Author Topic: Official Pittsburgh Thread ** Spoilers** 7 June 2017  (Read 2574 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
Re: Official Pittsburgh Thread ** Spoilers** 7 June 2017
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2017, 05:35:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Tiger, I was also waiting for the band to enter but had to go back to the GA line at around 2:30. I saw online that Bono loved the drawing of him from the little girl and he signed it for her and took a picture. I thought that was very sweet.

It was a great show. I was so into it that I didn't even notice the crowd leaving early during Little Things. Without breaking the political rules here, I'm not  completely surprised that people were complaining about the politics. This is a pretty conservative area, mainly in the areas outside of Pittsburgh.

Can't wait for Cleveland!

That's awesome! I was talking to some people who were waiting, so it's entirely possible we may have been right by each other or even talked. I found all the fans there to be super nice and most thought it was cool to see so many younger folks (my niece included) there for the show.

Are you doing GA for Cleveland as well?

I sure am! Not sure what the plan is yet, but it's going to be a blast.

I'm not sure if I talked to you or not. I was wearing a Penn State hat and an I+E shirt.

Not sure either as the day was a bit of a blur (I slept maybe 3.5 hours the night before and then maybe 5 hours the night before that, so I was literally running on adrenaline at the concert and right prior to it). Hopefully we'll cross paths in Cleveland!

----------------------

As promised, some pics from the show.

These fans know what they want and it made me chuckle:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

One thing I noticed in photographing people at the B stage is that, due to my angle and the spotlights, the faces were overexposed. I had to do a lot of editing to make this photo look decent:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bono: "Lift up the Lumineers, lift up The Edge, lift up Adam Clayton":

The iconic tree shot, as photographed from the B stage:

It probably seems like I took a LOT of photos and had my camera out constantly, but that's not actually the case. My concert photography system is like this: take a few quick shots every other song, enjoy the music the rest of the time. I don't like to have my phone or camera out constantly or to block other's views. I also never use flash, out of respect for those around me and for the artist on stage.

I also don't use a pro camera, but rather the Canon SX280hs. It's a super compact camera with a great lens, perfect for concerts.

Adam was ridiculously easy to take pictures of because he doesn't move around a ton while playing--so I got lots of good shots of him. Bono is much harder to photograph since he does constantly move around. The Edge, for whatever reason, was HARD to get good shots of. Larry is, of course, not particularly easy to shoot due to the movement of the sticks but I got a few good shots.

My one complaint about this concert is that I saw several people right around me who CONSTANTLY had their phones out. It did not bother me, but I felt bad for others whose view was obstructed (particularly those vertically challenged). I don't think it's necessary to record every single song, especially not when you're in the front row and should be enjoying the music happening right in front of you. I would like to see less recording from the floor, just out of respect for people around you.

Overall, still a great night and I'm really really excited for the next show. Shadow Man has become my favorite part of the live show, a real treat to experience live.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 05:37:31 PM by tigerfan41 »

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Numb
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2017, 06:29:33 PM »
Really great photos.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2017, 03:18:20 PM »

Thanks! Will try to get some good ones in Cleveland as well, but will likely be very caught up in the music/dancing around with my nieces. Still should manage a few, though!  ;)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Back to back champions!
Official Pittsburgh Thread ** Spoilers** 7 June 2017
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »
Days after the show, the Pittsburgh Penguins win the Stanley Cup for the second year in a row!

Also, I just happened to be walking by the stadium tonight and I noticed that the GA signs are still up outside the stadium.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:05:04 AM by Starman »

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2017, 12:27:03 AM »
Days after the show, the Pittsburgh Penguins win the Stanley Cup for the second year in a row!

Also, I just happened to be walking by the stadium tonight and I noticed that the GA signs are still up outside the stadium.

Congrats to you guys! Admittedly not a hockey fan myself, but super cool that they managed a repeat.

You should've grabbed the signs as a sort of souvenir!

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2017, 05:53:34 AM »

+1  Thanks for taking the trouble of uploading - some lovely shots, seems like you had a great position to watch the show, so it's good for those of us who are not close to the stage to get photos like this to show us better what's going on. 

Also congrats on the October purchase - a steal at the price you paid.  Recommend you listen to side 2 when you're feeling rather bleak about things as it's a great cathartic companion at such times.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2017, 06:11:52 AM »
Congrats to Pittsburgh, I was rooting for Nashville but hey.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2017, 10:35:15 AM »

+1  Thanks for taking the trouble of uploading - some lovely shots, seems like you had a great position to watch the show, so it's good for those of us who are not close to the stage to get photos like this to show us better what's going on. 

Also congrats on the October purchase - a steal at the price you paid.  Recommend you listen to side 2 when you're feeling rather bleak about things as it's a great cathartic companion at such times.

Yeah, it was a terrific spot considering our ticket snafu! And proof that you can be the 500th in line and still get 2nd or 3rd from the rail on the B stage. My niece is now having a tough time deciding what the best concert she's ever been to is, which says a lot because she went on and on about the Guns show and U2's just blew her away.

I agree, $5 is a steal! Pennsylvania's record shops were outstanding compared to ours here, I was able to also get Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" for $7, Tom Petty's "You're Gonna Get It" for $8, and a Beatles compilation for $7, plus we picked up a few other records for my niece. But the prices out there were just insanely cheap considering these are first or second pressings of the albums. I'm definitely looking forward to giving "October" a listen on vinyl.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2017, 10:26:24 AM »

Yeah, it was a terrific spot considering our ticket snafu! And proof that you can be the 500th in line and still get 2nd or 3rd from the rail on the B stage. My niece is now having a tough time deciding what the best concert she's ever been to is, which says a lot because she went on and on about the Guns show and U2's just blew her away.

I agree, $5 is a steal! Pennsylvania's record shops were outstanding compared to ours here, I was able to also get Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" for $7, Tom Petty's "You're Gonna Get It" for $8, and a Beatles compilation for $7, plus we picked up a few other records for my niece. But the prices out there were just insanely cheap considering these are first or second pressings of the albums. I'm definitely looking forward to giving "October" a listen on vinyl.

Just curious, which store did you go to? Was it Eide's? That's one of my favorites.

Offline cocamojoe

• Refugee
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »
Jerry's Records?! Seriously, I once bought Springsteen's Born In The USA and River albums, along with U2's Under A Blood Red Sky there for under $20.

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2017, 12:07:30 PM »

Thanks! Will try to get some good ones in Cleveland as well, but will likely be very caught up in the music/dancing around with my nieces. Still should manage a few, though!  ;)
And thanks for sharing which camera you used! I've been annoyed with my phone and standalone camera at concerts... might give that Canon a try!

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »
I'm thankful that the concert wasn't this week. We went from a high of 60 something last Tuesday to over 90 today.

Jerry's Records?! Seriously, I once bought Springsteen's Born In The USA and River albums, along with U2's Under A Blood Red Sky there for under $20.

Another awesome store. I bought a copy of Thriller there for $5. They had lots of U2 45s there too the last time I was there.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2017, 07:28:19 PM »

Ding ding ding, Joe is correct!  ;) It was Jerry's. His selection of U2 records was picked over (but I saw several people who were at the concert at the shop, so perhaps they bought'em) but everything else was great. No new wave stuff that I've been searching for, but I can't find it anywhere else. I ended up picking up "October" from another record shop in the area, Attic Records.

I totally forgot to look for Springsteen stuff there at Jerry's, but to be honest I'm still getting into his music and have a 7 LP live set to get through first (that was gifted to me by family).

And thanks for sharing which camera you used! I've been annoyed with my phone and standalone camera at concerts... might give that Canon a try!

Definitely recommend it! It's the best small camera I've found that is capable of handling concert and sporting event shots, right alongside regular point and shoot shots. I've had it for 3 years now, still going strong and you could probably get a used one for fairly cheap. Small enough to fit in a pocket, big enough lens to take shots from far away. For these particular photos, I popped them into Adobe Lightroom, did an 8x10 crop, adjusted the clarity to 38, vibrance 8, saturation 9, and in some cases adjusted the whites/blacks settings to compensate for overexposure of the lights.

Offline achtungx

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2017, 06:41:08 AM »
Went to Jerry's once a few years ago. Decided never to go again.

There was a sealed UABRS laserdisc in the bin with the rest of the U2 stuff. I went online to price it, and was more that willing to pay the $20 to $30 that I saw it for.

I politely took it up to Jerry and asked what he wanted for it. I thought he was going to give me a price. I had my cash in my had ready to go. He rudely grabbed the disc away from me, accusingly asked me "Where'd you get this?" like I had stolen it from his holy stash, and grumbled that one of his people put it out there by mistake. He snapped, "It's not for sale!" and wouldn't even entertain an offer. I had a stack of about 10 records that I was ready to buy. I put them down at the stop and walked out.

But I digress. Hope Pittsburgh was an excellent concert. :)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Official Pittsburgh Thread ** Spoilers** 7 June 2017
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2017, 10:29:55 AM »
Went to Jerry's once a few years ago. Decided never to go again.

There was a sealed UABRS laserdisc in the bin with the rest of the U2 stuff. I went online to price it, and was more that willing to pay the $20 to $30 that I saw it for.

I politely took it up to Jerry and asked what he wanted for it. I thought he was going to give me a price. I had my cash in my had ready to go. He rudely grabbed the disc away from me, accusingly asked me "Where'd you get this?" like I had stolen it from his holy stash, and grumbled that one of his people put it out there by mistake. He snapped, "It's not for sale!" and wouldn't even entertain an offer. I had a stack of about 10 records that I was ready to buy. I put them down at the stop and walked out.

But I digress. Hope Pittsburgh was an excellent concert. :)

Wow, that's an interesting story. Was this before the UABRS DVD?

One time I found a ZooTV Sydney Laserdisc at a Half Price Books about six years ago, but I didn't buy it. Really wish I would have, especially since I ended up buying a player shortly after.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:31:36 AM by Starman »