Author Topic: Official Pittsburgh Thread ** Spoilers** 7 June 2017  (Read 3503 times)

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
Re: Official Pittsburgh Thread ** Spoilers** 7 June 2017
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2017, 11:55:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Went to Jerry's once a few years ago. Decided never to go again.

There was a sealed UABRS laserdisc in the bin with the rest of the U2 stuff. I went online to price it, and was more that willing to pay the $20 to $30 that I saw it for.

I politely took it up to Jerry and asked what he wanted for it. I thought he was going to give me a price. I had my cash in my had ready to go. He rudely grabbed the disc away from me, accusingly asked me "Where'd you get this?" like I had stolen it from his holy stash, and grumbled that one of his people put it out there by mistake. He snapped, "It's not for sale!" and wouldn't even entertain an offer. I had a stack of about 10 records that I was ready to buy. I put them down at the stop and walked out.

But I digress. Hope Pittsburgh was an excellent concert. :)

Wow, that's an interesting story. Was this before the UABRS DVD?

One time I found a ZooTV Sydney Laserdisc at a Half Price Books about six years ago, but I didn't buy it. Really wish I would have, especially since I ended up buying a player shortly after.

It was actually just either 1 or 2 years ago.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »

There was a sealed UABRS laserdisc in the bin with the rest of the U2 stuff. I went online to price it, and was more that willing to pay the $20 to $30 that I saw it for.

I politely took it up to Jerry and asked what he wanted for it. I thought he was going to give me a price. I had my cash in my had ready to go. He rudely grabbed the disc away from me, accusingly asked me "Where'd you get this?" like I had stolen it from his holy stash, and grumbled that one of his people put it out there by mistake. He snapped, "It's not for sale!" and wouldn't even entertain an offer. I had a stack of about 10 records that I was ready to buy. I put them down at the stop and walked out.

Wow, that's an interesting story. Was this before the UABRS DVD?

One time I found a ZooTV Sydney Laserdisc at a Half Price Books about six years ago, but I didn't buy it. Really wish I would have, especially since I ended up buying a player shortly after.

It was actually just either 1 or 2 years ago.

Huh, interesting that he was such a jerk about not selling it.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »

I've met Jerry on a few occasions, and he's said that U2 and Tom Waits tend to be his two hottest commodities, and that they tend to disappear about as soon as they hit the shelves.

I've also heard (maybe apocryphal) stories of tshirt companies as far away as Japan wanting to make a shirt w his stores name on it, but that he's curmudgeoningly refused each and every time companies from all over the world have floated ideas along those lines to him.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2017, 04:20:16 PM »
Also, I love how this Pittsburgh thread is still alive and well!

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2017, 07:35:11 PM »

I've met Jerry on a few occasions, and he's said that U2 and Tom Waits tend to be his two hottest commodities, and that they tend to disappear about as soon as they hit the shelves.

I've also heard (maybe apocryphal) stories of tshirt companies as far away as Japan wanting to make a shirt w his stores name on it, but that he's curmudgeoningly refused each and every time companies from all over the world have floated ideas along those lines to him.

I've only met him once (last week) but my impression was that he's a pretty old fashioned guy who genuinely loves vinyl and music. I've been in many record shops and have dealt with some real pieces of work, he seemed to be very tame by comparison. Even reduced the price from $50 down to $45 for the 9 records we picked up and complimented our selections. I commented that I thought his prices were insanely good (compared to where I'm from) and he told me to tell our local record shops to stop overcharging.  ;D

This is in contrast to a local old curmudgeon record store guy who had the nerve to criticize my niece's Led Zeppelin selection because "all the kids come in these days wanting Zeppelin, or the Doors, or Pink Floyd" as if to imply my niece was simply another trendy young vinyl person when in reality she hates modern music, loves the classics, and plays guitar. Basically unfairly judging a book by its cover rather than, you know, acting like a proper businessman and selling the dang album to her. If it wasn't such a good deal, we would've just left without buying it.

Anyway, for those who have had a negative experience with Jerry, I heard while in the shop that he's retiring soon. So if you've been avoiding the shop because of him, check it out pretty soon once he's gone. The records I bought from him were in great shape and looked even better after I ran them through my vinyl cleaner.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2017, 09:00:45 PM »
I've only been to the shop once for some reason but I had a good experience. I talked with him about old RCA 45's that my grandmother owned (he wanted to buy them based on the descriptions).