Author Topic: The first single of SOE is...  (Read 5173 times)

monopoly

The first single of SOE is...
« on: May 15, 2017, 02:00:51 AM »
The best thing... really??? Little things is so much better...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

monopoly

Re: The first single of SOE is...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 02:02:32 AM »
He also said the single may not be released until next year...

Offline Chargedvt

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 02:07:30 AM »
Bono not quoted as saying that.
But we're sure to hear more shortly.
But if true that's pretty sh**.

monopoly

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 02:13:14 AM »
Bono not quoted as saying that.
But we're sure to hear more shortly.
But if true that's pretty sh**.

The article quotes bono

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 02:25:35 AM »
No single until next year. No album until next year.

Why oh why should they wait. I thought it would be PERFECT to bring those things soon during/after the tour. They're popular during that time - more sales

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 03:55:02 AM »
Edge criticised the lack of a protest voice from within the music world to the political changes of the last 12-18 months, saying:

“Music has been very muted in its response. The only connect and the only response to what is happening is coming from the women’s movement — they have the vision and they’re doing important grass-roots work”.

Here's an idea, Edge...instead of u2 writing stuff like 'you're the best thing about me' how about writing some hard hitting songs that 'respond' or provide some commentary/protest about whatever it is you are supposedly pi**ed off about...

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 04:01:19 AM »
Knowing U2, "The Best Thing" might be a completely different song from what we've heard in that collab with Kygo.

But next year? Here we go.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:50:48 AM by lucas.homem »

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 06:42:50 AM »
"Bono also revealed that their next single - which may not be released until next year..."

That sounds about right.  Based on their history, if they work on something and then let it sit for months, they rarely go back to it, because they don't find it relevant anymore.  For a recent example, Songs of Innocence was "70% complete" when the I-E Tour began.  The world continues to change faster and faster.  And so we inch closer and closer to the frighteningly accurate "Jick Algorithm." 

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 07:00:44 AM »
There's no real substance here, The Irish Times know no more than we do.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 07:01:50 AM »
Knowing U2, "The Best Thing" might be a completely different song from what we've heard in that collab with Kygo.

It doesn't really matter how different the instrumentation if those lyrics are the same.

Offline Daniel94

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 07:38:03 AM »
Edge criticised the lack of a protest voice from within the music world to the political changes of the last 12-18 months, saying:

“Music has been very muted in its response. The only connect and the only response to what is happening is coming from the women’s movement — they have the vision and they’re doing important grass-roots work”.

Here's an idea, Edge...instead of u2 writing stuff like 'you're the best thing about me' how about writing some hard hitting songs that 'respond' or provide some commentary/protest about whatever it is you are supposedly pi**ed off about...

Yea seriously. The Best Thing as the first single makes zero sense given these comments. Moreover, the lyrics are in general some of the worst Bono has ever written.

I really hope this doesn't turn out to be the case.

Offline mcpaulson22

• Babyface
  • Ill see you again when the stars fall from the sky
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 07:59:24 AM »

It doesn't really matter how different the instrumentation if those lyrics are the same.

I think we shouldn't count the chickens before they hatch. Take this news like a grain of salt and see what happens. If "The Best Thing" happens to be their first single, then so be it. No one has heard the studio version so it is likely it could be much better than we think.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 08:41:53 AM »
I feel TRUMP's victory gave U2 amo to put forth some guitar driven songs with some energy but I don't feel like it will go that way.  The only celebrities cashing in on TRUMP are comedians who have been handed a gold mine of material

monopoly

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 10:33:19 AM »

I think we shouldn't count the chickens before they hatch. Take this news like a grain of salt and see what happens. If "The Best Thing" happens to be their first single, then so be it. No one has heard the studio version so it is likely it could be much better than we think.

If they haven't made any changes, I'm pretty sure the bono beach house clips were the studio version. Not the kygo performance one, that's definitely a remix

Offline PieBlaCon

• Refugee
  • I believe in the Kingdom Come
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »

What are you on about? The Edge is on fire! He's written 500 political protest songs just in the last week. The band has a new energy about them. The album will be delayed a bit, yes, but it will be very timely...