Which would you prefer?

New Album but no more touring
24 (63.2%)
Touring only and no more new music
12 (31.6%)
Call it quits
2 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: New Music or Tour Only after TJT30  (Read 826 times)

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
New Music or Tour Only after TJT30
« on: May 17, 2017, 11:59:29 AM »
The boys seem to be at some sort of turning point or are just continuing the turn to 360.  Anyway, which would you prefer to see once TJT30 is done?  I know the vast majority would pick new music and touring, so I did not include that as part of the poll.

I think ultimately I would pick new music only given this choice.  I think they could do this for much longer then just being a touring act (Regardless of what the Stones or Who do)  This may free them up to be a bit more carefree and adventurous, but who knows.  In the end, they have earned the right to do whatever the hell they wish.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: New Music or Tour Only after TJT30
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 12:02:30 PM »
I selfishly chose touring, only because I haven't gotten to see them enough. But, if you ask me when I'm not being selfish...more new music...always more.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 12:04:02 PM »
For those of us who wish U2 would innovate more, a new-music-without-touring approach would be the most likely way to see this. Without the pressure of hit singles translating into sold-out venues, we'd get more SLABT and Being Born and less SFS and Crazy Tonight.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 12:11:35 PM »
yea i've been ready for them to stop touring and just release albums for years now.

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 01:54:35 PM »
Why can't they do both, apparently SOE is finished so release it in Sept, then tour South America, but if I had to choose... new album please

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »
I've never had the privilege of seeing a U2 show myself, and while I would love to see them perform at least once in my lifetime, I chose the the first option. U2 don't have anything to prove regarding their touring capabilities... they've not one time failed to pull off a tour. If U2 want to be respected creatively and artistically by this generation, then at least one more successful album released in the autumn of their career would go a long way.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 03:24:45 PM »
But, they DO love to play to a live audience...I don't know...as usual, I feel strongly both ways.

monopoly

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 04:19:37 PM »
The majority don't buy albums now. They stream them. U2 knows that. They also recognize tours is where they live. There's no point in making new music if it's not being toured, income wise. I can see the Achtung Baby tour in a few years.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 05:29:48 PM »
I want both U2 are much better live so album and tour for me. I just love seeing them live the music comes alive.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 05:31:53 PM by mariamontreal »

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • welp, looks like I'm not making it to 10k posts
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »
couldn't vote for "none of the above", so I didn't vote.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 08:29:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Why can't they do both, apparently SOE is finished so release it in Sept, then tour South America, but if I had to choose... new album please

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

the argument being if they know they're touring they're gonna aim for a big hit single, which seems to be out of their reach at this point in their careers and can come off as embarassing. no tour COULD mean a stellar album.

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 08:34:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The majority don't buy albums now. They stream them. U2 knows that. They also recognize tours is where they live. There's no point in making new music if it's not being toured, income wise. I can see the Achtung Baby tour in a few years.
yes, please!

Offline Chargedvt

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 10:27:38 PM »
There will probably be future tours but I am expecting SOE might be the final album. It's taking longer and longer to finish albums and they may not be around in 6 or 7 years. It's taking 3 years just to get from "70%" to the finish line for SOE.
And didn't Adam say at the 40th anniversary that their approach to recording won't be as "full on" after this album? So definitely more live shows and (shorter) tours. Albums are a maybe.

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 10:42:06 AM »
I'd choose album and touring if the option was there. But U2 are a live band at heart so I would gladly choose to see them perform at a sacrifice for no more new material

Offline teacher_mommy_u2fan

• Stateless
  • Dreaming Out Loud
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 03:43:34 PM »
None of the above. I want them to keep touring and making new music. I just saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and they still can blow the roof off an arena. There's no reason U2 cannot do the same into their 60s, if they so choose.