Author Topic: What new context has The Joshua Tree 2017 brought to U2 lyrics?  (Read 526 times)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
For me, the biggest contribution has been connecting A Sort Of Homecoming with With Or Without You. Showing the American landscapes and deserts and "I can't live with or without you" to "Dislocated, suffocated, the land grows weary of its own" has been an absolute revelation as to what Joshua Tree songs are. What new insight has come to you?

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
Re: What new context has The Joshua Tree 2017 brought to U2 lyrics?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »
Hmmm....good question.  Perhaps the "One Tree Hill" lyrics could be construed as mourning a more innocent time in America and elsewhere around the globe:  "I don't believe in painted roses, or bleeding hearts, while bullets rape the night of the merciful." But then a hopeful ending:  "I'll see you again, when the stars fall from the sky...and the moon has turned red over One Tree Hill."  For the literalists, I do realize that the song is about NZ, but I think the lyrics could apply to the harsher realities of life in 2017 around the globe.

Offline Pouakai

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 03:25:42 AM »
What I love is the amount of double meanings with ASOH - the tour is a homecoming in so many ways. They're back to the Joshua Tree, they're back to stadiums, they're back to America (First concert was Canada, but still.)

The politicisation of Exit with the movie snippet is kinda cool, too

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 01:14:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The politicisation of Exit with the movie snippet is kinda cool, too

Regarding Trump I think U2 said what needed to be said in Dreamforce and just decided to be more subtle with it on this tour, which I think is a good move.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 02:44:44 PM »
ASOH is about Ireland. Not only has the title been nicked from Yeates but 'grows weary' is about Irish emmigration, high birth rates and private property. I said that. The side of the road is a reference to Irish Travellers.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:46:28 PM by miryclay »

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 12:10:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
ASOH is about Ireland. Not only has the title been nicked from Yeates but 'grows weary' is about Irish emmigration, high birth rates and private property. I said that. The side of the road is a reference to Irish Travellers.

Those may have been its initial influences, but that doesn't mean that it's what the song is about. Art behaves differently for each person and it can change over time.