Author Topic: Understanding the GA line  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Kmama07

• Party Girl/Boy
  • She is everywhere and no place
Re: Understanding the GA line
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 01:42:10 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You want to queue, you queue. You don't get there for 5 mins, check in, then bugger off for 6 hours.

That's not queuing.
Agreed. And it's not fair. Got caught in this mess on three different occasions at three different venues. Same people running the lists/in front of the line every time. Didn't matter that we arrived (very) early. Somehow over a hundred people were ahead of us who weren't even in line all day.

Online briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 01:53:36 AM »
Rosebowl said the same in 2009 for 360. In reality, there was a car park meetup the day before which involved wristbands (all run by self appointed organisers). About 7am the next morning people started returning, and sat around the golf club side. A bit of angst around which line was the line...

But then it was such a cluster from about 4pm anyway that people with numbers under 50 on their hands were next to those numbered 400+

Offline afg

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 06:12:04 AM »
It would be great if someone who has been involved in organizing the GA line would share their thoughts on this topic.  I would be interested to know why the numbering system isn't started at the time the venue allows the lineup to begin?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:02:20 AM by afg »

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 10:39:07 AM »
Camping out for a good GA spot is so unnecessary, that I'm convinced that these types have a few screws loose, and are essentially cultists.
+1

Offline weinerdog

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 12:10:16 PM »
It would be great if someone who has been involved in organizing the GA line would share their thoughts on this topic.  I would be interested to know why the numbering system isn't started at the time the venue allows the lineup to begin?

Because that wouldn't be beneficial to the clowns that start these lists in every city.

Offline skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 07:18:54 PM »

They won't deign to talk to us common folk. I'm sure they have their top secret facebook (groups).

Anyway, if the stadium's official lineup started at 2pm, but demand is so great that 1000 people show up at 2pm sharp, who is truly #1 in line?

Offline afg

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 07:59:30 PM »

They won't deign to talk to us common folk. I'm sure they have their top secret facebook (groups).

Anyway, if the stadium's official lineup started at 2pm, but demand is so great that 1000 people show up at 2pm sharp, who is truly #1 in line?

:)  The first one to the gate  :)

Offline d.darroch

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 08:25:17 PM »

Totally agree, there's the problem..... 1000+ by 2pm. Who's #1. First the the gate will just result in a stampede & a riot!

For venues that allow camping, people should have to stay in line. But if venues won't allow it there has to be something to organise the masses that will be there at the official start time of the line. Whether it's an unofficial line (that needs a check-in to keep people away from the venue - at the wish of venue security), or maybe something like Bruce's lottery system (which would mean different people at the front for each show). Either way, you can't just let 1000+ people fight to be first at the gate at 2pm!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:45:05 PM by d.darroch »

Offline joecamp5513

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 08:31:24 PM »
Does this happen on the Red Zone line too? How far in advance to be the one of the first in line?

Offline d.darroch

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 08:41:39 PM »
Used to be that you could get there about an hour before doors opened & be in the first 20-30. But I've heard that people are lining up a bit longer now. Not stupid times like GA, but if you want a good rail spot you may have to be there a bit earlier. Don't quote me on it though. Plus it's dependent on the city, day of the week, the weather, whether your show has crazy line nazis doing RZ etc, etc.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:43:37 PM by d.darroch »

Offline joecamp5513

• Babyface
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 08:51:32 PM »
Used to be that you could get there about an hour before doors opened & be in the first 20-30. But I've heard that people are lining up a bit longer now. Not stupid times like GA, but if you want a good rail spot you may have to be there a bit earlier. Don't quote me on it though. Plus it's dependent on the city, day of the week, the weather, whether your show has crazy line nazis doing RZ etc, etc.

I'll be doing both nights at the Rose Bowl, so I'd imagine the nazis are going to be out. How much is a 'bit earlier' from what you've heard?

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 09:41:25 PM »

I'll be doing both nights at the Rose Bowl, so I'd imagine the nazis are going to be out. How much is a 'bit earlier' from what you've heard?

I've been contacting rose bowl to see if anything has come up. They're very insistent on no outside GA lines and are prohibiting any forms of lines/fans in the surrounding area in addition to stadium property. Rose Bowl staff has actually been very friendly and communicative, last spoke to them a few hours ago. They said they have a strict specific policy they will release tomorrow for GA

Offline joecamp5513

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 10:09:54 PM »

I've been contacting rose bowl to see if anything has come up. They're very insistent on no outside GA lines and are prohibiting any forms of lines/fans in the surrounding area in addition to stadium property. Rose Bowl staff has actually been very friendly and communicative, last spoke to them a few hours ago. They said they have a strict specific policy they will release tomorrow for GA

Will this be the same for Red Zone? That's where I'll be lining up.

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 10:11:12 PM »

Will this be the same for Red Zone? That's where I'll be lining up.

Redzone was emailed different instructions. Follow the email you got. Not really a need to line up any more than an hour or two for redzone, and that'll put you in the first few

Offline d.darroch

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 10:19:52 PM »

Well someone on the Zoo forums said Vancouver had around 15-20 people in the RZ line by 9am. First show of the tour, so maybe it won't be that bad. But if you really want to be "first" for some reason, then you may be lining up for a pretty long time. But I'd hope you'd get a good rail spot by joining the line in the early afternoon.

Where are you planning on standing? Looks good up near the b-stage, though I wouldn't go all the way up to the end of RZ at the b-stage, as there's a boom camera that may impact your views at times. I'd probably aim for the junction of the catwalk & b-stage if I got the chance. Though the band will be facing away from you for much of their time on the b-stage.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

As for GA, in '09 Rosebowl security said no camping, come back at 7am on show day. So that's what we did. Only to find they'd let other people camp & start a line. If that wasn't bad enough, instead of proper metal barricades they used tape to separate parts of the line. Resulting in a stampede that could have killed people.

Hope they've learnt from the experience. Maybe that's why they're appearing to be even stricter this time around.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:35:29 PM by d.darroch »