Author Topic: Understanding the GA line  (Read 2989 times)

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
Understanding the GA line
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:48:32 PM »
I'm so confused. Pretty much every venue says the same thing: no camping. Yet I see the same people every show making a line, (which is just a number on the wrist) and telling people to follow their rules. Then their line becomes the official venues, what the heck! Are the venues agreeing to the the line leaders rules, and if so, why don't they make official statements to let ALL attendees be aware?

These aren't even real lines! They're numbers on the band! Can anyone just make one of these "lines"? What happens if theres e opposing GA lines? This is happening in Santa Clara which declared the line begins 2:00PM day of show as you read this
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:51:56 PM by monopoly »

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Understanding the GA line
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 10:49:30 PM »
An interesting take on the Ga "line"

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline cocamojoe

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 11:41:45 PM »
Camping out for a good GA spot is so unnecessary, that I'm convinced that these types have a few screws loose, and are essentially cultists.

Offline afg

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 08:14:25 AM »
A lot of these venues are opening parking lots at 2:00 PM and also not permitting lining up until that time.  So I don't see how an offsite line system would work when you don't have every GA fan participating in it.   Every fan who shows up by 2:00 will get in line and that's that.  Am I missing something here?

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 08:47:12 AM »
A lot of these venues are opening parking lots at 2:00 PM and also not permitting lining up until that time.  So I don't see how an offsite line system would work when you don't have every GA fan participating in it.   Every fan who shows up by 2:00 will get in line and that's that.  Am I missing something here?

I suppose I'll take this one... with this band usually, a few fans will start an "unofficial" GA line the day before or few days before a show begins, making a list with paper and pen and doing check-in times at least the night before and the morning of a show. When they get to the venue the day of a show, they'll either start lining up there or force people to move to another spot before the "official" time they're allowed to be on the property.

This is in no way official or sanctioned by anyone, but typically people just go along with it to avoid the inevitable bickering and fighting that sometimes results from it. Most of the time, it's successful and security will go along with whatever just to see it through without that much trouble.

Offline afg

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 09:07:27 AM »
Yes, I understand the idea behind this and it's great that fans are trying to keep this organized and fair.  Many fans including myself will not being showing up a day or more in advance of the show.  So I accept the fact that if the venue allows early lineup I will not be near the front of the line.  But if the venue only allows lineup the day of the show  I will show up along with many other fans at the time the venue allows the "official" lining up to begin.  Wherever I end up in the line is where I will stay.  In that situation wouldn't it be easier for all involved to start the numbering system at the time the venue allows the lineup to begin?

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 12:59:30 PM »
Yes, I understand the idea behind this and it's great that fans are trying to keep this organized and fair.  Many fans including myself will not being showing up a day or more in advance of the show.  So I accept the fact that if the venue allows early lineup I will not be near the front of the line.  But if the venue only allows lineup the day of the show  I will show up along with many other fans at the time the venue allows the "official" lining up to begin.  Wherever I end up in the line is where I will stay.  In that situation wouldn't it be easier for all involved to start the numbering system at the time the venue allows the lineup to begin?

And this is the issue with the fan run GA line. It either shouldn't exist at all, or at least not start until the venue allows people to start lining up, but then those who feel they must be at the front every single show wouldn't be able to fix the system and make sure that they, and their friends, are always at the top of the list. No matter what the list holders and their supporters say, it's not fair and doesn't provide a good service to fans (both of which have been said over and over by them to explain why they have their list.) It should be that the very first person at the venue when they allow the line to start should be the first person in line, but sadly, as long as the venues go along with them and other fans refuse to revolt against them, the line list will remain.

Offline afg

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 01:10:07 PM »

And this is the issue with the fan run GA line. It either shouldn't exist at all, or at least not start until the venue allows people to start lining up, but then those who feel they must be at the front every single show wouldn't be able to fix the system and make sure that they, and their friends, are always at the top of the list. No matter what the list holders and their supporters say, it's not fair and doesn't provide a good service to fans (both of which have been said over and over by them to explain why they have their list.) It should be that the very first person at the venue when they allow the line to start should be the first person in line, but sadly, as long as the venues go along with them and other fans refuse to revolt against them, the line list will remain.

So if the venue doesn't allow lining up until 2:00 PM, what will the venue do if a fan not on this "unofficial" list is the first to get to the gate?  In the past, have most of the venues acknowledged this offsite numbering system or just some of them?

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 01:18:13 PM »

So if the venue doesn't allow lining up until 2:00 PM, what will the venue do if a fan not on this "unofficial" list is the first to get to the gate?  In the past, have most of the venues acknowledged this offsite numbering system or just some of them?

I've never participated in the line so I don't know for sure, but from what I've heard the line list leader chats up the security at the GA gate and convinces them that using their list is the best process. Then when the lineup officially starts, first person on the list is the first person in line no matter if someone else is there or not. They've also apparently convinced security to allow them to start moving their line closer to the actual official start and directing anyone new coming up to get to the back of the unofficial line. I believe this doesn't happen at all venues, but again, from what I've heard they at least try to get it be their way and control as best they can of who is at the front.

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 02:02:16 PM »

I've never participated in the line so I don't know for sure, but from what I've heard the line list leader chats up the security at the GA gate and convinces them that using their list is the best process. Then when the lineup officially starts, first person on the list is the first person in line no matter if someone else is there or not. They've also apparently convinced security to allow them to start moving their line closer to the actual official start and directing anyone new coming up to get to the back of the unofficial line. I believe this doesn't happen at all venues, but again, from what I've heard they at least try to get it be their way and control as best they can of who is at the front.

It worked on Levi's stadium. First 275 people in the unofficial line were given wristbands to come back later for the show, while everyone else who shows up to the venue has to wait all day

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 03:10:20 PM »
I queued at 360 in Rome and it was an absolute nightmare, I won't do it ever again.

Having said that Dublin queues were very organised.

Never again though. I'll be heading to twickenham but I won't get there till 2/3 PM after some heavy drinking.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 03:18:38 PM »
You want to queue, you queue. You don't get there for 5 mins, check in, then bugger off for 6 hours.

That's not queuing.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 03:38:24 PM »
I just don't think there's a need to stand in line for hours when there's such a large area for the b-stage.    for the 360 and i.e. shows i went to, everybody got their pick of where they wanted to stand.

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 04:33:40 PM »
So if I was planning on lining up at the Rose Bowl on Saturday night or early Sunday morning for the Sunday show, how would that work? I've seen people lined up that early before at other venues without issue. But I'm curious about this whole "queing" line and all that, since I'm driving from out of state on Saturday. I don't want to show up that early just to be told either to leave or to wait for people who aren't actually there.

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 04:50:53 PM »
So if I was planning on lining up at the Rose Bowl on Saturday night or early Sunday morning for the Sunday show, how would that work? I've seen people lined up that early before at other venues without issue. But I'm curious about this whole "queing" line and all that, since I'm driving from out of state on Saturday. I don't want to show up that early just to be told either to leave or to wait for people who aren't actually there.

All venues have been saying no onsite camping. The rose bowl however also mentioned they don't want people camping on the surrounding streets either. It's been kinda dead since they Rose bowl said they have their own rules they'll release friday