Author Topic: So U2 Finally Played RHMT Live *spoiler in thread*  (Read 1455 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
So U2 Finally Played RHMT Live *spoiler in thread*
« on: May 13, 2017, 11:14:43 AM »
So the anticipation as been huge about them playing RHMT and of course last night they did.

I am interested to read your thoughts on it...

Here is a video of the performance:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The comments on the youtube video so far are not very favourable...so what say you...?

Online WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: So U2 Finally Played RHMT Live *spoiler in thread*
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 11:16:50 AM »
I didn't like it very much. The performance felt very dry and unspectacular.

Offline pukka

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »
Not impressed expected more!

Lacked oomph!

Need to revisit the workings on this one for me!
(Hopefully in time for Twickenham :P

Offline Angle McDangle

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 12:04:29 PM »
To nail this live they need to try and stick as close to the album track as possible, any fannying about costs this big style....who cares if Bono can't nail it like he did back in the day, a good crowd will carry it.....

Offline 73October

• Party Girl/Boy
  • A hurricane being born
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 12:06:59 PM »
Thought Bono might sing like he did on the recent reworked single - maybe first night nerves? 

Liked the Sally Army band visuals to the point of distraction (that's 'cos I have a nephew who plays bass tuba (not on that video) so was eagerly anticipating an appearance of the bass tuba...!).

Think they need the Brighouse & Rastrick brass band for the UK dates as would be much more in keeping with the song lyrics.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 12:07:05 PM »
I was at the show and it was a highlight. Red Hill and Exit were the 2 songs of the night for me and also for the group I was with.

It is restrained compared to the record version. Bono isn't bellowing it out like he does on record, but he does hit the notes. I guess you just had to be there. I thought it was great.

Offline U2_One

• Refugee
  • You Miss Too Much These Days If You Stop To Think
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 12:07:40 PM »
I'd probably prefer guitar rather than piano, but I felt the song hit more of a comfort zone as it went on. To play a thirty year old song for the first time in front of a big crowd still has to be quite the adjustment. Heard everything through mixlrs rather than live, but "every JT song every night" should be beneficial to a song like this that had never been played. The album as a whole seemed to flow well live; I'll admit to being unsure about that previously.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 12:27:45 PM by U2_One »

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 12:09:25 PM »
It sounded alright, but it was never a huge favorite of mine. Bono was pretty decent on the vocals considering nobody really expected him to do much with it. But the piano sounds kind of boring to me in it. I think it would be better if Edge played guitar instead.

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 12:13:39 PM »
I saw a U2 tribute band in York last night & they played it properly with guitar, not loving this version

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 12:16:46 PM »
As a nonfan of the song, I was first a little scared and perplexed by this version when it started, but then I was okay with it. Solid.

And I'm surprised with Bono.

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 12:25:43 PM »
I must admit, I was slightly underwhelmed. Maybe it's due to the lack of guitar, but I can definitely see why they have never played it live before up until now.

Very tough to get right, there's a lot to RHMT and that's before we start talking vocals. I do think they could make minute changes to this over the course of the tour but it wasn't terrible but not great either. Bono sounded good on it

Offline mariamontreal

• Numb
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 12:29:04 PM »
I mentioned in another thread these were strong powerful songs 30yrs ago and them being a lot younger I found the JT songs missed the mark. They were ok.

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 12:30:19 PM »
Tuned out after the first chorus. Meh. And get back on guitar the Edge !!

Offline Rising Sun

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
I hadn't listened to the song in a long time, so thought it sounded great when I watched the live stream last night.  It didn't quite achieve the "lift-off" of the original, but in the sequence of the album, it fit in nicely.  After watching the YouTube video and listening to the album version, I still think it's pretty good but that Edge could move back and forth from the keyboards to the guitar for at least the high notes he hits on the album version.  I had forgotten how subtle the rest of the guitar on the album version is, or at least more subtle than my memory of it, so I'm not sure what playing only guitar and no keyboards would add to the live version.  A combination might be the way to go... 

Offline olimar

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »
Fundamentally, I dont think Edge is a particularly strong piano player. His style is almost identical each time, just plodding chords or, in this case, a fairly sparse arpeggio.
There are only a handful of songs where Edge has played piano on the studio version and it works well, but when its replacing guitar in a live version, the success rate is pretty much zero.
I think this falls into the same category as Running to Stand Still and Miss Sarajevo as two that spring to mind that translate worse.