Author Topic: TJT Heads to SA- what does this mean for SOE?  (Read 4816 times)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • A-B-C, easy as 1-2-3
Re: TJT Heads to SA- what does this mean for SOE?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 05:05:06 PM »
SOE out next March is my guess.

NA and Euro audiences are gonna get shown up big time. If there's a tour video, hopefully it gets shot down there. The U23D audiences were f-n nuts.
   :D

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2017, 06:00:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The cynic in me says that the band will always fly by the seat of their collective pants, and any excuse to postpone a new album and tour -- and thereby open themselves up to criticism and charges of creative bankruptcy -- will be welcomed and acted upon.

I mean, a (very average) song honoring Nelson Mandela caused them to postpone SOI for half a year or whatever it was? Psssssh.

No, no. See, they're burning up with ideas. They've got like 5 albums worth of songs and THIS TIME they are totally going to do a quick turn around and be right out with a new one. Sure, they said that last time, and the time before that, and the time before that, and....but THIS TIME it's for real.  Except that instead of touring all of those songs that were just about finished from SOI a few years ago, they're touring an album from 1987. 

Everyone...I love this band like no other band in the world, but why would anyone believe the "We've got another album coming out soon right after this one" line at this point? If anything, you should take that as confirmation that it is coming in five years.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 07:05:38 PM »
As much as I love this band, this is typical bull$hit - and it's getting old, literally.  If it doesn't come out this year, it's not coming out at all.  They've been pulling this for the past decade: the abandoned Rick Rubin sessions, the dance album, the SOA, "we have over 50 songs completed", the Jimmy Fallon spectacle, etc, etc, etc, etc.  And astonishingly, people buy the bull$hit (literally) and hold out hope they'll do as they say.  The real genius defining the narrative of their legacy isn't their music; but rather how they convince the fan base the sand they're drinking is water - and it's growing pathetic.  It's snake oil business.  Wise up.
At this point, The Stones hold more integrity remaining true to themselves and their fan base by never making any bones they're only hanging around for another paycheck.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:05:48 PM by achtung child »

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 09:43:27 PM »
Cant be a new album next year as it is the 30th anniversary of Rattle and Hum, the movie. Am sure they wouldn't miss the opportunity to re-release that, perhaps combining video from the original with the current JT tour. It is a musical journey afterall. Perhaps make a movie about making the movie and release that.

- sarcasm button now switching to off.

Offline KenKaniff

• Babyface
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 09:59:09 PM »
I don't see U2 touring US/Europe for a long time after TJT30 tour.

If the I+E tour picks up again soon after this tour ends, I'd imagine they would start with other areas of the globe before they come back to US/Europe. Areas they haven't been to in a while, before coming back to US/Europe, to prevent exhaustion of these markets.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 10:06:03 PM »
My thoughts are that JT will bring them a lot more $ then touring SOE right now. Keep milking the cow. They'll push SOE to 2018.

Unfortunately I think this is what will happen. This is why I didn't initially understand why Australians and South Americans were bummed about not getting TJT tour. That would just delay SOE even more. But now it looks like TJT is coming to South America.

The band will be excited though since they didn't get to take the original JT tour to SA.

Offline Zoomerang77

• Stateless
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2017, 10:06:16 PM »
I think everyone needs to take a breath for a second here!  What do we have?  An alleged comment from The Edge when asked about future South American shows, where he says "They're going to be amazing." 

U2 are currently touring US/Europe for a long-ago-announced TJT30 anniversary tour.  The best mail we seem to have at the moment is that the band plan to release SOE later this year following the conclusion of the tour.  A tour on which we have the band closing with a new song all but confirmed by Bono as being from SOE, concluding with a photograph widely expected to be the SOE cover.  Those are actions strongly pointing towards an SOE release later this year as expected.  Edge could well have been speaking in relation to the presumed world tour we'd expect to see following release of SOE.

Offline Zoomerang77

• Stateless
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2017, 10:14:35 PM »
As much as I love this band, this is typical bull$hit - and it's getting old, literally.  If it doesn't come out this year, it's not coming out at all.  They've been pulling this for the past decade: the abandoned Rick Rubin sessions, the dance album, the SOA, "we have over 50 songs completed", the Jimmy Fallon spectacle, etc, etc, etc, etc.  And astonishingly, people buy the bull$hit (literally) and hold out hope they'll do as they say.  The real genius defining the narrative of their legacy isn't their music; but rather how they convince the fan base the sand they're drinking is water - and it's growing pathetic.  It's snake oil business.  Wise up.
At this point, The Stones hold more integrity remaining true to themselves and their fan base by never making any bones they're only hanging around for another paycheck.

Let me apologise in lieu of the band for them missing the 5 nights on Jimmy Fallon.  Bono really did go to extraordinary lengths to contrive an excuse for missing that promised appearance - though one must admire the courage and commitment that saw him throw himself over his handlebars at speed shattering limb and face.

For me I'm pretty happy for U2 to release what they want, when they want. 

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2017, 10:19:04 PM »

Let me apologise in lieu of the band for them missing the 5 nights on Jimmy Fallon.  Bono really did go to extraordinary lengths to contrive an excuse for missing that promised appearance - though one must admire the courage and commitment that saw him throw himself over his handlebars at speed shattering limb and face.

For me I'm pretty happy for U2 to release what they want, when they want. 

True.  I was referring to the Jimmy Fallon spectacle at the beginning of 2014 when they shouted from a mountaintop (literally) about the new album.  Granted they released it at the end of the year, it still follows the pattern.  And yes, you are correct, given the horrendous accident with Bono it is lucky they are still functioning.  However it does not discount they have been baiting and switching almost every step of the way for nearly a decade now.  That is fact and it's rightfully frustrating to a lot of people.

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2017, 11:54:02 PM »
South American tour in October can only mean Australian tour in Nov Dec.
Will it be I&E or TJT??

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2017, 12:07:50 AM »
Well the last show just ended with B saying they've got a new album. SOE is 100% confirmed atm.

I think The Edge's words might be taken out of context. Of course the south america shows will be amazing, they always are. Hopefully this means they'll finish the JT tour and keep the momentum going with a new album, new tour later this year. That in my mind is the absolute best scenario.

Offline JFW

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2017, 12:09:29 AM »
Sometimes I wished they're more like Bob Dylan. He produces loads of album. Some are good, some are less good. But he releases it. Even the outtakes

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2017, 12:57:06 AM »
For a band who average an album about every 4 years every over the last 20 - their last album was not even 3 years ago....no nees for 'panic' yet.

There has been way too much noise from them about the next album - comments about songs, it being nearly done (even playing a song off it on their current tour) the whole thing is for my money far enough down the track to be happening soon enough. It will be out by next spring IMO.

I honestly don't see any need to worry about the next album landing well inside their 'usual' timescale in recent times - if it comes sooner then that is a bonus.

In the meantime there are live shows happening from them and loads and loads of great new music out there to listen to as well!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:01:07 AM by an tha »

Offline Waiting for this moment

• Wanderer
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2017, 03:19:37 AM »
SA....South Armagh?  ;)

Offline jrodr079

• Refugee
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2017, 03:44:07 AM »
I don't see U2 touring US/Europe for a long time after TJT30 tour.

If the I+E tour picks up again soon after this tour ends, I'd imagine they would start with other areas of the globe before they come back to US/Europe. Areas they haven't been to in a while, before coming back to US/Europe, to prevent exhaustion of these markets.

Been saying this for a while in this forum. For some reason, its not many who share the opinion. Everyone is just convinced i+e will resume happily and jouously next year like Joshua Tree never happened.

I guess many people didnt see i+e , which in my opinion was the perfect tour (size/intimacy/performance) and wish they have another opportunity?