Author Topic: So U2 Finally Played RHMT Live *spoiler in thread*  (Read 1229 times)

Offline CLarryG

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: So U2 Finally Played RHMT Live *spoiler in thread*
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2017, 01:51:52 PM »
Underwhelming. Needs guitar, not piano. And too much talking through the lyrics.  SING for the fences, Bono!

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 01:56:23 PM »
Is it just me, or did Bono seem a little strained the whole night? Curious if this had a direct impact in how they arranged the songs, esp RHMT and NYD. Playing in a lower key could have just been easier for Edge on piano than guitar, depending on the song. Feels suspect, since NYD was several keys lower and Bono seemed hesitant to hit any high notes.

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 02:28:21 PM »
Yup...needs the guitar. I thought Bono did a pretty decent job...the song has some tough notes.

Offline dtc

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 02:42:56 PM »
I did a fair amount of online bitching about RHMT after hearing the atrocious organ version they were practising. So it was good to see Adam and Larry playing too. It was not as bad as I feared but the piano lacks the drama of the guitar parts, like how he switches to the more urgent parts pre and in the chorus. I got none of that from the piano. It was also played a tone / step down and as someone else said that changes the whole thing too, and not for the better. This version sounds like a bunch of old men I am afraid to say.

It's not like it's hard to play, even on a guitar tuned down. They have played SBS a tone and a half down. He's playing the arpeggios on the piano so I can't for the life of me work out why he can't just play the guitar. Anyway I am going to stop there before I get told, once again, that it is their song and they can play it how they like. True. But they sound sh*t and it doesn't have to be this way. Peace 😀

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 11:55:06 PM »
Song amazing, performance amazing, the video kind of blah

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2017, 04:34:19 AM »
No Guitar is a big mistake.

The Bassline and drum parts are changed completely. Couple that with the all the other things...the song suffers badly. Sounds like a West End Musical reworking. All in all...the song has gone from potential tour highlight...to a toilet break...in one underwhelming performance. Heres hoping the band manage to take notice of all the calls for at least the return of the guitar. The song itself is a simple song...keep it as such

Offline Fastcars12

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 04:35:15 AM »
Just OK I guess. IGC on the other hand was fire.

Sent from my P00A using Tapatalk

Offline OptimaX

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • ZOOPOP
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2017, 06:17:39 AM »
I think Bono cleverly changed the "Hanging on" bits so he wouldn't strain his voice... However, I really dislike how he does it.

I am a singer myself and it is a bit of 'cheating' by just stretching out the hanging word like he does. It is now HAAAAAAANGING ON, which gives him the time to quickly adjust to the right key if needed.

But most of all I really miss the 2nd "HANGING OH-OOOO-ON" bit like how it is on the album, because I consider that an iconic Bono moment.

Offline aviastar

• Refugee
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 06:54:11 AM »
I see the video of brass band but the horns aren't really popping on the mix...could possibly be the video quality/proximity to stage.  Perhaps that's why it sounds flat - it has to be really experienced live to appreciate.  Maybe the uploaded videos just aren't giving it it's proper due.  It's very possible that Edge off the guitar, but a more prominent horn track sounds better.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2017, 07:45:58 AM »
I think they pulled it off well. For bono's age, he did the song justice.

Firstly, it's worth mentioning that the current staging, set-up and imagery of this tour is perhaps the best they have ever used. The clarity is frighteningly good.

Highlights for me (from YouTube viewing) were:

- A sort of homecoming. Really loved the added keyboard. The band absolutely nailed it and it was an emotional, uplifting listen. Gorgeous harmony from edge.

- trip through your wires. I've always found the apathy towards this song surprising. It's probably their best attempt at blues in their canon. Love the harmonica, in fact everything about the song. brilliantly performed in Vancouver.

- exit. the band sounded amazing, bono at his show man's best. Epic.

- In god's country. They out-performed their original jt tour version. Edge's solo was closer to the brilliant album sound.  Really surprised Bono sang it as well as he did. Overall, fantastic version.

- one tree hill. Awesome. Tear jerking. I think there were references to Greg Carroll and the recent Native American river/land dispute on the screen. Very moving performance.

- streets.  just looked and sounded amazing. Would have bought a tear to my eye had I been there.

Other comments:

The little things: the first half sounds promising and I would like to hear the album version.

I think so cruel commented that finishing with miss Sarajevo and the new song didn't really work out, people leaving on a bit of a downer, so that may need tweaking.

Also, the whole 'women's rights' thing during ultra violet seemed a bit distracting and took away the focus from a great song. Could it be reapplied to another song? Maybe, maybe not.

Overall, from what I've seen on YouTube, I'd give it an 8/10. Some great highlights in there.

Almost forgot, the FULL version of New Year's Day, for the first time in eons. It sounded fierce. That song sounds so much better with all of its original component parts. I think I've found new love for that song now.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 09:03:08 AM by miami »

Offline Kmama07

• Party Girl/Boy
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 08:53:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Underwhelming. Needs guitar, not piano. And too much talking through the lyrics.  SING for the fences, Bono!
This. I don't even expect him to hit all the notes. But the guitar is key for me in this song.

Offline Argo

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Am Here
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 09:06:20 AM »
Listened to the vid just now. Never been much of a fan of the song but actually don't mind this version of it. Bono sings it pretty well. Very passionate.

Offline pukka

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 10:24:23 AM »
Listened to it a few times now on my mobile with a decent pair of earphones, bit more bass and it ain't to bad! When the rhythm section gets involved with the chorus it sounds great but the verses are a bit flat needs tweaking, needs edges guitar not piano!

The song will evolve and they'll get it right I suppose but if that's how they want it then that's that!

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2017, 10:46:57 AM »
For me, it was the worst version of any of the songs from the JT. A big let down and a big disappointment. However it was the FIRST time its ever been played live, 30 years after it was recorded. It SHOULD get better. And yes, it needs guitar.

TTYW and Exit were the best two songs of the night for me.

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2017, 12:15:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think they pulled it off well. For bono's age, he did the song justice.

Firstly, it's worth mentioning that the current staging, set-up and imagery of this tour is perhaps the best they have ever used. The clarity is frighteningly good.

Highlights for me (from YouTube viewing) were:

- A sort of homecoming. Really loved the added keyboard. The band absolutely nailed it and it was an emotional, uplifting listen. Gorgeous harmony from edge.

- trip through your wires. I've always found the apathy towards this song surprising. It's probably their best attempt at blues in their canon. Love the harmonica, in fact everything about the song. brilliantly performed in Vancouver.

- exit. the band sounded amazing, bono at his show man's best. Epic.

- In god's country. They out-performed their original jt tour version. Edge's solo was closer to the brilliant album sound.  Really surprised Bono sang it as well as he did. Overall, fantastic version.

- one tree hill. Awesome. Tear jerking. I think there were references to Greg Carroll and the recent Native American river/land dispute on the screen. Very moving performance.

- streets.  just looked and sounded amazing. Would have bought a tear to my eye had I been there.

Other comments:

The little things: the first half sounds promising and I would like to hear the album version.

I think so cruel commented that finishing with miss Sarajevo and the new song didn't really work out, people leaving on a bit of a downer, so that may need tweaking.

Also, the whole 'women's rights' thing during ultra violet seemed a bit distracting and took away the focus from a great song. Could it be reapplied to another song? Maybe, maybe not.

Overall, from what I've seen on YouTube, I'd give it an 8/10. Some great highlights in there.

Almost forgot, the FULL version of New Year's Day, for the first time in eons. It sounded fierce. That song sounds so much better with all of its original component parts. I think I've found new love for that song now.

I was there and agree with absolutely everything in this post. The 6 songs you highlight were all the absolute best. I might throw in NYD also - that was a good performance of the song.