Author Topic: Least Favorite U2 Album/Era?  (Read 860 times)

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Re: Least Favorite U2 Album/Era?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 10:00:48 AM »
Even though ATYCLB is probably the album I listen to the least, i realize it was an important album for the band, so i will say NLOTH, which other than the opening track, I don't really like, and can't say that the 360 era had a lot going on for the band.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Numb
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 12:08:54 PM »
Bomb is their weakest album. My least favorite.  Amazing that it won Grammy for album of the year.

That being said, Vertigo is one of music's best post-2000 anthemic rock songs

I feel Bono went into the studio with a wishlist of songs.  I want a political song, a lighter holding ballad, a zippy rock song that sounds like The Who or Stones.

They didn't let the songs write themselves.  Aboy, lapoe, oots, sometimes are just trying too hard. 

A man and a woman is underrated. That seemed to come naturally.

City of Blinding Lights is a well executed track. But the chanting at the crowd in chorus seems unbecoming classic U2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 04:37:27 PM »
you lost me at Vertigo...
I prefer HTDAAB to the albums that surround it.  SYCMIOYO is IMHO, their last great ballad with EBW being close.

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 06:44:01 PM »
All eras have been special in their own right, but i'd have to choose the Boy / October era. Although it's their debut and I love both of those records, I just prefer with that touch more maturity about them. Can't deny how raw and fierce they were back in the day. And I didn't even exist!! :D

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 09:15:22 PM »
Hmm it seems HTDAAB is the least popular, Although not my favorite album I really enjoy it. Miracle Drug is on my top 10 U2 songs for sure.

I dont really have a least favorite era, but Ordinary Love and Invisible was quite a strange time.
Personally I think the present is the hardest time for U2.

Offline aviastar

• Refugee
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
Least Favorite U2 Album/Era?
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 09:17:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hmm it seems HTDAAB is the least popular, Although not my favorite album I really enjoy it. Miracle Drug is on my top 10 U2 songs for sure.

I dont really have a least favorite era, but Ordinary Love and Invisible was quite a strange time.
Personally I think the present is the hardest time for U2.

Bomb has a bunch of good tracks IMO...I like Miracle Drug, SYCMIOYO, Love and Peace or Else, COBL, etc.

It's a good excercise album...I usually have it on when I am biking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:23:20 PM by aviastar »

Offline KenKaniff

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 09:40:43 PM »
Can't listen to NLOTH. Nothing I like on it.

Really hoping for a fresh, new, exciting era.

Offline 40four

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 06:15:03 AM »
Zooropa/ Pop have never done too much for me.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 08:09:35 AM »
Pop took on a life of its own live. The production on some of the album tracks feels unfinished.  Mofo most improved track ever from album to concert.  Initially it was an acquired taste

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 09:28:46 AM »
Let me start out by saying that I still like what I consider to be U2's weakest songs.  Love the band, their music, their shows, etc. = pretty much all of it.  But for me, my least favorite U2 era is the nearly six years since the end of the 360 tour. 

In the six years since the end of the 360 tour:
   U2 has released one album that I'm a bit blah about.  It's great that others enjoy Songs of Innocence -- it has some good songs.  But I find most of it dull -- I can't remember the last time I've listened to any of it.  That's okay -- personally, I love No Line on the Horizon, though I know I'm in the minority on that one.
   That album was supported by a half-year tour.
   A quick follow-up album was hinted at but never happened.
   Now, U2 has started touring behind an album that's 30 years old.

So -- in the nearly six years since the end of the 360 tour, U2 has released one album that I'm a bit neutral about.  Toured behind that album for half a year.  And last week embarked on a summer tour for an album released 30 years ago.  Still love them, but with that kind of output the past half dozen years, right now is my least favorite U2 era.       

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2017, 10:25:46 AM »
There is no era I like more or less than others, they all offer something.  If I had to make a criticism it would be consistency.  I get they want to explore new sounds and styles but I've never subscribed to that approach.  Do what you are good at and keep the experimentation to the best of the best of that experimentation and leave the rest to B sides.  Focus the rest of your time on what you do well.  I think this is where U2 has gone astray and they are paying for it now to some degree as they haven't crafted their core sound over the years, spending way to much time trying to be something else.

I remember when Achtung came out I was disgusted.  I have grown used to the songs on that album over time but I clearly remember hearing The Fly (first single from that album) for the first time and was so disappointed. Oh well.

Offline szmanley

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »
It makes me sad to see all the hate for HTDAAB as it's my favorite; granted it was the first U2 album I ever listened to so it may have some bias there. I am personally not a fan of October. I personally think you can tell it was rushed and that all of the themes within it lyrically are incomplete. But to each their own.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 02:30:09 PM »
Post MDH soundtrack up unto NLOTH.

Both the ATYCLB and HTDAAB listening experiences never made it past the touring stage.  It was horrible to see the band actively seeking to be media darlings and producing radio friendly music at a time when bubble-gum pop and cover versions were in vogue while musicians like the White Stripes and the Strokes were fighting against the tide. It felt that U2 were firmly in the wrong side of the fence.

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 02:44:25 PM »
I feel that you really need to see the songs performed live to get a full appreciation and understanding of what the album and songs are about.    I am very appreciative of the fact that 1) they are still alive 2) they are still performing 3) they are still together and 4) they are still making new music.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 04:20:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Post MDH soundtrack up unto NLOTH.

Both the ATYCLB and HTDAAB listening experiences never made it past the touring stage.  It was horrible to see the band actively seeking to be media darlings and producing radio friendly music at a time when bubble-gum pop and cover versions were in vogue while musicians like the White Stripes and the Strokes were fighting against the tide. It felt that U2 were firmly in the wrong side of the fence.

I can't say you're wrong...but I felt like HTDAAB was their attempt to sound like bands like The Strokes. Even the album art seemed to indicate a desire to be "punk", or at least rock. I'm not saying it was successful in that regard, but that's my impression of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk