Author Topic: Official Cleveland Thread ** Spoilers** 1 July 2017  (Read 2118 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: Official Cleveland Thread ** Spoilers** 1 July 2017
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2017, 08:52:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They played Mysterious Ways AND Ultraviolet? Wow...I hope they do that in Phoenix!
Isn't that the first time on this tour that they've played both...or am I nuts again?

They played MW and UV in East Rutherford a couple nights ago.visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool chart... thanks for sharing!

Offline XkellyX

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2017, 08:57:54 AM »
Fellow Classmates, was I the only one that caught Cleveland legend  Jane Scott's picture during ultraviolet?  Shout out to whoever thought of adding her for the Cleveland date.

Offline McSwilly

• Wanderer
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2017, 09:39:36 AM »
Glad to kno I'm not the only U2 set list nerd with charts and such, Thanks.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2017, 10:16:04 AM »
Glad to kno I'm not the only U2 set list nerd with charts and such, Thanks.

Credit where it's due...I didn't make the chart...but the person who does is in my twitter feed so I get them after every show.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2017, 12:12:48 PM »
In the mixlr I was listening to, there was a woman booing during Miss Sarjevo. Anyone else hear this?

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2017, 12:42:29 PM »
Was a great show, my second of three on this tour -- Louisville prior and Dublin coming up. The Plain-Dealer review noted that Bono seemed frustrated by his voice cracking, but I thought he was in great spirits with some definite end-of-tour-leg joy happening. We were in GA right in front of the sound board and it was pretty neat to realize that Ali was right behind us with the crew.

There are so many highlights on this tour, but Exit has blown me away both times. Other songs bring me more joy, but the intensity of Exit along with the accompanying video insanity is fantastic.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2017, 12:59:54 AM »
I was at the show and it was a very interesting experience (mostly good). Too tired from little sleep last night, walking the Rock Hall today, traveling home, and editing photos from the show, but will post an actual review of the day later today.

Offline kseguin

• Wanderer
  • Toronto, Cleveland, Dublin, Detroit
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2017, 05:00:32 AM »
Show was fantastic.  Did Toronto last weekend, Cleveland this weekend.  Was in Red Zone this time.  Very well organized venue.

U2 did the usual set to a crowd that was really into it.

Heading to Dublin in a couple of weeks.

Offline typecase

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2017, 02:17:27 PM »
Fellow Classmates, was I the only one that caught Cleveland legend  Jane Scott's picture during ultraviolet?  Shout out to whoever thought of adding her for the Cleveland date.

It was a great touch.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2017, 03:09:13 PM »
Whew! Still a bit tired, but back to normal non-concert life now.  :) This review will likely be a little long since I like to be as detailed as possible.

We arrived at the stadium at 7am, aware of the fact that stadium security would start giving out wristbands at 8am. At this point, there was already quite a queue. Several hundreds I estimated at that point. This is in contrast to Pittsburgh when we showed up at 9:30am and were still only 170th in line.

Security began giving out the wristbands early, probably around 730-745. I heard of some drama at the front of the line, but did not check it out. It's my understanding from others that there was an issue with the list/non-list people. Basically, non-list people started queueing up at 4am, list people got there sometime around 6am and discovered a bunch of non-list people waiting ahead of them. A little bit of chaos ensued, but I understand they ended up just combining the two lines and it worked itself out. That said, some who were "bumped" down (i.e. the list people) complained on Facebook/Twitter. We also saw one woman who was full on crying because she had been bumped down.

We (my two nieces and I) waited until around 845am and got wrist banded at that point. We were numbered in the 560s, not bad at all as we noticed a HUGE number of people show up right after we had arrived at FirstEnergy Stadium. We were told to come back and line up between 2-4pm. It's my understanding that FE did not honor the fan list and also that they only gave out 1500 wrist bands.

Funny, or not so funny story. After the first 100 got wrist banded, one of the list people came to the back of the line (where we were) and proceeded to tell us "I don't think it's worth you guys waiting for a wrist band, you might as well just come back at 5pm and line up." She was totally serious and I'm not sure what her motivation was in doing this, but we ignored her and stood in line. As it turns out, if we had followed her "advice" we would have been number 2000 or so to get into the stadium. So if anyone ever tells you not to wait for the wrist band, IGNORE them.

After food, a nap, and a quick trip to a local record shop (where I picked up a used original pressing of TJT vinyl record for $15) we headed back to the venue around 2pm. There was a lot of people lined up at this point but it was totally chaotic. Unlike Pittsburgh where we were neatly organized into a two by two line by number (right against the building and barricaded off), people were just all over the place. No one knew exactly what was happening.

Since no formal line was together, the nieces and I walked around and quickly found where the band was set to enter. Alas, they didn't arrived until we were lined up for GA but we got to hear the cheering of the crowd below as Bono stopped to sign autographs/take pictures.

Anyway, we didn't want to lose our spot (despite the wrist bands) and so went back to where the crowd was. Security began shouting out that they would start letting people upstairs (and into the venue) by number, at which point they'd be organized by security to make sure everyone was in order. So the first 100, then the next and so on. Security didn't use a megaphone so most could not understand what exactly the head of security wanted. Eventually they did get a megaphone.

Things were still chaotic, but we were told (more like yelled at) to organized ourselves on the right side of Cree gate (where GA was) based on numbers. This was total chaos, unlike Pittsburgh, as everyone was everywhere. Finally after asking people what number they were, we figured out which group of people we were with.

Then we waited. And waited. People were supposed to be let into the stadium at 4pm but that did not happen. We were finally taken up the ramp and then organized by each 100, as promised. Security had 8 separate lines (1-100, 101-200 etc.) where people lined up. First we went through the metal detectors and then we scanned our credit cards and got our official wrist bands. Then we were put into our respective line.

It ended up being nearly 5:30 before the first 600 were let into the stadium. I still think this process was not as well organized as Pittsburgh, but I do give props to venue security for making sure people did not run to their spots on the floor and that none of us felt rushed getting to our desired spot. We ended up a few people back from the B stage, close to Bono's part of the stage.

Unlike Pittsburgh where the show started promptly at 7, OneRepublic didn't take the stage until 7:30 or so. I'm not a huge fan of them, but thought they put on a good show and sounded excellent. I liked them better than The Lumineers, but that's probably not saying much.  ;)

OneRepublic was done with their set by 8:30pm and immediately U2's crew started getting ready for U2's set. We assumed this meant that U2 would take the stage right at 9, but they didn't until close to 9:30pm.

It's at this point where a drunk fan nearly ruined the experience for me. Sometime between the end of OR's set and before U2's started, I felt someone pushing into my back HARD--this person had not been there earlier in the evening. They kept doing so and then yelled at me to stop pushing them. Now I've been to dozens of concerts on the floor, so I know people tend to push to get closer to the stage, even if they haven't done the time of waiting to get close. So I just stood my ground, didn't move, didn't push. The pushing lady then bumped me hard and forced me into the back of the person in front of me. That person was annoyed and I tried to explain to her what was going on, but she told us to knock it off and act like adults. Fortunately the person just to my left saw what was going on and knew it was the lady behind me that was the problem, not me. He told her to knock it off.

Of course, the drunk lady did not and kept pushing, alternating between doing that and yelling at myself and the people to my left, trying to start a physical fight. I had my nieces with me (thankfully just ahead of me and to the left) and I've never been in a physical fight in my life, so I decided my best option was to just ignore her. And that's what I did.

She continued her antics with me until the 2nd song of U2's set. Finally at that point I was able to move to my left further and get away from her. She then started to push into the lady who was previously in front of me, so that lady figured out that drunk lady was the problem before, not me. Redemption, or whatever. But anyway, drunk lady pushed/picked fights with at least 8 other people around me, got yelled at twice by security but was not ejected. I think she should have been kicked out because she clearly could not handle her alcohol and no fans should be subjected to what I and the others around me were. It sucked and dampened my mood for the first few songs.

Luckily, as I said, I got away from her and was able to take in the show with my nieces right in front of me. Bono was close to our area many times and seeing how much fun my nieces were having instantly brightened things. The girls enjoyed being so close to all the band members for those first 4 songs and then to Bono for many other songs, plus still being able to take in the full visuals. B stage is definitely the place to be.

As far as U2's show was concerned? Wow. As good as Pittsburgh was (and the 360 shows I attended before it), this one was on another level. Some people in our area also attended the Chicago shows and said Bono seemed to have better energy at this Cleveland show than Chicago's, which really says something since Chicago shows are always among the highlights of the US tour. Bono was very talkative, very energetic, and sounded great save for a few points where his voice cracked.

Adam, The Edge, and even Larry, seemed to all be in good moods. I know Adam is very happy acting on stage in general, but again it seemed like he was really into tonight, moreso than Pittsburgh. Even The Edge was cracking some smiles. I think the band definitely fed off of the energy of the crowd and it showed.

U2 played the typical first four and then TJT. Then MS to start off the encore. I heard that some people booed during MS, but everyone around us seemed to enjoy the video and song a lot. Much like Pittsburgh, though, I saw complaints online that people felt the show was too political.

Next U2 played BD, Elevation, and Vertigo. I'm still not sure I like this order (those latter two high energy songs one after another) but it seemed to work well enough tonight. A highlight was Larry's shy wave during the Elevation bridge and my nieces going positively nuts for it (they're both bigger fans of Larry/Adam than Bono/Edge).

Right after Vertigo, they played MW. I was thrilled to hear the song again, but also a little bummed that it meant we wouldn't get UV (one of my favorites off AB). Or so I thought. On this night, Bono used the song to celebrate a female audience member who he brought up on stage to dance with him. She's been up on stage twice before (during I&E) but Bono acted like they were total strangers. They danced pretty close together and Bono asked her name twice plus commented how he might have met his match and how the girls in Cleveland were hot. A little cringe worthy for some from what I've heard, but what happened next was even funnier. After dancing with the audience member, Bono announced that Ali was at the show tonight (her second of the tour) and that he was sorry, the girls aren't usually that hot. Lol. My niece's jaw literally dropped. As it turns out, Ali + the rest of the family (Bono's sons and I assume his daughters) and Larry's family were all at the soundboard area (according to others who hung out near there).

Bono next sung happy birthday to a female crew member before going into UV. I know some fans do not like the specific women chosen for the Herstory montage, but I liked it just as much as the last time. Finally, U2 closed with "One" complete with the "Hear Us Coming" snippet. Bit disappointed to not hear Little Things, but glad I heard it in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago. "One" works fine enough as a closer, though.

So we got 22 songs which I was happy about as 21 is just not enough. Of course, I'd love to hear 24-25 but it was already past 11:30pm when the show ended.

As with last time, I managed to snap a lot of good pics with my point and shoot camera. Here's a few of my favorites:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

All in all, an incredibly night. My nieces had a blast and were blown away by how good the concert was.

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2017, 05:13:42 PM »
Really great images. As far as the GA line thing, I would've told the lady she herself shouldn't be lining up/ making a list so early and that being at the front is pointless. That's pretty rude 😡. I don't understand why u2 loves to bring people who've already been up on stage.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2017, 05:41:42 PM »
Really great images. As far as the GA line thing, I would've told the lady she herself shouldn't be lining up/ making a list so early and that being at the front is pointless. That's pretty rude 😡. I don't understand why u2 loves to bring people who've already been up on stage.

Thanks! Yeah, I was tempted to tell her why and how she was wrong, but I hadn't had my coffee yet and was too tired to argue, lol. I agree, being 2-3 rows back is just fine, still close enough for the band members to see you and for you to see everything (visuals and all).

I'm not sure why they bring up the same people, either. Might be that they know those people won't freak out the way someone totally new might. I would guess bringing up the same people would be predictable and comfortable for U2, just like the setlists.  ;)

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2017, 06:31:06 PM »

Thanks! Yeah, I was tempted to tell her why and how she was wrong, but I hadn't had my coffee yet and was too tired to argue, lol. I agree, being 2-3 rows back is just fine, still close enough for the band members to see you and for you to see everything (visuals and all).

I'm not sure why they bring up the same people, either. Might be that they know those people won't freak out the way someone totally new might. I would guess bringing up the same people would be predictable and comfortable for U2, just like the setlists.  ;)

Is this your first tour doing GA? I've noticed there's a lot more terrible people on the floor than an indoor tour.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2017, 06:45:02 PM »

This was my fourth show on the tour, and I really loved every bit of it except for MW. The audience dancing bit is just out of context for me. I like the song, and could do without it. The other 3 shows they didn't play it, so I was happy to see it in that respect. But several people around me were yelling at her to get off the stage and I kind of had to agree. She's probably a nice woman but the impression was of a desperate to be cool soccer mom. I'd have liked it better if they'd just played the song and had an awesome video like Ultraviolet or Vertigo.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2017, 07:43:26 PM »

You would think so, but that woman in Cleveland was kind of much, even for someone who has been on stage before.