Author Topic: Sunday Bloody Sunday to open.....really?  (Read 905 times)

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
Re: Sunday Bloody Sunday to open.....really?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2017, 10:07:33 AM »
I was there. It works. When Larry walks out and starts banging that beat the whole crowd went nuts.

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 10:47:19 AM »
I just watched one of the youtube vids...it looks like it worked pretty well...I was surprised!

Offline Nagrom76

• Refugee
  • Bacon
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 11:18:53 AM »
Not the point, sure -- maybe it works but...they just became the nostalgia act that Bono in 92 said they would never become.

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 11:29:44 AM »
It's interesting how people are stuck in words said decades ago.

By the way, this whole subject is controversial. The meaning of being a "nostalgia act" is too generic.

Offline U2_One

• Refugee
  • You Miss Too Much These Days If You Stop To Think
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 12:26:04 PM »
Sounds like it worked just fine. Maybe not the first song I think of when contemplating an opener, but makes sense with what they played, I'd say. 

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 12:34:15 PM »
Initially I wasn't feeling or believing the rumours as I couldn't see it as an opener, but how they performed the opening portion of the show leading up to TJT, I take it all back, it absolutely works and starts things off with energy. Nice little easter egg from 360 with Larry having his moment on the drums at the very start, nice!

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2017, 01:56:08 PM »
I could see it working with Glora too, just Larry playing the drum beat initially before the others join.

Offline olimar

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2017, 02:02:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Not the point, sure -- maybe it works but...they just became the nostalgia act that Bono in 92 said they would never become.

Didnt that ship sail some months ago when they announced a tour where they play a 30 year old album in its entirety?!

Offline Fastcars12

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2017, 06:25:15 PM »
Streets (exactly the way they did it) would've be perfect to open with. I wasn't there but I'm sure SBS is worked too. That streets intro is epic though.

Sent from my P00A using Tapatalk

Offline 73October

• Stateless
  • A hurricane being born
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 07:03:38 PM »
To me the setlist from first night looked very chronological:
First 5 songs - 1983-TJT and SBS sets the scene and links through from the Innocence leg of the I&E tour (The Troubles in Ireland).  First 2 songs from War and then others from UF.
TJT segment
Encore - 1991-2001 years (not in chronological order) plus new song taster.  This is pointing toward SOE.  Is SOE reflecting the band's time during TJT or is the album looking at the 90's and 2000's U2?

Let see what tomorrow night brings in Seattle.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 07:46:14 PM »
Just watched the video. Wouldn't have been my choice, but SBS seemed to work.

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 12:33:01 AM »
I was there. It works. When Larry walks out and starts banging that beat the whole crowd went nuts.

This. I was there also.

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 03:46:39 AM »
SBS was released 4 years before TJT.

If the band just wanted to do a greatest hits tour, which would have involved half of TJT anyway, they should just say.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2017, 04:40:55 AM »
It looks like a good opener on youtube.  I've never much liked the song but I can see why they've chosen it.  It encapsulates what they're trying to do with the tour: a call for tolerance and acceptance of difference at a time when there is so much conflict in the world.  They've put aside their songs about personal angst and focused on the ones that have a message of peace and inclusion.  The 1980s pre-TJT set especially presents this vision.  There are a few 00 songs that come after the album is played that are harder to link in (Beautiful Day and Elevation) but overall there is a coherence to the setlist. 

Offline 73October

• Stateless
  • A hurricane being born
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2017, 01:45:13 PM »
It looks like a good opener on youtube.  I've never much liked the song but I can see why they've chosen it.  It encapsulates what they're trying to do with the tour: a call for tolerance and acceptance of difference at a time when there is so much conflict in the world.  They've put aside their songs about personal angst and focused on the ones that have a message of peace and inclusion.  The 1980s pre-TJT set especially presents this vision.  There are a few 00 songs that come after the album is played that are harder to link in (Beautiful Day and Elevation) but overall there is a coherence to the setlist.

Well said il_capo