Author Topic: U2's Joshua Tree tour: stuck in the past, or a new sense of purpose?  (Read 6530 times)

Offline miamiborne

• Babyface
Re: U2's Joshua Tree tour: stuck in the past, or a new sense of purpose?
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2017, 03:15:32 PM »
I think this article is dramatic.  They are always going to look back at this album in a nostalgic way.  But it is also a Big cash grab to do the JT tour, and they will keep the momentum going with the new album.  Openly bashing Trump, while probably genuine, is just another method to keep them in the public eye, limelight IMO.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 03:17:53 PM by miamiborne »

Offline timeisatrain

• Babyface
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2017, 04:26:21 PM »
This U2 is making a wonderful job..... Destroying Pre-2000 U2 legacy.

Is not a question  of age, a lot of old people make cool and creative stuff.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2017, 06:02:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think this article is dramatic.  They are always going to look back at this album in a nostalgic way.  But it is also a Big cash grab to do the JT tour, and they will keep the momentum going with the new album.  Openly bashing Trump, while probably genuine, is just another method to keep them in the public eye, limelight IMO.

I'll ask one more time if anyone knows: Is the thing about Trump getting rid of the HIV programs even real? Or is it just something that COULD happen being treated as if it were something that DID happen?

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2017, 06:19:38 PM »
In my opinion , I feel that U2 have the right to  look back, They have always have done new things, New Album, New Sound, New Look etc .

once in a while I think its OK to look back.

It's not "Once in awhile" at this point. We went from 360 dropping a huge chunk of No Line from its set in favor of the AB anniversary, to an entire album of looking back to being kids (not that I have a problem with that), to touring an album from 1987.  "Once in awhile" is in very real danger of becoming "the last ten years".  Think about that.  It factually is not a "thing they do on occasion" at this point.  It is becoming a significant percentage of their career.

SOI combined with the lyrics to "The Little Things That Give You Away", combined with this JT Tour is making me believe very strongly that Bono has some kind of serious block when it comes to moving forward.  I think he is finding himself forced to dive into the past for inspiration to write anything, and I think he's absolutely terrified by that.  In my opinion, that's probably going to either give us their greatest work in years, maybe ever, when he finds a way to overcome whatever he's going through, or it's going to be the end of the band.  They went through a something like this going into the recording of AB, but this has clearly gone on much longer now. 

Their next move can't be "Remember this thing we did before?". Their next album can't be "We came out of punk north side Dublin mom died Larry's kitchen we came out of punk re-applying for biggest band we're called U2 here's our first song" stuff. They've fired those arrows.  I've been worried about this for a long time, and each new go-round, I only see it getting more entrenched. 

They need an Achtung Baby. They need a POP.  They need something that some people love, some people hate, but nobody expects.  They need to be artists, not a band producing a U2-Branded commodity.

If SOE is "Yeah that's some more songs that are exactly what you've come to expect from U2".....I'm not sure there's a point to listening to their new albums when you can go listen to a more inspired version of the same thing.

Online bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2017, 06:21:32 PM »

I'll ask one more time if anyone knows: Is the thing about Trump getting rid of the HIV programs even real? Or is it just something that COULD happen being treated as if it were something that DID happen?

His proposed budget does include large cuts to foreign aid and global health funds which HIV programs are be part of.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2017, 01:13:34 PM »
Why is it, every Music act on the planet, can go back and play seminal albums from their past, without their reasons etc being being scrutinised.....apart from u2 that is

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2017, 01:18:10 PM »
Why is it, every Music act on the planet, can go back and play seminal albums from their past, without their reasons etc being being scrutinised.....apart from u2 that is

This isn't an unfair question. U2 are being treated differently than these other bands. But that's because (at least for me), I respect U2 differently than those other bands. I don't mind it from them because I don't expect better.  And they don't get my attention, admiration and money like U2. 

Online aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2017, 01:36:06 PM »
They need an Achtung Baby. They need a POP.  They need something that some people love, some people hate, but nobody expects.  They need to be artists, not a band producing a U2-Branded commodity.

If SOE is "Yeah that's some more songs that are exactly what you've come to expect from U2".....I'm not sure there's a point to listening to their new albums when you can go listen to a more inspired version of the same thing.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment.  I think this is where U2 lives now.  Embrace it.

I wore my U2 1987 TJT tour tee shirt to the office today (it's a repro; I was 8 in 1987).  A couple of older colleagues were asking about it and reminiscing about how they went to 1987 show(s).  I showed them some video of the 2017 tour, the EPK, etc... They loved it.   I talked a bit about I+E and 360 tours.  They essentially said "eh, I haven't followed them since the 80s...".  They didn't even know the name of recent tours or the albums.  Man, they were all in on buying tickets to TJT2017 though.  That SCREEN!  Look it's red just like it was in 1987!

I know we as superfans think the band have had multiple peaks of creativity (they have), and that they are usually in the public conciousness somewhere....but aside from some Apple ads, for the average person they have been an afterthought for 20 years or more.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:39:41 PM by aviastar »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2017, 01:46:19 PM »
Honestly don't see a problem with them doing this little run for what is with the masses their most well known album....

Not a fan of the album myself but as i say no issue with them doing it - it shouldn't however in my view (assuming u2 are still hungry to get good new stuff out) have an impact in terms of delaying new stuff.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2017, 02:03:01 PM »

Don't set yourself up for disappointment.  I think this is where U2 lives now.  Embrace it.

I wore my U2 1987 TJT tour tee shirt to the office today (it's a repro; I was 8 in 1987).  A couple of older colleagues were asking about it and reminiscing about how they went to 1987 show(s).  I showed them some video of the 2017 tour, the EPK, etc... They loved it.   I talked a bit about I+E and 360 tours.  They essentially said "eh, I haven't followed them since the 80s...".  They didn't even know the name of recent tours or the albums.  Man, they were all in on buying tickets to TJT2017 though.  That SCREEN!  Look it's red just like it was in 1987!

I know we as superfans think the band have had multiple peaks of creativity (they have), and that they are usually in the public conciousness somewhere....but aside from some Apple ads, for the average person they have been an afterthought for 20 years or more.

I'm going to make a point here, and I hope I am putting it as delicately as possible so that it is correctly understood. I'm not sure where U2 would be in America right now if 9/11 had not happened.  ATYCLB did ok initially, but it didn't connect with the popular culture in a huge way once Beautiful Day died down.  But just about a year later, when the attacks happened, suddenly Walk On was being played in HEAVY rotation, and people temporarily developed a hunger for meaningful music.  We don't think enough about what a HUGE, HUGE boost that was to their popularity at the time. TV specials, Superbowl, the firemen and cops on stage at MSG....  It gave them a new life in the popular mindset.  I'd say it gave them an extra ten years in a position they wouldn't have had otherwise.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2017, 04:27:35 PM »
In my opinion every band has that one album that people remember them by JT is U2s. The other is AB
In all fairness  a AB tour is justified as well.I really hope they consider that.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2017, 05:14:38 PM »

This isn't an unfair question. U2 are being treated differently than these other bands. But that's because (at least for me), I respect U2 differently than those other bands. I don't mind it from them because I don't expect better.  And they don't get my attention, admiration and money like U2.

Exactly. I don't give a toss what Tears for Fears is up to these days, but we all care a LOT about U2. It sucks that any expression of concern is read as "negativity" by some around here.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2017, 05:17:52 PM »
They essentially said "eh, I haven't followed them since the 80s...".  They didn't even know the name of recent tours or the albums.  Man, they were all in on buying tickets to TJT2017 though.  That SCREEN!  Look it's red just like it was in 1987!

Yeah, I saw all those people leaving the Seattle show during Miss Sarajevo and The Little Things. They're not U2 fans, they're Joshua Tree fans. Of course they're going to leave during new or unfamiliar material. That's what happens when you do a nostalgia tour.

But at least this tour has bought the band a bunch of time to delay their new album.

</cynicism>

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2017, 11:52:15 PM »
In my opinion every band has that one album that people remember them by JT is U2s. The other is AB
In all fairness  a AB tour is justified as well.I really hope they consider that.

That kind of happened already, on a smaller scale. 360 dumped being the NLOTH tour at some point and became the Anniversary of AB tour, coupled with the Glastonbury show.

JT is definitely the album the non-fan remembers them by, that's for sure. Its greatness is undeniable, but I'll admit to having some bias against it due to the fact that people (at least in North America) laughed at POP because every U2 song is apparently supposed to be Still Haven't Found. And most people will never know the unheralded miracle that is So Cruel because we have to play WOWY an extra thousand times on the radio instead.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:59:07 PM by This Dave »

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2017, 11:56:59 PM »
They essentially said "eh, I haven't followed them since the 80s...".  They didn't even know the name of recent tours or the albums.  Man, they were all in on buying tickets to TJT2017 though.  That SCREEN!  Look it's red just like it was in 1987!

Yeah, I saw all those people leaving the Seattle show during Miss Sarajevo and The Little Things. They're not U2 fans, they're Joshua Tree fans. Of course they're going to leave during new or unfamiliar material. That's what happens when you do a nostalgia tour.

But at least this tour has bought the band a bunch of time to delay their new album.

</cynicism>

I made this point on another thread. If you are doing a nostalgia tour for Joshua Tree, people talking or leaving during new stuff is on U2, not the fans. They are specifically inviting fans  Who don't give a sh** what they are up to now. You put out an open invite for people who want the band to be stuck in 1987, that's what you get.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:59:54 PM by This Dave »