Author Topic: U2's "Jump the Shark" Moments  (Read 1422 times)

Offline BONO31

• Babyface
Re: U2's "Jump the Shark" Moments
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2017, 11:41:23 AM »
So what? Are we talking about money or about art?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"The Joshua Tree Tour 2017" replace "The Innocence+Experience tour" because SOE was not ready.
The truth is that U2 are less and less popular because they keep disappointing fans.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2017, 11:43:23 AM »

"The Joshua Tree Tour 2017" replace "The Innocence+Experience tour" because SOE was not ready.
The truth is that U2 are less and less popular because they keep disappointing fans.

U2 have always had a goal of mass commercial appeal.  At the same time, they have always been artistic...maybe it's not the artistic style that you prefer, but the new song is artistry, as is reimagining TJT tour with new technology.  I mean, we can demand everything be as edgy as Popmart, but let's not forget they lost some of the commercial appeal they strive for during that tour.

I think Bono has said as much to the effect that they don't want to be a band for audiophiles or music critics...they want to try and reach everyone.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:46:33 AM by aviastar »

Offline jrodr079

• Refugee
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2017, 11:57:51 AM »

Ok, this is 'Summer Concert Demand Ranking'. Key word: SUMMER.

If U2 was not the #1 ticket of summer season, in a "weak" season where competition is Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars and Tom Petty (Who I Saw two weeks ago and was excellent, but nowhere near U2) then WE"D HAVE A BIG PROBLEM.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2017, 12:02:17 PM »
Reading through this thread I feel that U2 hasn't really had any "jump the shark" moments.  I do, however, feel that many of their fans (especially a certain segment on this forum) have had many moments of getting their panties in a bunch while yelling about the band not doing exactly what they want/expect them to do.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2017, 12:25:29 PM »
Reading through this thread I feel that U2 hasn't really had any "jump the shark" moments.  I do, however, feel that many of their fans (especially a certain segment on this forum) have had many moments of getting their panties in a bunch while yelling about the band not doing exactly what they want/expect them to do.

This board is more down on U2 than most people in the general public are.

Offline BONO31

• Babyface
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2017, 01:13:16 PM »
If you're talking about "The Little Things", you're right, to me, this song is the best part of "The Joshua Tree Tour", but why not playing 4 or 5 new songs? Is that so much difficult at this stage of their career?

U2 have always had a goal of mass commercial appeal.  At the same time, they have always been artistic...maybe it's not the artistic style that you prefer, but the new song is artistry, as is reimagining TJT tour with new technology.  I mean, we can demand everything be as edgy as Popmart, but let's not forget they lost some of the commercial appeal they strive for during that tour.

I think Bono has said as much to the effect that they don't want to be a band for audiophiles or music critics...they want to try and reach everyone.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2017, 01:57:22 PM »
If you're talking about "The Little Things", you're right, to me, this song is the best part of "The Joshua Tree Tour", but why not playing 4 or 5 new songs? Is that so much difficult at this stage of their career?

They are fully capable of playing that many new songs a night. On the I+E tour they were playing about 6-7 new songs each night. TJT17 tour isn't about new music, it's about celebrating what is probably their most popular album and they have a set list to match. Once they release SOE and resume that tour, or reboot with something new, I'm sure they will be back to playing several new songs each night.