Author Topic: Sunday Bloody Sunday to open.....really?  (Read 894 times)

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Sunday Bloody Sunday to open.....really?
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 03:10:44 PM »
After seeing it twice. It TOTALLY works. The first 5 songs in Seattle were outstanding. Yes, even Pride which I was tired of. The versions they are playing, coupled with Bono not trying to do things with his voice that he cant possibly do anymore, and the band playing superbly tight - this tour is shaping up well and is very promising.

Online The Exile

• Elevated
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 06:18:50 PM »
What impressed me was that I don't think I'd ever heard a full version of NYD, complete with the "Maybe the time is right" and "So we are told this is the golden age" bits. I could be wrong, but I think they've always truncated the song (like they did at Red Rocks).

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 06:21:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What impressed me was that I don't think I'd ever heard a full version of NYD, complete with the "Maybe the time is right" and "So we are told this is the golden age" bits. I could be wrong, but I think they've always truncated the song (like they did at Red Rocks).

That's true. Makes you wonder if they'll ever give the same treatment to Streets.

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 03:10:32 PM »
Love the new piano/keyboard sound on NYD...sounds darker and more modern, a bit like the Popmart version.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 03:16:16 PM »

It is rare that Bono sang the "maybe the time is right" line but he did at a few shows on TUF tour at least - I think I recall at least one London show.  Not sure I've heard him sing the final lines of the song live before though.

Offline indiansummer

• Numb
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 03:32:42 PM »
Very confused by doubts about this song being a good opener.  It's one of U2's greatest anthems and prior to the Joshua Tree was there defining song that everyone knew them by. So pretty logical really.

Online The Exile

• Elevated
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2017, 05:03:24 PM »

That's true. Makes you wonder if they'll ever give the same treatment to Streets.

I'm confused. Is Streets shortened lyrically when played live?

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2017, 05:46:21 PM »

I'm confused. Is Streets shortened lyrically when played live?

In the studio version, Streets has an outro (glued to the second chorus) instead of the bridge they play live.

The outro begins at 4:15: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login