Author Topic: Music Acts you grew to appreciate, as you got older  (Read 593 times)

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
Music Acts you grew to appreciate, as you got older
« on: May 21, 2017, 08:24:19 AM »
Is there anyone out there who have found themselves growing to luv the music of an artist/band which previously went largely unoticed?

Offline rubbersoul

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Music Acts you grew to appreciate, as you got older
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 08:37:58 AM »
Led Zeppelin, Kraftwerk, Miles Davis (especially the fusion years 69-73), Santana, Talk Talk

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 08:46:27 AM »
I can honestly say that I have pretty much stayed with my old favorites...Zep, Bowie, Joni, Janis, Doors, Bonnie, CSNY, Clapton, Stevie Ray, etc. Others, too, but I'll stop there.
Came back to modify...I do like all kinds of music, but always have done so! Love the blues, reggae, like some country, some jazz, some classical...even a teeny-tiny bit of hip-hop. Not bad for an old lady, huh? But, I'm a rocker at heart.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:12:14 AM by riffraff »

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 09:29:14 AM »
I grew up in a household where music was playing constantly. My parents always played the Stones, John Denver, Van Morrison, Warren  Zevon, Bowie, etc. (and I love them all and have been fortunate to have seen all of them with no without my folks. However, I think the person I've really grown to appreciate through the years in a way I hadn't when I was a kid is Emmylou Harris. Just magical to me! Even now I still love her aging voice.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 10:02:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I grew up in a household where music was playing constantly. My parents always played the Stones, John Denver, Van Morrison, Warren  Zevon, Bowie, etc. (and I love them all and have been fortunate to have seen all of them with no without my folks. However, I think the person I've really grown to appreciate through the years in a way I hadn't when I was a kid is Emmylou Harris. Just magical to me! Even now I still love her aging voice.
Emmylou is great...do you have the album with her & Mark Knopfler together? Wonderful.

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 10:08:07 AM »
Emmylou is great...do you have the album with her & Mark Knopfler together? Wonderful.
Agreed.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 06:06:16 PM »
I've grown to appreciate Chris Cornell, Alice in Chains, and Pearl Jam.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 11:36:07 AM »
Bruce Cockburn

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 11:43:34 AM »

Wonderful, yes it is!

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 11:48:14 AM »
Leonard Cohen and Thin Lizzy

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 12:30:25 PM »
Lots of them.  But I'll go with metal in general.  It's still not exactly my "thing", but I can understand the appeal, and have grown to appreciate some of the stuff that I think I used to find just loud and relatively tuneless.

Granted, there's plenty of metal that I think IS tuneless, and deliberately so.

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »
Lots of them.  But I'll go with metal in general.  It's still not exactly my "thing", but I can understand the appeal, and have grown to appreciate some of the stuff that I think I used to find just loud and relatively tuneless.

Granted, there's plenty of metal that I think IS tuneless, and deliberately so.
That's funny! I say this because I've been on a metal kick lately. All the stuff my brother was learning to play in the 80's...Motörhead, Iron Maiden, Anvil...also a few " hair bands" haha

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 04:52:09 PM »
Opera.

With the exception of this one Stockhausen opera that I can't remember the name of, I always hated it. Could always appreciate the immense talents of people like Jose Carreras and Maria Callas, but couldn't get into the music. I thank (former Nightwish singer) Tarja Turunen for beginning to turn me around.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »
A band whom i have been enjoying some of their tunes lately....is Runrig (A Scottish Band). If you have ever seen the Movie Local Hero, their music would fit in to the soundtrack so well. Anyhoo, I didnt really take much notice of them before, i pretty much dismissed them out of hand.
But i must admit, the do have some "Bonnie" tunes

Offline feedback

• Refugee
  • 'Father is an Elephant'
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 03:40:34 AM »
Fleetwood Mac, The Beach Boys, and Wings.