Poll

Which tour do you prefer?

ZooTV
59 (76.6%)
Popmart
18 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Which do you like better: ZooTV or Popmart  (Read 848 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Which do you like better: ZooTV or Popmart
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 09:53:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Popmart, on every level and by every measure.

especially his voice right?

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 06:03:33 AM »
I think Willie Williams once said that, visually, PopMart was far better than Zoo TV and people would acknowledge that, eventually. I can see what he's saying but to me Zoo TV is really U2 at a creative peak.

I went to see both Tours and on many, many levels, Zoo TV was what PopMart was not.

First the setlist. AB was an amazing live album, allowing the band to expand the songs & sounds. The older tunes benefited from it immensly. At PopMart, most attempts at sounding different/new were a bit cheesy (Streets) or just plain wrong (Bullet). I never got why they played UTEOTW linked to LNOE when the songs carry lots of similarities (the ending, in particular). It really felt like having twice the same song.

The theme of the Zoo TV Tour made absolute sense artistically, politically... Personally, it helped me make sense of AB. I didn't get the album at first. PopMart does the exact opposite. It's a let down regarding the album. Zoo TV looked superficial but its inner core was deep. PopMart looked very superfical and sounded superficial most of the time too. But Pop is the exact opposite : deep.

I never fully recovered from Edge in a cowboy outfit. It's ok for a couple tunes, but... Then there is Bono's voice. PopMart was hard for him.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2017, 06:15:44 AM »
I am a massive fan of Pop and Popmart - utterly, utterly brilliant and as time has gone on Pop has overtaken AB as my favourite u2 album...

But the zooropa tour is for me their finest live achievement and most brilliantly executed idea....macphisto elevating an already fantastic creation even further.

Exactly!!

But still voted for Popmart 😜

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Refugee
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 07:36:57 AM »
I really like Pop as an album, but Zoo TV was the better show, with the band in top form. I loved the cockiness of playing 7-8 new songs in a row at the start of the show. That's from back when people had more patience for...everything.

Apparently the band has rated this show in Stockholm as in their top 5 ever, it sure is my favourite of the shows I have seen from 1987 until now. Features only reunion of (50% of) ABBA as far as I'm aware.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:38:55 AM by Neil Young, man! »

Offline Rasmus

• Babyface
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2017, 10:24:31 AM »
ZooTV was much better. Pop was/is an amazing album though.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2017, 02:07:41 PM »
I really like Pop as an album, but Zoo TV was the better show, with the band in top form. I loved the cockiness of playing 7-8 new songs in a row at the start of the show. That's from back when people had more patience for...everything.

The funny thing is, even though I'd discovered U2 before AB was released, those songs were what I WANTED to hear.  It may have been viewed as "challenging" to old fans, but it was catnip to me.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Refugee
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2017, 03:57:46 PM »

The funny thing is, even though I'd discovered U2 before AB was released, those songs were what I WANTED to hear.  It may have been viewed as "challenging" to old fans, but it was catnip to me.
Yes, same here. I came in around 1984 so AB was 'new U2' and challenging. It was just so right and so incredibly good. Will never, ever forget the first time I heard AB, a few days before the original release. We knew this guy in a record store who always slipped us a copy of new stuff when he received it. One thing I remember about the tour is we were blown away that they didn't play SBS. Very daring. Like if they would cut BD now...Now there's a thought.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:59:34 PM by Neil Young, man! »

Offline Doc_Holiday

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2017, 09:50:51 PM »
They are both magnificent... And everyone knows I'm a Pop guy

But ZooTv was just too good. The set up, atmosphere, ambience and overall theme of the tour was super slick, sophisticated and avant garde, at the same time managing not being overdone. They were at the prime of their lives (around 31 to 33 years old, right?), the AB album was a smash hit and they knew they had the world on their feet yet again. This equaled confidence to perform the best they could and courage to not rely on their old warhorses. It was just a magical time and an unbelievable comeback.

I salute you, ZooTv

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2017, 10:08:17 PM »

But ZooTv was just too good. The set up, atmosphere, ambience and overall theme of the tour was super slick, sophisticated and avant garde, at the same time managing not being overdone. They were at the prime of their lives (around 31 to 33 years old, right?), the AB album was a smash hit and they knew they had the world on their feet yet again. This equaled confidence to perform the best they could and courage to not rely on their old warhorses. It was just a magical time and an unbelievable comeback.

I salute you, ZooTv

that's part of it. a large part. they OPENED THE SHOW with SEVEN AB songs. let that sink in. seven. off the brand new album. imagine if they pulled that with Pop. or any post-Pop. place would have CLEARED. but they knew what they had and gave it to us as though those seven songs WERE old warhorses. they nearly performed the WHOLE ALBUM AT EACH SHOW. Minus of course So Cruel and Acrobat.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2017, 12:10:20 AM »

I salute you, ZooTv

that's part of it. a large part. they OPENED THE SHOW with SEVEN AB songs. let that sink in. seven. off the brand new album. imagine if they pulled that with Pop. or any post-Pop. place would have CLEARED. but they knew what they had and gave it to us as though those seven songs WERE old warhorses. they nearly performed the WHOLE ALBUM AT EACH SHOW. Minus of course So Cruel and Acrobat.

This is a good point, what makes it even more impressive is that the Album was not a runaway success at the point of the first few Outside Broadcast shows so it wasn't as if it was going to be a nailed on success.
The dynamic between those songs and the stage set up was unbelievable, but the way they reimagined tracks from TJT (RTSS, BTBS) and R&H (Desire, WLCTT) to fit the theme was equally as impressive.

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2017, 12:51:37 PM »
Both were great tours, but for me, Zoo TV was that bit more special. Likely down to the fact the tour was supporting a superior album.