Author Topic: U2's Joshua Tree tour: stuck in the past, or a new sense of purpose?  (Read 6763 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: U2's Joshua Tree tour: stuck in the past, or a new sense of purpose?
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2017, 12:44:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And all THAT said - this is absolutely nostalgia. Hey if JT is your fave album and you always wanted to hear it, enjoy and have fun. However, I'm not inclined to applaud a band that would skip a new album in favor of touring a 30 yr old album. I'm willing to cut them some slack if them playing Little things that give you away means SOE is coming later this year. And for all we know JT30 may be Live Nation twisting their arm because SOE isn't out yet, thus I/E tour doesn't continue.
 But still...it's dissapointing to see a band once so focused on new material so bent on looking back.

Alls I'm saying is that U2 have been consistently looking backwards, both for inspiration and in their musical style, since 1998. I am not saying it is all bad or begrudging them anything. They can do what they want (and what they want is often not what I want for them). That is all fine.

But what bothers me is when people claim that U2 has never looked back, and this current tour is the one example of their doing so. It's laughably revisionist and ignorant of the actual facts.

But then, facts don't matter anymore, so.

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »
All I'll say is it's easier to look back on things, good or bad, than to look forward or remain in the present at times.  It is good to have things planned and to look forward to (a new album release for the band, or for you & I - a 'bucket list' event), but just getting there can have endless possibilities and be a struggle at times.  It's easier to look back once you have done it and say how good or how bad the experience was.  Sometimes a good experience gives us a good sense of purpose and drive to accomplish newer things.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2017, 02:28:18 PM »
Certainly they deserve to look back a bit, though.  They have earned it.  Every act has a career arc, and it's worth noting that U2 has remained relevant for so long that they have far beaten expectations (TJT2017 tour is the hottest summer tour according to Stubhub).  They can't be all innovative all the time; every act coasts on past glories a bit, and that's okay.  Also, while they are reminiscing, they have given us a new song, and hints at a new album!

So let's enjoy it while they are still playing, folks.

I agree. I'm just saying that enjoyment of this tour doesn't require turning a blind eye and insisting that U2 have always and ever been forward-looking and innovative.

In the years to come, we will talk about this tour as the time we knew it was over. We won't admit it now. But we'll all know it later.

Over?

Mate, it's a band! It isn't a movement or a medical organisation, that are actively trying to change the world....

They make and play music. They made their mark, one of the biggest marks ever to be made.
They are touching their 60's....Anyone expecting another "relevant reinvention" needs to take a serious look at themselves and ask themselves, maybe they're the one's afraid of letting go of their youth 

So long as they make good music and play great shows, what's the problem?

If you don't distinguish between U2 as four guys going up and playing on a stage and U2 the band with that force of nature X-factor, then I guess it's all good as long as they have a pulse. But yes, it can be "over" in other ways.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2017, 03:42:49 PM »
I doubt it very much that this could be the band's last tour they definitely would have done an announcement then a world tour. U2 aren't done yet. Looking forward for the new album and seeing them on next tour.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2017, 07:33:28 PM »
I doubt it very much that this could be the band's last tour they definitely would have done an announcement then a world tour. U2 aren't done yet. Looking forward for the new album and seeing them on next tour.

I don't mean that this is going to be their last tour. My concern is that we are going to wish I&E was. They wouldn't be the first band to hit this point and start completely living off of their past, releasing albums no one listens to just to check the box, while  performing as a cover band of themselves on stage and raking in money from fans who will go to see them because they are a name. Bono used to speak out against that, actually. Bands you were supposed to be excited to see "because it's them, man", even though they  had become pale imitations of themselves on stage.

I don't think we are there yet. But if you had asked people on this forum 10 years ago...hell, two years ago....about a "Remember The Joshua Tree?" Tour, I think everyone would've almost universally opposed the idea, and considered it antithetical to who this band is. But once it happens, we make our justifications.

I've spent a good chunk of my life defending U2 to people who hate them just to hate them, or because they are successful, or because Bono rubs them the wrong way. Went down a lot of roads with them when people were confused and weren't getting the U2 they expected. That was all great. But this time feels different.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 07:35:34 PM by This Dave »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2017, 08:04:59 PM »
I'm firmly in the camp that U2 did this tour as a chance to get back to the stadiums and make some good $. It is what it is. I really didn't enjoy the i&e show I saw so I welcomed the JT Nostalgia tour. At least I'd be hearing some of my favourite U2 songs live for the first time. I saw Vancouver and enjoyed it, very good show until the last 4 songs.

Offline Rik

• Babyface
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2017, 03:35:20 AM »
Looking back to the past, playing songs (or an entire album) from years ago, doesn't mean you're stuck in the past. It can also be seen as showing resepct and understanding for where you come from, and cleverly linking the past to the present (also commercially a hit, yes, nothing wrong with that IMO). The band deserves much more credit, in particular from journalists (and fans I have the impression sometimes) who seem to be stuck in the past themselves. There is a completely new album on the verge of being released fgs - strongly rooted in here and now!

The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Paul McCartney, Paul Weller, Bob Dylan, Queen, Pearl Jam: the list of heritage act that are still touring is endless. Are they being accused of being stuck in the past, or are they just being judged by different standards? The same is true for Coldpaly (already now a heritage act).

One of the reasons (there are many) why I am still a fan of U2 is that they continue to bring out new albums, with new music, not repeating what they did before. I like some albums more than others, that is a different discussion. But at least they have the guts to write and bring out new music, with exiting news tours (I&E is one of the best and exiting tours out there over the last years).

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2017, 03:39:09 AM »
I also feel that U2 are trying to please their fan's by doing this nostalgia tour  in the past so many people complained that they never play the old songs maybe they listened. If that is true let's hope for AB tour sometimes soon.

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2017, 05:26:57 AM »
Certainly they deserve to look back a bit, though.  They have earned it.  Every act has a career arc, and it's worth noting that U2 has remained relevant for so long that they have far beaten expectations (TJT2017 tour is the hottest summer tour according to Stubhub).  They can't be all innovative all the time; every act coasts on past glories a bit, and that's okay.  Also, while they are reminiscing, they have given us a new song, and hints at a new album!

So let's enjoy it while they are still playing, folks.

I agree. I'm just saying that enjoyment of this tour doesn't require turning a blind eye and insisting that U2 have always and ever been forward-looking and innovative.

In the years to come, we will talk about this tour as the time we knew it was over. We won't admit it now. But we'll all know it later.

Over?

Mate, it's a band! It isn't a movement or a medical organisation, that are actively trying to change the world....

They make and play music. They made their mark, one of the biggest marks ever to be made.
They are touching their 60's....Anyone expecting another "relevant reinvention" needs to take a serious look at themselves and ask themselves, maybe they're the one's afraid of letting go of their youth 

So long as they make good music and play great shows, what's the problem?

If you don't distinguish between U2 as four guys going up and playing on a stage and U2 the band with that force of nature X-factor, then I guess it's all good as long as they have a pulse. But yes, it can be "over" in other ways.

U2 have given me music, a soundtrack to my life, songs that allow me to reflect on memories and feelings, live shows that raise me up to a level where I can forget my troubles for 2 hours....

But, a force of nature?
They don't have the power to change the world, start/end wars, end turmoil in the middle east, allow world peace to happen and they are most certainly not invincible.

I love how they changed their sound and went through different phases. It was very inspiring but, you can't keep doing at when you're hitting 60!
Also, JT is based on American blues and RnB. I can also hear traces of Rory Gallagher and Quo on that album. If we are using the whole "looking back argument" here and the whole nostalgia thing, then you can lump one of their most successful albums in with it and that they came a "nostalgic band" back in 1987.

That is how laughable the argument has become.

If U2 really had become a nostalgic band, that relied on their past to get them through, they wouldn't have delayed SOE. They would have just put it out for the sake of it.

And if they did decide to go that route, so what? Every artist has
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 05:28:28 AM by the_chief »

Offline jerr65

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2017, 08:34:43 AM »
In my opinion , I feel that U2 have the right to  look back, They have always have done new things, New Album, New Sound, New Look etc .

once in a while I think its OK to look back.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2017, 08:43:10 AM »
The past is just as relevant now as it was back then. Their new album will reflect that. Can't wait.

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2017, 09:13:02 AM »
The past is just as relevant now as it was back then. Their new album will reflect that. Can't wait.

Good music is timeless. Simple as that!

Seriously, everyone has the right to look back on their lives/careers etc. It genuinely comes across as very music snobbish off people to deny anyone that.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2017, 11:53:37 AM »
Looking back to the past, playing songs (or an entire album) from years ago, doesn't mean you're stuck in the past. It can also be seen as showing resepct and understanding for where you come from, and cleverly linking the past to the present (also commercially a hit, yes, nothing wrong with that IMO). The band deserves much more credit, in particular from journalists (and fans I have the impression sometimes) who seem to be stuck in the past themselves. There is a completely new album on the verge of being released fgs - strongly rooted in here and now!

The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Paul McCartney, Paul Weller, Bob Dylan, Queen, Pearl Jam: the list of heritage act that are still touring is endless. Are they being accused of being stuck in the past, or are they just being judged by different standards? The same is true for Coldpaly (already now a heritage act).

One of the reasons (there are many) why I am still a fan of U2 is that they continue to bring out new albums, with new music, not repeating what they did before. I like some albums more than others, that is a different discussion. But at least they have the guts to write and bring out new music, with exiting news tours (I&E is one of the best and exiting tours out there over the last years).

Well, yes, they are. Who thinks of Pink Floyd as a band that's still vital and putting out new, memorable songs? What's the most recent new Stones song you know? What percentage of Depeche Mode's tour is songs written post-1993?

And sorry, Springsteen lovers, but he can put out a new iteration of the same song every year, but it's still the same old thing. But when half of your songs are about nostalgia to begin with, the standard is different.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 12:39:00 PM by This Dave »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2017, 12:41:43 PM »

Well, yes, they are. Who thinks of Pink Floyd as a band that's still vital and putting out new, memorable songs? What's the most recent new Stones song you know? What percentage of Depeche Mode's tour is songs written post-1993?

And sorry, Springsteen lovers, but he can put out a new iteration of the same song every year, but it's still the same old thing.

I agree with you except on Springsteen. He's tried exploring new ground on his later albums. There's touches of Irish Folk (Death to my Hometown), Gospel & Hip Hop (Rocky Ground), Bluegrass (We Are Alive). Springsteen can't be accused of resting on his past success like the Stones or the Who.

Offline miamiborne

• Babyface
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2017, 03:15:32 PM »
I think this article is dramatic.  They are always going to look back at this album in a nostalgic way.  But it is also a Big cash grab to do the JT tour, and they will keep the momentum going with the new album.  Openly bashing Trump, while probably genuine, is just another method to keep them in the public eye, limelight IMO.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 03:17:53 PM by miamiborne »