Author Topic: The first single of SOE is...  (Read 3027 times)

Offline This Dave

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: The first single of SOE is...
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2017, 01:56:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If The Best thing IS the proposed next single...then i have no objection to the band never releasing it all. I think its yet another sub par offering from the band. Id be hacked off if it has got a space on the new album. SO much for the next album being in the same vein as Zooropa :'(

Was 'Boots' supposed to be a return to U2 attempting experimentation ? It was certainly different to the other noughties songs.

Be careful what you wish for.

The only experiment they were conducting with "Boots" is "Can we get people to not notice we are releasing Vertigo again?"

Online georgemccauley

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »
Knowing U2, "The Best Thing" might be a completely different song from what we've heard in that collab with Kygo.

But next year? Here we go.

The chances of this are pretty much certain. If this version is on the album, then the only album they could release is a full on 4/4 dance album. This was the kygo remix and the album version will be a mix between pop/rock

I hope to god that it isn't the version we heard coming out of Bono's beach house windows.  That was a piece of LiteFM schlock.  At least the Kygo version was SOMETHING, instead of some big puff ball of nothing.

Probably an early draft of some sort, if you could hear the same tune now chances are it's drastically different. Was it a rocker or another EBW ballad?

Offline This Dave

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2017, 02:06:58 PM »
Knowing U2, "The Best Thing" might be a completely different song from what we've heard in that collab with Kygo.

The chances of this are pretty much certain. If this version is on the album, then the only album they could release is a full on 4/4 dance album. This was the kygo remix and the album version will be a mix between pop/rock

I hope to god that it isn't the version we heard coming out of Bono's beach house windows.  That was a piece of LiteFM schlock.  At least the Kygo version was SOMETHING, instead of some big puff ball of nothing.

Probably an early draft of some sort, if you could hear the same tune now chances are it's drastically different. Was it a rocker or another EBW ballad?

EBW is a good example of not going all-in on a song. The way they performed it on MTV is what it should have been on the album.  If you want to do a haunting, spare song about your dead father trying to hold you back, DO IT.  Don't add in pretty pieces to make it a little more middle-of-the-road. 

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2017, 02:11:37 PM »
If The Best thing IS the proposed next single...then i have no objection to the band never releasing it all. I think its yet another sub par offering from the band. Id be hacked off if it has got a space on the new album. SO much for the next album being in the same vein as Zooropa :'(

Was 'Boots' supposed to be a return to U2 attempting experimentation ? It was certainly different to the other noughties songs.

The only experiment they were conducting with "Boots" is "Can we get people to not notice we are releasing Vertigo again?"

The only real resemblance between Boots and Vertigo is the riff.

Offline This Dave

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2017, 02:13:08 PM »

I'm going to have to agree to disagree there.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2017, 02:16:48 PM »

I'm going to have to agree to disagree there.

For starters vertigo is a good song Boots is utter gash.

Online georgemccauley

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2017, 02:20:44 PM »

EBW is a good example of not going all-in on a song. The way they performed it on MTV is what it should have been on the album.  If you want to do a haunting, spare song about your dead father trying to hold you back, DO IT.  Don't add in pretty pieces to make it a little more middle-of-the-road.

I agree, but I think we are long overdue another rocker from U2. Ever since boots we've had really poor attempts at trying to write timeless pop songs. Let's whack out the guitar and delay again Edge and give us some powerful riffs and melodies for SOE

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2017, 02:21:52 PM »
For starters vertigo is a good song Boots is utter gash.

That's one for sure.

The only real resemblance between Boots and Vertigo is that both have a prominent guitar riff... which, of course, gives the song no hipster street cred amongst the "ambient-only or bust" crowd, but what can you do?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:25:44 PM by trevgreg »

Offline This Dave

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2017, 02:37:23 PM »

I agree, but I think we are long overdue another rocker from U2. Ever since boots we've had really poor attempts at trying to write timeless pop songs. Let's whack out the guitar and delay again Edge and give us some powerful riffs and melodies for SOE

But what is a "rocker" from U2? If a "rocker" has to be Edge with a buzzsaw guitar and Bono shouting "Yeah Yeah" or some such...did U2 ever have a rocker in the 80's? Was SBS a rocker? Was Streets? Was Pride? Imagine that.... Imagine them trying to do something driving and anthemic that wasn't "Yeah yeah yeah rock and roll yeah yeah!". Something that might even have what you'd consider intellectual lyrics and references?

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2017, 04:18:28 PM »

It's still better for U2 to experiment than rehash the same concepts repeatedly with each given album.

Offline Pouakai

• Wanderer
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2017, 02:47:23 AM »
But what is a "rocker" from U2? If a "rocker" has to be Edge with a buzzsaw guitar and Bono shouting "Yeah Yeah" or some such...did U2 ever have a rocker in the 80's? Was SBS a rocker? Was Streets? Was Pride? Imagine that.... Imagine them trying to do something driving and anthemic that wasn't "Yeah yeah yeah rock and roll yeah yeah!". Something that might even have what you'd consider intellectual lyrics and references?
I Will Follow? Like a Song...? Out of Control? New Year's Day? I can think of plenty that I'd count as a rocker, though probably not the ones they're best known for, and none that have been decent for a fair while (maybe Beautiful Day at a stretch, Vertigo definitely counts)

Offline OnlyU2

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2017, 08:24:28 AM »
I just listened to Kygo,  You're the best thing about me, and I almost feel guilty to say that I don't like the song.  I don't know how much different the album version will be, but that version concerns me.

Online georgemccauley

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2017, 08:54:43 AM »
I Will Follow? Like a Song...? Out of Control? New Year's Day? I can think of plenty that I'd count as a rocker, though probably not the ones they're best known for, and none that have been decent for a fair while (maybe Beautiful Day at a stretch, Vertigo definitely counts)

Yes, all of those. Even songs like Crumbs from Your Table, City Of Blinding Lights.

Get on Your Boots was their last rocker tune, slightly concerning that "The Miracle" was their best attempt at another one. SOE needs to deliver with another big tune or it could be curtains

Offline BONO31

• Babyface
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2017, 09:03:13 AM »
I just find that on youtube, Eamon Dunphy speaks about the new U2 song:

Offline This Dave

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2017, 03:28:11 PM »

I agree with all of these. My point is that, except for Vertigo, if Bono says something is a "rocker" in the last 10+ years, it's not going to be anything so unique as those sounds. It's going to be edge with a buzzsaw guitar and a lot of Bono shouting. It's like some old man from 1979's attitude of what he thinks "The kids and their rock and roll music" sounds like, coming from the last person on earth who should think that way.