Author Topic: The first single of SOE is...  (Read 3054 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
Re: The first single of SOE is...
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 11:03:31 AM »
Did Bono even say next year? I don't see a direct quote from him stating "the single won't be released til next year." It seems more like speculation by the press.

In any event, the single usually comes before the album, so if they're going to release SoE this year as they promised in the X-Mas video, that single needs to be out this fall.

Also, why release that single yet play a totally different new song at the concerts? Wouldn't it make more sense to release TLTTGYA as a single?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 11:18:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Edge criticised the lack of a protest voice from within the music world to the political changes of the last 12-18 months, saying:

“Music has been very muted in its response. The only connect and the only response to what is happening is coming from the women’s movement — they have the vision and they’re doing important grass-roots work”.

Here's an idea, Edge...instead of u2 writing stuff like 'you're the best thing about me' how about writing some hard hitting songs that 'respond' or provide some commentary/protest about whatever it is you are supposedly pi**ed off about...

What are you on about? The Edge is on fire! He's written 500 political protest songs just in the last week. The band has a new energy about them. The album will be delayed a bit, yes, but it will be very timely...

Ah thats me told then!! I shouldn't have doubted them...

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 01:54:52 PM »
Knowing U2, "The Best Thing" might be a completely different song from what we've heard in that collab with Kygo.

But next year? Here we go.

The chances of this are pretty much certain. If this version is on the album, then the only album they could release is a full on 4/4 dance album. This was the kygo remix and the album version will be a mix between pop/rock

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Dublin, Chicago 1, Toronto
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 02:27:40 PM »
Why even bother with these quotes folks.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • I'm a long way from your hill of calvary
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 09:42:58 PM »
As an Irish person, I am more concerned with Eamonn Dunphy getting any credit than with the ineptitude of the song. Post-Achtung Baby U2 lead singles tend to be weaker than the album they represent (Discotheque, GOYB, Beautiful Day, The Miracle) but Eamonn Dunphy is the greatest a$$#0*e in history.

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 10:36:38 PM »
Edge criticised the lack of a protest voice from within the music world to the political changes of the last 12-18 months, saying:

“Music has been very muted in its response. The only connect and the only response to what is happening is coming from the women’s movement — they have the vision and they’re doing important grass-roots work”.

Here's an idea, Edge...instead of u2 writing stuff like 'you're the best thing about me' how about writing some hard hitting songs that 'respond' or provide some commentary/protest about whatever it is you are supposedly pi**ed off about...

U2 don't write protest songs. Never have, never will. Hell, War was explicitly an anti-protest song album. They've always been a fan of the longer term methods of change (and damn is their track record good), and this reflects in the music. Doesn't mean there shouldn't be any, but that's the job for the young bands, not U2. Their job is and has always been to lift us up, give us hope, and inspire us to go be the change we want to see in the world.

Offline BONO31

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 03:08:52 AM »
"The Best Thing" and "The Little Things" are masterpieces!
"Songs of Experience" will be their Best album since "Pop", I'm sure.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:03:11 AM by BONO31 »

Offline JFW

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 05:00:16 AM »
"The Best Ting" and "The Little Things" are masterpieces!
"Songs of Experience" will be their Best album since "Pop", I'm sure.
There could be very good material!

"SOE being born" clip on intagram
"Broken pedal" in the Fender clip

Really looking forward to that song (Bono hadn't sing like that before)

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 06:25:56 PM »
So some songs have been rewritten to reflect the the changing political landscape and so far we have The Best and Little Things.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 06:36:42 PM »
I will say, I am not sure what Best Thing will end up sounding like, but that hook got me.
It runs threw my head every time I try to get the melody of TLTTGYA (first time typing that), Best Thing seems to always win!

As far as which song is better, need to wait for the released version, for me anyway.

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 06:40:13 PM »
I liked the melody of the verses of Best Thing and keep liking it. As long as they rework that chorus, the tune is fine for me.

Of course, I expect more instrumental action in the studio version.

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 06:44:55 PM »
I guess Bono just simply cannot be trusted!!

Offline Bmoney

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 08:11:08 PM »
What a joke. I love U2's music, and imo they're they greatest band on the planet, but all of this 'blame everything on Trump' stuff is getting old fast. If the album is ready, it's ready. A politician being elected that they didn't like because it was popular to hate on him isn't a reason to delay an album.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 08:55:31 PM »
I guess Bono just simply cannot be trusted!!

yea. welcome to being a U2 fan.

Offline Rasmus

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 01:08:33 AM »
If this is true it might be the final nail in the coffin for the relationship between me and U2.