got another beer.  I hope this is not indicative of what SOE is. So not interesting. Zzzzzz.....!

Offline zoo world order

• Babyface
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2017, 11:16:25 AM »
After hearing it live I think it's fantastic and beautiful. I'm just glad u2 are still making music and appreciate every bit of it. They won't be doing this forever.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2017, 11:17:37 AM »
Better than most of SOI

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2017, 11:17:44 AM »

What are your thoughts on the song?

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2017, 11:35:52 AM »
The more I listen, the more I like it. The ending of show when they gathered together was really moving and with Bono singing about "the end" I couldn't help but think are they hinting that their time is nearly up as a band? I know i'm not alone in thinking this but I sure hope that's not the case, it'll be interesting to see how this one develops over time on this tour and when it might potentially be released

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Sitting at Larry's drum kit inside Sun Studio
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »
to say this song doesn't go anywhere...watch this vid:

Love the guys all getting together and jamming!