Author Topic: TJT Heads to SA- what does this mean for SOE?  (Read 5050 times)

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
Re: TJT Heads to SA- what does this mean for SOE?
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2017, 05:27:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Cant be a new album next year as it is the 30th anniversary of Rattle and Hum, the movie. Am sure they wouldn't miss the opportunity to re-release that, perhaps combining video from the original with the current JT tour. It is a musical journey afterall. Perhaps make a movie about making the movie and release that.

- sarcasm button now switching to off.

You joke, but...

I look forward to an AIWIY 2018 remix, with vocals partially recorded and without the string section, which would obviously need removing/turning down.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2017, 05:44:39 PM »
I do think all the signs are there that this album isn't quite done yet. At least not in the state they would like it to be.

The Irish times quote suggesting 2018 release likely. Extra JT dates and who knows maybe more to come. Plus 'the little things' was chosen to debut to plug soe... was that really their best offering to showcase? 

Expectations are slowly being set for a further delay in my opinion.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2017, 07:55:42 PM »
Hold your ti*s, everyone. Even if U2 did expand down to Latin America, judging by their three tours that have made it down there (PopMart, Vertigo, and 360), it's doubtful that they'd even play as many as 10 shows. Seriously, go and look up their tour dates for those three tours.

I think when the Columbus date last year was released, everyone had this idea that tour would continue in the fall of 17. The JT dates lined up perfectly for Bono to take his vacation in France in August, release SOE in September then tour in October.

Yeah, that Columbus leak certainly didn't do U2 any favors.

:( 
I live less than an hour from Columbus.  I was so excited when I saw that leak!
Oh well, at least I only have to drive to Cleveland this time!  Can't funking wait!  And then maybe if they do the SOE tour in 2018-19, they'll make good on that Columbus date too!  I can only hope so!

However, I believe they shouldn't return to the US until they play South America/Mexico, Australia/NZ, Japan and other asian countries, and large swaths of Europe that haven't had shows since 360.  I'd honestly be a very happy fan if they release SOE in early 2018 and tour the rest of the world, and then make it back to the US again in 2019 perhaps. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:57:49 PM by podiumboy »

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2017, 08:41:56 PM »
just listened to The Little Things in Santa Clara, and Bono said "We've got a new album, this is a song that's on it, and we're just warming up"

I doubt he would say that if they're thinking of delaying SOE. 

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2017, 09:17:40 PM »
I do think all the signs are there that this album isn't quite done yet. At least not in the state they would like it to be.

The Irish times quote suggesting 2018 release likely. Extra JT dates and who knows maybe more to come. Plus 'the little things' was chosen to debut to plug soe... was that really their best offering to showcase? 

It just seems really, really unlikely that this album is done, and they're touring something else. That would have to be a first, no?

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2017, 11:09:54 AM »
The band did announce SOE on their Christmas 2016 video to fans as well as announcing the JT shows (the album release came across more clearly than the JT tour).  And Bono is plugging the new album at the end of the JT shows, so I do actually believe him that SOE is coming before 31 December.  It may actually be on 31 December at the rate that we've all gotten used to - but still it will happen this year (or Bono will have to eat his (cowboy) hat).

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2017, 12:27:34 PM »

They're prolonging this nostalgia tour instead of pushing on with SOE ?
I just hope the new album delivers.

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2017, 01:16:23 PM »
The band did announce SOE on their Christmas 2016 video to fans as well as announcing the JT shows (the album release came across more clearly than the JT tour).  And Bono is plugging the new album at the end of the JT shows, so I do actually believe him that SOE is coming before 31 December.  It may actually be on 31 December at the rate that we've all gotten used to - but still it will happen this year (or Bono will have to eat his (cowboy) hat).

If Bono says something in a short homemade video, then doesn't keep to the committment, I doubt he's bothered.

The band can just blame Trump or say things have changed, such as TJT gravy train keeps on giving.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2017, 01:30:03 PM »

I really hope that some day we get a good insiders' view of what happens in these situations. How many times have we been told an album was done or almost done when it wasn't? Or told it was almost ready, and then it gets completely scrapped? I'd love to hear what it is that we are missing. The "You talkin' U2 to me" podcast guys seemed super hyped-up about the stuff that they heard, but by the time we get this album, that material will be what, 3-5 years old, and who knows if it will even be around?

There have to be some pretty major rows over this happening again and again and again.  Maybe some day when they are done we'll even get to hear all of the stuff they didn't release, and spend the rest of our lives screaming "WHY DID THEY SCRAP THIS??!!!".  Or maybe that material is just really, really bad. 

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »

What a pity there wasn't a 2016 release.

TJT gravy train is delaying things, rather than Trump. The fans can't really complain as we are the ones buying the tickets.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2017, 01:44:26 PM »

Something I haven't seen much talk about is not WHEN the album will be released, but HOW.  Think about it: It's simply a fact that the next album they put out will have absolutely dismal sales by the standards of the average U2 album. But at the same time, a large amount of the data that goes into their average album sales is from the pre-internet record industry era, which is not even close to an apples-to-apples comparison (no itunes pun intended). They would have faced this last time, but the free itunes release made it impossible to make any meaningful comparison at all, and that was no accident.  Then of course, there was the negative publicity of the whole "Waahhh I got a free album I didn't order" debacle. 

Those two factors are going to be taken into account with this release.  I don't know what they're going to do, but they are probably going to want to do some kind of free relase again, or face headlines of what a "flop" it is.  I'm not suggesting that could happen, I'm saying it is A CERTAINTY that the album is going to be portrayed as a failure if it is put up for regular sale, because the numbers it generates will be extremely low.  Guitar rock bands are not the thing anymore. And certainly not the umpteenth album from guys about to hit 60. 

It does not matter how good or bad the songs are; this album is not going to do well by their sales standards, and the media is going to savage them over it. Their management was not born yesterday, and I'd find it hard to believe that they don't see this coming. They're going to have to do some form of giveaway that doesn't have all of the backlash of the last one. Maybe get a code at U2.com and enter it into itunes; something like that. And it's not hard to spin that move: "We've decided to embrace the possibilities of the digital age. For us, music has always been about connecting with people. We never wanted to be an obscure band preaching to the converted, and we are blessed to be in a position where we can give this away.  Live is where we live. If you like what you hear, come see us on the We've Got New Songs Too tour in 2019".  Something like that. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:48:48 PM by This Dave »

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2017, 01:46:53 PM »

TJT gravy train is delaying things, rather than Trump. The fans can't really complain as we are the ones buying the tickets.

Well, I'm not.  I found the whole idea of it to be lame in concept, and haven't had that debunked by what I've heard so far.

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2017, 02:00:57 PM »
Maybe the album is finished.

The problem is releasing SOE in 2016 or early 2017 means they would have to tour & promote it throughout 2017 Meaning they couldn't tour TJT in it's 30th anniversary year.

In other words the delay is nothing to do with Trump.

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »

Well, I'm not.  I found the whole idea of it to be lame in concept, and haven't had that debunked by what I've heard so far.

I'm not either. I am a fan for the music.

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2017, 11:05:23 AM »

Something I haven't seen much talk about is not WHEN the album will be released, but HOW.  Think about it: It's simply a fact that the next album they put out will have absolutely dismal sales by the standards of the average U2 album. But at the same time, a large amount of the data that goes into their average album sales is from the pre-internet record industry era, which is not even close to an apples-to-apples comparison (no itunes pun intended). They would have faced this last time, but the free itunes release made it impossible to make any meaningful comparison at all, and that was no accident.  Then of course, there was the negative publicity of the whole "Waahhh I got a free album I didn't order" debacle. 

Those two factors are going to be taken into account with this release.  I don't know what they're going to do, but they are probably going to want to do some kind of free relase again, or face headlines of what a "flop" it is.  I'm not suggesting that could happen, I'm saying it is A CERTAINTY that the album is going to be portrayed as a failure if it is put up for regular sale, because the numbers it generates will be extremely low.  Guitar rock bands are not the thing anymore. And certainly not the umpteenth album from guys about to hit 60. 

It does not matter how good or bad the songs are; this album is not going to do well by their sales standards, and the media is going to savage them over it. Their management was not born yesterday, and I'd find it hard to believe that they don't see this coming. They're going to have to do some form of giveaway that doesn't have all of the backlash of the last one. Maybe get a code at U2.com and enter it into itunes; something like that. And it's not hard to spin that move: "We've decided to embrace the possibilities of the digital age. For us, music has always been about connecting with people. We never wanted to be an obscure band preaching to the converted, and we are blessed to be in a position where we can give this away.  Live is where we live. If you like what you hear, come see us on the We've Got New Songs Too tour in 2019".  Something like that.

Funny you should say that ThisDave. I found a Spotify centrepiece ad in a magazine today looking at pre-digital and digital sales of songs from the 70's and 90's.

Back in the actual 70's the biggest selling songs were (in the UK) stuff like Grease soundtracks and disco.  Only Bohemian Rhapsody is in the 70's top 10. Now the biggest selling downloads from the 70's are guitar tracks from the likes of AC/DC, Boston, Lynyrd Skynyrd - also Queen.

As for the '90's over here in the UK, people were buying ballads featured on soundtracks such as Love is All Around by Wet Wet Wet or Bryan Adam's Everything I Do.  But now Spotify are saying their best selling downloads include tracks from Chilli Peppers, Nirvana, Radiohead and Green Day.

U2 should release a digital download of the new album again - but maybe not quite in the same way as last time.  I just don't know how it would sell in normal circumstances as not all commercial radio stations play U2 to push the listener in the direction of a download (unlike Ed Sheeran, Chainsmokers, etc). 

Or maybe TJT 2017 is a ploy by the band and management to remind people just how stratospheric the band were in the 80's and that the new album really is good.  No, it's going to be great.  They are using this as a way to remind people that they are still up there and still are a great band when people are re-discovering AC/DC, Chilli Peppers, Iron Maiden (have seen IM t-shirts while out and about today).  Whilst the Stones, Nirvana, Queen have never really gone away, U2 would do well to keep reminding people their line-up has never altered in over 40 years, which is just one thing that sets them apart.