Author Topic: U2 to release new song this week  (Read 5905 times)

Offline Stateless

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: U2 to release new song this week
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2017, 06:38:16 PM »
It would be smart to actually release the song a few days before this Friday.  I always thought hearing the song a few times before a concert makes you appreciate the live performance more since you have an idea about the song.  Regardless, looking forward to it live or an official release.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 07:54:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well the primary source is obviously the atu2 forums. No one said anything about a studio track.

It does seem a little early to release the studio version of the song if they're waiting to release the album until the fall. I guess by playing it live they build buzz for it when it does come out which in turn builds buzz for the new album.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 05:48:28 AM »
Invisible. Ordinary Love.

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 07:56:15 AM »

They did release those songs prior to 'Songs of Innocence'. Although OL was attached to a film.

They could release a stand alone song to get feedback from fans. Then decide to either leave the next album or tinker with it. Dependent on the reaction.

Offline JFW

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2017, 08:58:14 AM »

They did release those songs prior to 'Songs of Innocence'. Although OL was attached to a film.

They could release a stand alone song to get feedback from fans. Then decide to either leave the next album or tinker with it. Dependent on the reaction.
I'm not so sure about that. I believe those songs were meant to be a stand alone. Ordinary Love for the movie, Invisible for (RED). I don't think those songs would fit on the album, maybe Invisible. Although Invisible made the cut, like Lucifers Hands and Crystal Ballroom, in the deluxe edition.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2017, 10:34:41 AM »
I'm not really sure what to make of all of this.  Nothing wrong with having a new song, but between this and the email re: Ordinary Love, it seems like The Joshua Tree isn't really where their minds are at.  I just hope it doesn't mean the performance of TJT is rendered perfunctory because they're simply not interested in it.  There's nothing wrong with focusing on the album for the length of the tour.

Truth be told, had they not already done it, this would be the perfect opportunity for a newly-remixed version of The Sweetest Thing to go along with the tour.  Would have fit the bill as something "new" which is still in keeping with the nostalgic aspect of the tour.  Put it in the setlist as a bonus, it's a sweet love song that was obviously successful in its own right, etc.  Too bad it's already been done.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2017, 10:44:18 AM »
I'm not really sure what to make of all of this.  Nothing wrong with having a new song, but between this and the email re: Ordinary Love, it seems like The Joshua Tree isn't really where their minds are at.  I just hope it doesn't mean the performance of TJT is rendered perfunctory because they're simply not interested in it.  There's nothing wrong with focusing on the album for the length of the tour.

Truth be told, had they not already done it, this would be the perfect opportunity for a newly-remixed version of The Sweetest Thing to go along with the tour.  Would have fit the bill as something "new" which is still in keeping with the nostalgic aspect of the tour.  Put it in the setlist as a bonus, it's a sweet love song that was obviously successful in its own right, etc.  Too bad it's already been done.

They should re-record Luminous Times. It's in a range Bono can sing, and it's one of the best B-sides from TJT.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2017, 10:50:38 AM »

They aren't exactly trying to balance running a country alongside working 60 hrs a week in a factory alongside designing and self building a new housing development for 50 homes at the weekend here....

They are playing some rock n roll songs - some of those songs are old, some might be new - i would imagine they can focus on playing both old and new pretty well enough together and spend some time thinking about/working on new songs without compromising either...if they can't then it might be time to hang it up.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2017, 12:03:28 PM »

They should re-record Luminous Times. It's in a range Bono can sing, and it's one of the best B-sides from TJT.
Now we're talking, it's actually a great idea in my opinon since the original, brilliant as it is, sounds dated.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2017, 12:05:29 PM »

Now we're talking, it's actually a great idea in my opinon since the original, brilliant as it is, sounds dated.

Hm, really?  I don't hear anything dated, myself.  I'm always wary of the idea of re-recording stuff, but I agree, this song deserves more attention.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2017, 12:06:58 PM »

I'm not so sure about that. I believe those songs were meant to be a stand alone. Ordinary Love for the movie, Invisible for (RED). I don't think those songs would fit on the album, maybe Invisible. Although Invisible made the cut, like Lucifers Hands and Crystal Ballroom, in the deluxe edition.

OL and Invisible weren't on the album. From what we've heard, The Little Things is supposed to be on SoE. So my point still stands: it doesn't make sense to release Little Things as a single many months before the album comes out.

Offline Spacejunk69

• Numb
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2017, 02:55:36 PM »
It wont be a single release. Poor journalism. Yes, U2 will premier a new song at the show on Friday, and play it and refine it on the tour. That's it.

It will get its first official release on SOE, oh around 2032 or something.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2017, 09:12:33 PM »
It wont be a single release. Poor journalism. Yes, U2 will premier a new song at the show on Friday, and play it and refine it on the tour. That's it.

;D I still say it's coming out by the end of this year. Feel free to call me out on that on January 1, 2018 if it hasn't come out yet.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2017, 09:26:33 PM »
Hearing the little things during the Vancouver rehearsals, i'm excited to hear it recorded. Sadly, in recent years, slower songs that they've done well in the studio don't tend to translate live - EBW, MOS, Troubles, COL, i think the little things that give you away (TLTTGYA - crap, another awful acronym) might be in the same vein.

Offline JFW

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2017, 11:16:42 PM »

;D I still say it's coming out by the end of this year. Feel free to call me out on that on January 1, 2018 if it hasn't come out yet.
I have the same feeling.

But...

I had the same feeling about april/march 2017 until the announcements early January.