Author Topic: Controversy over U2 reinterpreting meaning behind songs?  (Read 347 times)

Offline zooguitar

• Babyface
Controversy over U2 reinterpreting meaning behind songs?
« on: May 15, 2017, 06:51:57 PM »
Is anybody else a little disappointed with Matt McGee's post-Vancouver comments regarding the focus on women's rights U2 dedicated "Ultraviolet" to? I was willing to chalk it up to a very personal connection to that song, but his followup comments about his unhappiness with the Africa-associations that "Streets" now has made it seem like he is more down on these specific causes and U2's promotion of them than anything.

First off, I think it's safe to say that many a U2 song has been dedicated to a cause larger than the themes discussed in the song itself, sometimes completely randomly. Beautiful Day became the official song of the Special Olympics. One has been dedicated to Shimon Peres, fighting homophobia, Turks suffering discrimination in Germany, the Bosnian War, and AIDS research. More recently, "Bullet" has morphed from a critique of US intervention, to Neo-fascism in Europe, to gun violence, to now police state tactics against peaceful protesters.

I guess what I'm feeling is disappointment. I thought the one thing that brought real U2 fans together was their passion for supporting important causes. I don't want to discount Matt's personal connection to Ultraviolet, as I know I have my own personal stories and connections to these songs. But the argument he makes could literally be applied to most songs U2 has released and then performed live. His arguments seem disingenuous and suggests something darker than just wanting to reserve these songs for himself. It is also very curious that he writes that "Ultraviolet" is now "politicized" (celebrating the accomplishments of women throughout history is a political decision like raising taxes on rich people or sending troops overseas? Hmm.). Is he not able to enjoy songs like Pride, MLK, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Silver and Gold, Please? Did he stop liking Please when he addressed it to the 9/11 attackers, changing it from its original focus of the Troubles? When Walk On was dedicated to Cuban pro-democracy activists?

Very disappointing.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Dublin, Chicago 1, Toronto
Re: Controversy over U2 reinterpreting meaning behind songs?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 07:57:36 PM »
Maybe you should post his review. I haven't read it.

If it has anything critical to do with Lena Dunham then I agree with him.

Malala = actual victim. Rose Parks = actual activist. Lena Dunham = profiteering and riding the coattails of a movement that has reached its goals and is now irrelevant.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 07:58:14 PM »
  In a year when women have been denigrated right and left, I appreciate U2 taking the time and energy to highlight women's issues.  God bless them for doing this!  I really couldn't care less what Matt or anyone else thinks of it; I just know that for me it is appreciated.  Even my church denigrates women and claims they can't be in positions of power or influence.  In Detroit, girls have been recently having genital mutilation surgeries.  Bono seems super respectful of women, and I appreciate his using his influence to spread this message.

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 07:58:54 PM »
Who is Lena Dunham and why does she anger everyone so much? 

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Dublin, Chicago 1, Toronto
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 08:23:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  In a year when women have been denigrated right and left, I appreciate U2 taking the time and energy to highlight women's issues.  God bless them for doing this!  I really couldn't care less what Matt or anyone else thinks of it; I just know that for me it is appreciated.  Even my church denigrates women and claims they can't be in positions of power or influence.  In Detroit, girls have been recently having genital mutilation surgeries.  Bono seems super respectful of women, and I appreciate his using his influence to spread this message.

Well, we are all super respectful of women and our mothers and sisters wives and gielfriends. Personally I am just tired of feminism being pushed down my throat every waking moment through the media. Its not 'anti woman' to say you are tired of media bombardment non-stop. Actually in 2017, men are the victims. Just so you know. 

Offline ZEROpartII

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 09:25:15 PM »
MOTD should be dedicated to Sasquatch and other Cryptozooids

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Administrator
  • Running to Stand Still
  • Deserve's got nothin' to do with it
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 11:40:26 PM »
Review here:

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 11:25:35 AM »
It is a shame in my opinion that Mr McGee when he clearly has so much to say about and such strong and interesting opinions on u2 has decided to stop posting them/discussing them here in the forum.

• Numb
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 06:54:30 PM »
Fine, change the emphasis to the victimhood of white males :p

Online imaginary friend

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • take the long way home
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »
U2 is free to reinterpret the meaning behind their songs however they want, and whenever they want.

Fans are free to be disappointed when they do so.

See how easy that was?

:)

Offline Kmama07

• Party Girl/Boy
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 12:36:45 AM »
U2 is free to reinterpret the meaning behind their songs however they want, and whenever they want.

Fans are free to be disappointed when they do so.

See how easy that was?

:)
Word

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 10:40:00 AM »
I have no problem with artists finidng new meaning in their works as they age and get new perspective on the world.  most great pieces of literature, and the Bible, have multiple layers of interpretation, and i'm guessing that not all of them are intentional.
that being said, there's another thing on artists trying to capitalize on trying to force new meanings when it is natural and is a big leap.

Offline Beneathadesertsky

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 08:05:27 PM »
Who is Lena Dunham and why does she anger everyone so much?

A comedian and not a very good one at that. Having her with the likes of some of the other historical women was a bad choice....I will stop there.