Author Topic: Are U2 teasing "Songs of Ascent" again?  (Read 519 times)

Offline BONO31

• Babyface
Are U2 teasing "Songs of Ascent" again?
« on: May 16, 2017, 03:39:49 AM »
Here's a recent video of Bono talking about the songs of ascent in the Bible
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And on U2 official instagram, there is a photograph referring to "No Line On the Horizon

As you know, "Songs of Ascent" is the companion album of "No Line On the Horizon".

So, maybe, the release of this album is imminent too?

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Re: Are U2 teasing "Songs of Ascent" again?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 09:58:37 AM »
I still believe that SOA became SOI.  Perhaps after SOE gets released, they will combine them into a single collection and call it SOA?

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • I'm a long way from your hill of calvary
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 10:01:25 AM »
No, the band has said there are three albums, but has expressed doubts that SOA would be released. Bono has talked about a trilogy, Dave Fanning indicated he had heard most of SOA and thinks they should release it, Adam has said there is a third album but that "Songs of Experience is the end of the current album-making cycle"

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 04:34:04 PM »
I'm always one to want new material, but if the band doesn't want it released, that makes me think we're not really missing much.  And that's assuming that there is a SOA album that exists even.  I'm more likely to believe there's a handful of songs that they've not used from the SOI sessions.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 05:52:18 PM »
I'm always one to want new material, but if the band doesn't want it released, that makes me think we're not really missing much.  And that's assuming that there is a SOA album that exists even.  I'm more likely to believe there's a handful of songs that they've not used from the SOI sessions.
We're talking the same band that postponed Pop because those songs weren't done... but the Hong Kong mixes say otherwise.

Offline georgemccauley

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 06:41:30 PM »
A "Songs Of" trilogy just sounds a bit too much. If Experience is sonically similar to Innocence, then naming the follow something completely different could free them up to be much more experimental again, maybe a full on dance album who knows?

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 10:30:10 PM »
Adam said there might be a SOA, but I'm not going to waste time thinking about it. It'll be at least another 5 years until then. U2 will end touring in 2018. An achtung baby tour would not happen til 2021. Whatever SOA material they had went into SOI and SOE. Mercy is in the little things, and almost everything (besides North Star, SFS IS NOT THE SAME IN ANY WAY!!)else ended up on SOI.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:32:36 PM by monopoly »

Offline BONO31

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 01:26:30 AM »
There's a lot of masterpieces that hasn't been released on a U2 album , like "Levitate", "Stateless", "Big Girls are Best", "Mercy", "Soon"...
"Songs of Ascent" is an ambient album, that's why U2 didn't want it to be released just after the infamous "No Line on Horizon". The band needed a hit single. It doesn't mean "Songs of Ascent" is not good.