Author Topic: Chris Cornell. 1964 - 2017. RIP  (Read 1157 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
Re: Chris Cornell. 1964 - 2017. RIP
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 11:48:33 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Unreal. He just played here in Detroit last night.
I was at this show. He put on one heck of a show, seemed happy to be there, was interacting a lot with the crowd etc. Still can't believe this news. RIP.

I had thought about driving down to Detroit. I saw SG at the Fillmore before, it just goes to show how fleeting life can be. What else can you tell us about the show?

They played a 19 song set (a little longer than they've been playing) that was over 2 hours long. Chris seemed to be in good spirits--he was constantly high fiving people in the pit, joking around a bit, sounded pretty good too. I did hear some fans complaining about the show afterwards, that they thought the band didn't seem into it, that they thought Chris lip synced (I saw no sign of this), that the guitarist looked high etc. These fans also seemed a bit drunk...so maybe they were wrong. I was up in the stands, but didn't see any issues with Chris' performance.

What's so eerie is they did "Slaves & Bulldozers" for the last encore song and snippeted the Zeppelin song "In My Time Of Dying". Considering the rumors that he committed suicide...makes it even more unsettling that they ended with that song and snippet.

I'm not sure if this was part of the show, but at the very end one of the amps/speakers got tipped over and appeared to be smoking. We thought it was a little odd and not sure who tipped it over, whether it was accidentally or on purpose.

I took a lot of photos of the show which I'm rushing to edit on Lightroom. In the meantime, here's a few I took with my phone:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The venue before the openers took stage:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Chris was constantly doing this last night:

Still in shock. My niece (who accompanied me to the concert) is totally gutted. We talked before and after the show how we couldn't wait to see Chris the next time he toured solo. To think we saw the last show and that he won't be touring ever again...I'm still in disbelief.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 12:08:02 PM »
I don't know that much about chris cornell or soundgarden, but as the creator of the magnificent 'black eyed sun', I say thanks to him and his band, and RIP.

Black Hole Sun.

Can't say i was the biggest fan but i did appreciate the Superunknown album and the singles that followed. Saw them with NIN and recognize he was a huge voice in the Big 4 of alt-rock. Listened to the best of 2 times today. Such a shame when anyone kills themselves.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 12:53:15 PM »
I was at this show. He put on one heck of a show, seemed happy to be there, was interacting a lot with the crowd etc. Still can't believe this news. RIP.

I had thought about driving down to Detroit. I saw SG at the Fillmore before, it just goes to show how fleeting life can be. What else can you tell us about the show?

They played a 19 song set (a little longer than they've been playing) that was over 2 hours long. Chris seemed to be in good spirits--he was constantly high fiving people in the pit, joking around a bit, sounded pretty good too. I did hear some fans complaining about the show afterwards, that they thought the band didn't seem into it, that they thought Chris lip synced (I saw no sign of this), that the guitarist looked high etc. These fans also seemed a bit drunk...so maybe they were wrong. I was up in the stands, but didn't see any issues with Chris' performance.

What's so eerie is they did "Slaves & Bulldozers" for the last encore song and snippeted the Zeppelin song "In My Time Of Dying". Considering the rumors that he committed suicide...makes it even more unsettling that they ended with that song and snippet.

I'm not sure if this was part of the show, but at the very end one of the amps/speakers got tipped over and appeared to be smoking. We thought it was a little odd and not sure who tipped it over, whether it was accidentally or on purpose.

I took a lot of photos of the show which I'm rushing to edit on Lightroom. In the meantime, here's a few I took with my phone:

Still in shock. My niece (who accompanied me to the concert) is totally gutted. We talked before and after the show how we couldn't wait to see Chris the next time he toured solo. To think we saw the last show and that he won't be touring ever again...I'm still in disbelief.
heart breaking glad you got to see the show though

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 01:43:40 PM »
Can't believe it, seen him a few times by himself and with Audioslave. Such a talented fella. Just goes to show you never know what someone is thinking or feeling at any given time. Totally down all day since i found out. Another great talent that's left the world :(

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 01:53:26 PM »

We're all in shock and I can't imagine how much more unsettling and upsetting it must be for someone who saw him perform just hours before this happened.  Thanks for sharing these photos.  It seems so strange that someone could commit suicide after a well-received concert.  Our thoughts are with you, tiger, and all others affected by this terribly tragic event.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »
It must be devastating for the band too. They have invested their entire lives in each other.

Online skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 04:19:21 PM »
Very sad. I liked Cornell's song for a recent James Bond movie. Song was called "You Know My Name".

I'm sure U2 will pay tribute to Cornell this weekend at the LA shows, even though they have (probably) never met.

Didn't know Cornell/audioslave had a ~30 year career. Now that coroner has ruled cause of death, it's scary... U2 are all in good spirits. Adam did his "Walk in My Shoes" campaign for mental health in Ireland.

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 04:28:16 PM »
I am still in shock at this news. I'm completely gutted. Chris has been one of my musical idols for donkey's years. He had the most incredible voice. I love his work with Soundgarden, Audioslave, Temple Of The Dog and especially his solo work, his album Euphoria Morning being one of my all-time favourite albums by any artist. I sadly only ever got to see him live once, with Audioslave in Cardiff in 2005. I never got the chance to see Soundgarden. A couple of years ago he did another solo tour and he played in Bristol, which isn't too far from me. Sadly, for me, by the time I found out about the concert it had completely sold out! I was so upset. The only tickets left were on re-sale sites for hundreds of pounds and I just couldn't afford it. Then a while back I learnt he was going to be touring again with the re-formed Soundgarden. I was so hoping to see them but was disappointed when they only announced US dates. I kept hoping they were going to announce some UK dates (and maybe they would have done, I don't know) but now it's sadly not to be. I'm glad I at least got to see Chris once but I so wanted to see him solo or with Soundgarden too. I still can't believe what's happened. He always seemed to be one of the great survivors! For him to have hanged himself, one can only imagine the pain he must have been in. RIP dear Chris. :(

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 04:34:58 PM »

I can imagine the shock for you. To have seen him only a few hours ago and then learn that he has died! What on earth must have been going through his mind during that show? Adding that bit of the Led Zeppelin song into the final number, it seems too eerie! What a loss. I would love to see your photos from last night, if you're willing to share them. I still can't believe it. Poor Chris. RIP. :(

Offline u2live

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 05:29:13 PM »
Bono and Chris were at an AIDS benefit I believe in L.A. about 4 years ago chatting

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 05:36:24 PM »
Bono and Chris were at an AIDS benefit I believe in L.A. about 4 years ago chatting

Much like Eddie Vedder Chris was a big U2 fan.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 06:35:39 PM »

Much like Eddie Vedder Chris was a big U2 fan.

this is a very well done mash up of U2 and Metallica's One.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:37:19 PM by THRILLHO »

Offline noelle510

• Stateless
  • Anytime you're on the earth...is kissing time
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 06:41:02 PM »

Suicide.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 07:26:22 PM »
Very sad. I liked Cornell's song for a recent James Bond movie. Song was called "You Know My Name".

I'm sure U2 will pay tribute to Cornell this weekend at the LA shows, even though they have (probably) never met.

Didn't know Cornell/audioslave had a ~30 year career. Now that coroner has ruled cause of death, it's scary... U2 are all in good spirits. Adam did his "Walk in My Shoes" campaign for mental health in Ireland.
Nope they have met! I've seen I picture of Bono and Chris some where.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 07:28:12 PM »
Ah yes this is where the picture is from.  I bet Bono and Chris had a lot in common they have written about similar subjects.