Author Topic: Chris Cornell. 1964 - 2017. RIP  (Read 1459 times)

Offline JonD

• Stateless
Re: Chris Cornell. 1964 - 2017. RIP
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 08:00:43 PM »
I am at a loss of words but must write something. Thank you for the music. Thank you for sharing your voice.  You were a big part of the soundtrack of my life.  You will be missed by so many. Rest in peace Chris Cornell.

Jon

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 08:03:39 PM »
So sorry to hear this.  Chris had a unique and incredible voice.  Tiger, I'm sorry you had to experience this. Sending prayers for Chris and his family.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2017, 09:47:20 PM »
Man, have Superunknown on random and listened to "The Day I Trired To Live," and was moved.  Then the next next song was "Just Like Suicide."  Wheepers Goodness...

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 10:13:38 PM »
yea his lyrics were VERY death-centric. part of the reason i didn't really grab onto them. my favorite song of theirs is Spoonman. such a funky fun song with a great rhythm. i can't help put slap my leg or desk or steering wheel to those drums.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 06:33:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Man, have Superunknown on random and listened to "The Day I Trired To Live," and was moved.  Then the next next song was "Just Like Suicide."  Wheepers Goodness...

Boot Camp from DOTU is really haunting too.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 11:24:36 AM »
RIP. Not into Soundgarden but he did write one of my fave Bond songs

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 11:26:23 AM »
They played a 19 song set (a little longer than they've been playing) that was over 2 hours long. Chris seemed to be in good spirits--he was constantly high fiving people in the pit, joking around a bit, sounded pretty good too. I did hear some fans complaining about the show afterwards, that they thought the band didn't seem into it, that they thought Chris lip synced (I saw no sign of this), that the guitarist looked high etc. These fans also seemed a bit drunk...so maybe they were wrong. I was up in the stands, but didn't see any issues with Chris' performance.

What's so eerie is they did "Slaves & Bulldozers" for the last encore song and snippeted the Zeppelin song "In My Time Of Dying". Considering the rumors that he committed suicide...makes it even more unsettling that they ended with that song and snippet.

I'm not sure if this was part of the show, but at the very end one of the amps/speakers got tipped over and appeared to be smoking. We thought it was a little odd and not sure who tipped it over, whether it was accidentally or on purpose.

I took a lot of photos of the show which I'm rushing to edit on Lightroom. In the meantime, here's a few I took with my phone:

The venue before the openers took stage:

Chris was constantly doing this last night:

Still in shock. My niece (who accompanied me to the concert) is totally gutted. We talked before and after the show how we couldn't wait to see Chris the next time he toured solo. To think we saw the last show and that he won't be touring ever again...I'm still in disbelief.

Thanks for sharing that. A person on USA Today wrote about the show and made it sound like things were quite a bit off that night. But I wondered if it was just one of those things where something happens and you overthink many little things from whatever happened beforehand?

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2017, 01:27:17 PM »

Thanks for sharing that. A person on USA Today wrote about the show and made it sound like things were quite a bit off that night. But I wondered if it was just one of those things where something happens and you overthink many little things from whatever happened beforehand?

No, I would totally disagree with that article. Did he sound exactly like on the records? Of course not, but I chalked that up to those songs being hard to sing live (given the quick changes from low to screaming). He did not stumble around on stage, he spoke clearly in between songs and sung clearly from what I could tell. He was constantly moving around the stage, often going to the very front and reaching over to high five fans/grab their hands. I would think, if he was really that impaired at concert time, that he would've fallen over or stumbled. I saw no hint of that whatsoever. He also played guitar on many songs and seemed to do that with ease.

I think some fans may be reading into that last performance more than they should, trying to think of "signs" that they might've seen during the concert. He seemed totally normal and happy to be there. That's why, when I heard suicide, I did not think it added up. Nothing in his behavior indicated he would kill himself less than an hour later.

Now they're saying he might have taken too many Ativans, but even then the reported timing seems odd. The police report stated his security guard was in his hotel room at 11:35pm (mind you, this is just 20 minutes after the encore ended) helping Chris with his computer. His security guard gave Chris two Ativan pills and left. Then Chris spoke with his wife around that same time and she said he was slurring his words....30 minutes later, the security guard checked on Chris and he was gone. A medic was called but she didn't come until 12:45am, then paramedics arrived close to 1am and a doctor pronounced him dead around 1:20am.

Ativan is quick acting, but it still typically takes at least 20 minutes to work. If the timeline is to be believed, he was slurring his words less than 5 minutes after taking the Ativan, and he killed himself less than 20 minutes after that. I'm wondering, perhaps, if he took an Ativan shortly before the show, maybe somehow that made the subsequent doses take effect quicker? And also, why was there a 30 minute gap between the time the guard found him and the time medics arrived? Something isn't adding up.

We're all in shock and I can't imagine how much more unsettling and upsetting it must be for someone who saw him perform just hours before this happened.  Thanks for sharing these photos.  It seems so strange that someone could commit suicide after a well-received concert.  Our thoughts are with you, tiger, and all others affected by this terribly tragic event.

Yeah, it's just weird. I was obviously saddened by many of the musician deaths over the last 1.5 years, but this one is the first to really hit me on a personal level. I got into Soundgarden, Audioslave, and Chris Cornell's solo music in my late teens and his music really touched me and helped me through many tough times as I transitioned from adolescence to adulthood. Although I haven't listened to him much in recent years (as my musical tastes shifted) this still hits hard and is compounded by the fact that I witnessed his last concert ever. And it was such a good show. I guess now I know how those who were at Prince's final concert felt. It's heartbreaking and so very very very unexpected.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2017, 01:36:20 PM »
That USA Today article is total hogwash.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2017, 01:43:06 PM »
No, I would totally disagree with that article. Did he sound exactly like on the records? Of course not, but I chalked that up to those songs being hard to sing live (given the quick changes from low to screaming). He did not stumble around on stage, he spoke clearly in between songs and sung clearly from what I could tell. He was constantly moving around the stage, often going to the very front and reaching over to high five fans/grab their hands. I would think, if he was really that impaired at concert time, that he would've fallen over or stumbled. I saw no hint of that whatsoever. He also played guitar on many songs and seemed to do that with ease.

I think some fans may be reading into that last performance more than they should, trying to think of "signs" that they might've seen during the concert. He seemed totally normal and happy to be there. That's why, when I heard suicide, I did not think it added up. Nothing in his behavior indicated he would kill himself less than an hour later.

Now they're saying he might have taken too many Ativans, but even then the reported timing seems odd. The police report stated his security guard was in his hotel room at 11:35pm (mind you, this is just 20 minutes after the encore ended) helping Chris with his computer. His security guard gave Chris two Ativan pills and left. Then Chris spoke with his wife around that same time and she said he was slurring his words....30 minutes later, the security guard checked on Chris and he was gone. A medic was called but she didn't come until 12:45am, then paramedics arrived close to 1am and a doctor pronounced him dead around 1:20am.

Ativan is quick acting, but it still typically takes at least 20 minutes to work. If the timeline is to be believed, he was slurring his words less than 5 minutes after taking the Ativan, and he killed himself less than 20 minutes after that. I'm wondering, perhaps, if he took an Ativan shortly before the show, maybe somehow that made the subsequent doses take effect quicker? And also, why was there a 30 minute gap between the time the guard found him and the time medics arrived? Something isn't adding up.

Thanks for confirming. I agree and the additional details that were released today show that something's not adding up here. Sounds like we might not really know for sure until the results come in or the investigation shows something else was going on.

Offline markinnl

• Refugee
  • A woman needs a man like Edge needs a handicam
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2017, 06:19:57 PM »
On slightly different note, if U2 did song or snippet as tribute, which song should they do?  I think some of their songs are probably too dark for U2.
I'm thinking maybe temple of the dog song
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:03:51 PM by markinnl »

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2017, 07:29:23 PM »
On slightly different note, if U2 did song or snippet as tribute, which song should they do?  I think some of their songs are probably too dark for U2.

How about Chris' song Long Gone (the rock version, not the Timbaland version on his Scream album). I think U2 could do a good version of it.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:43:29 PM by Spaderholic »

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2017, 09:57:03 PM »
They could just play bad for him really it would fit.  I love the Audioslave song I am the Highway that or Like a Stone would work for U2

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2017, 12:55:52 AM »
That USA Today article is total hogwash.

I would agree. A lot of other fans at the show thought he was totally normal acting. The person who wrote that article is definitely in the minority.

Thanks for confirming. I agree and the additional details that were released today show that something's not adding up here. Sounds like we might not really know for sure until the results come in or the investigation shows something else was going on.

Yeah, I'm interested to see what ends up coming out about this. Obviously, it doesn't make a difference--he's gone--but maybe if it ends up being revealed that the medicine caused him to do this, maybe it'll serve as a warning to others taking that medicine and maybe it'll prevent future deaths.

I'm thinking maybe temple of the dog song

Most of his Soundgarden material would be undoable, save for maybe "Black Hole Sun" or "Fell On Black Days". His Audioslave material, though, would be pretty easy to snippet. Something like "Like A Stone" or "I Am The Highway". I have a feeling that if U2 were to snippet his songs (and I really hope they do it at least once), that they'd pick one of the hits.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2017, 08:42:00 AM »

Yeah, I'm interested to see what ends up coming out about this. Obviously, it doesn't make a difference--he's gone--but maybe if it ends up being revealed that the medicine caused him to do this, maybe it'll serve as a warning to others taking that medicine and maybe it'll prevent future deaths.

It is troubling if the medicine was the determining factor.  We saw what happened to Prince last year with prescription medication (accidental overdose of an addictive prescription medication).  My uncle suffered a side-effect from a medical injection at Christmas and died.  We need to be made more aware of the potential side effects of prescription medication.