Author Topic: Least Favorite U2 Album/Era?  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
Re: Least Favorite U2 Album/Era?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 06:03:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Post MDH soundtrack up unto NLOTH.

Both the ATYCLB and HTDAAB listening experiences never made it past the touring stage.  It was horrible to see the band actively seeking to be media darlings and producing radio friendly music at a time when bubble-gum pop and cover versions were in vogue while musicians like the White Stripes and the Strokes were fighting against the tide. It felt that U2 were firmly in the wrong side of the fence.

I can't say you're wrong...but I felt like HTDAAB was their attempt to sound like bands like The Strokes. Even the album art seemed to indicate a desire to be "punk", or at least rock. I'm not saying it was successful in that regard, but that's my impression of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, unfortunately, in an attempt to appeal to the younger audience, they sounded more like Busted than they did The Strokes.

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2017, 07:21:42 PM »
SOI. I just find it such a boring, dull album. I only really like Every Breaking Wave and The Troubles on it. Such a disappointment. I'm not very keen on ATYCLB or HTDAAB either, although there are some excellent songs on both albums that I do love. I just find both albums really patchy and quite uninspiring. No sense of adventure or creativity about them, unlike their brilliant 90's work. I do like NLOTH though. Apart from a couple of weaker tracks I think it's their most interesting and innovative album since Pop.

Offline Petejbridge

• Stateless
  • Clockworks and cold steel...
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 10:41:40 PM »
SOI. I just find it such a boring, dull album. I only really like Every Breaking Wave and The Troubles on it. Such a disappointment. I'm not very keen on ATYCLB or HTDAAB either, although there are some excellent songs on both albums that I do love. I just find both albums really patchy and quite uninspiring. No sense of adventure or creativity about them, unlike their brilliant 90's work. I do like NLOTH though. Apart from a couple of weaker tracks I think it's their most interesting and innovative album since Pop.
Couldn't agree more with everything you say here except that I'm slightly more forgiving of SOI.  It's funny cause my favorite songs from the early 2000's are often the most criticized on the forum from that era i.e. AMAAW, Wild Honey, Electrical Storm.  I'm a staunch AB-Pop fan and that includes non U2 side projects etc and I find a lot of stuff on NLOTH maybe the closest we've come to that era since. The bashing of that album never has made much sense to me considering all the fans of U2s more experimental stuff.. My two cents

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 12:11:20 AM »
Let me start out by saying that I still like what I consider to be U2's weakest songs.  Love the band, their music, their shows, etc. = pretty much all of it.  But for me, my least favorite U2 era is the nearly six years since the end of the 360 tour. 

In the six years since the end of the 360 tour:
   U2 has released one album that I'm a bit blah about.  It's great that others enjoy Songs of Innocence -- it has some good songs.  But I find most of it dull -- I can't remember the last time I've listened to any of it.  That's okay -- personally, I love No Line on the Horizon, though I know I'm in the minority on that one.
   That album was supported by a half-year tour.
   A quick follow-up album was hinted at but never happened.
   Now, U2 has started touring behind an album that's 30 years old.

So -- in the nearly six years since the end of the 360 tour, U2 has released one album that I'm a bit neutral about.  Toured behind that album for half a year.  And last week embarked on a summer tour for an album released 30 years ago.  Still love them, but with that kind of output the past half dozen years, right now is my least favorite U2 era.       

It has been a strange couple of years. Are we allowed to mention The Oscars?
too soon?

im sorry :(

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2017, 10:06:05 AM »
Let me start out by saying that I still like what I consider to be U2's weakest songs.  Love the band, their music, their shows, etc. = pretty much all of it.  But for me, my least favorite U2 era is the nearly six years since the end of the 360 tour. 

In the six years since the end of the 360 tour:
•   U2 has released one album that I'm a bit blah about.  It's great that others enjoy Songs of Innocence -- it has some good songs.  But I find most of it dull -- I can't remember the last time I've listened to any of it.  That's okay -- personally, I love No Line on the Horizon, though I know I'm in the minority on that one.
•   That album was supported by a half-year tour.
•   A quick follow-up album was hinted at but never happened.
•   Now, U2 has started touring behind an album that's 30 years old.

So -- in the nearly six years since the end of the 360 tour, U2 has released one album that I'm a bit neutral about.  Toured behind that album for half a year.  And last week embarked on a summer tour for an album released 30 years ago.  Still love them, but with that kind of output the past half dozen years, right now is my least favorite U2 era.       

It has been a strange couple of years. Are we allowed to mention The Oscars?
too soon?

im sorry :(

I also should have thrown the Spider-Man musical onto my original bullet-point list.  Bono and the Edge working through all the "drama" of that for a few years.  Surely that delayed what became Songs of Innocence.  Without the musical, maybe everything else would have moved up a couple of years.  Maybe it was the response to the musical has made U2 a bit gun shy.  Just some thoughts by someone who isn't hanging out in the studio with the band or really know anything about what's going on in their heads from a new music perspective.     

Offline Rasmus

• Wanderer
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2017, 10:21:23 AM »
NLOTH by far - weak/weird songs and a tour with no theme ("360"). It was somewhat saved by some cool live songs like Zooropa and The Unforgetable Fire though. After that comes the SOI era till now (unfortunately). I really dislike the nostalgia theme that the band has had going for the last 3 years. Its the direct opposite of what made me a fan to begin with. I dont think SOI is a terrible album but its not great either and the band needs a great one at this point. Third is probably the R&H era of self-importance.