Author Topic: Trust GA tickets through stubhub?  (Read 639 times)

Offline draka

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Trust GA tickets through stubhub?
« on: May 25, 2017, 07:52:59 AM »
Our family just had to cancel a major multi-generational vacation due to a serious (but treatable) medical issue with one of the members of our traveling party.  I'm trying to cheer myself up from the disappointment, and have decided to plan a road trip to Louisville as a consolation. 

Obviously, I did not purchase tickets at the time these went on sale.  I would like to purchase GA tickets, but given all of the restrictions around credit card entry, I'm worried about buying tickets, driving the 8 hours to Lousiville, and not being able to get into the show. 

Does anyone have any insight on this? 

Under Seat Features and Ticket Disclosures, it says "Paperless tickets. Instructions for entry will be included in order confirmation email."   

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Trust GA tickets through stubhub?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 07:57:34 AM »
A friend of mine tried to sell a GA ticket on there and although he was successful, he found out that only allowed vendors are able to sell their tickets for CC-only GA admission, or else you risk a pretty significant fine from the company. That being said, he's still planning to try and meet up with the person who bought his ticket so they can go in together.

To answer your question though... I never tried it, mostly for the concern that you have re: them. But if you're willing to risk it, you could always give it a try... or even better, just show up to the venue the day of and see if someone has an extra "ticket" you can walk in with and pay with cash.

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 08:33:53 AM »
99% chance that the seller is going to ship you an a pre-paid Visa or Amex gift card, which the seller used to make the original purchase on Ticketmaster.

When you buy credit card-entry tickets on Ticketmaster, they tell you that you are not supposed to purchase them using a gift card, but the truth is, they still work anyway, and the policy has been completely unenforced.

So StubHub will ship you a gift card.... you bring it to the show... the ushers scan it, just like they would with a regular credit card, and you're in.

Only thing that would be a potential problem is, if you're at the one rare exception where they finally decide to enforce it.  (But very very unlikely, when there's 10,000+ other ga ticket holders all trying to get in, and they're trying to move the lines along as quickly as possible.)

Or if the magnetic strip on the gift card became demagnetized... THEN there would be a problem!

But keep in mind that StubHub would still take care of you.... just make sure you bring your phone and order number with you, so you can call SH at the door, if you have any problems getting in.

Offline draka

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 10:39:15 AM »
Y'all are the best.  Thank you so much for this information.  This makes me feel a lot better.  I think I will take my chances!  Really trying to make some lemonade out of this lemon situation.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 11:06:22 AM »
I'm actually in the same shoes as you--I decided to go to the Pittsburgh show and it was right after GA tickets sold out. I ended up buying two GA tickets through TickPick (an alternative to Stubhub that has none of the fees Stubhub has) and they shipped me an American Express gift card with the tickets loaded on it. As I'm driving 5-6 hours to the venue, I'm a little nervous, but after emailing TickPick they've reassured me that the tickets are on there and 100% guaranteed. Absolute worst case would be that I get there and the tickets don't work, in which case TickPick would arrange to get me tickets that do work.

Still nervous, but I've heard this has worked fine for many people so that reassures me a bit.

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 11:46:19 AM »
I'd also suggest that you frequently check Ticketmaster for more "drops" where they trickle out a few more tickets, in the days leading up to the show, before you finally give up and buy on SH.

SH should be fine, but I'd say use it as a last resort, if you can.

Offline d.darroch

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 06:47:22 PM »
I wouldn't do it. Wouldn't want to head there, & find you can't get in. But really for me it's out of principle. I don't want to be supporting grubby scalpers & the secondary ticket market.

There's pretty much ticket drops to all shows, usually GA's. Louisville is a low demand show, so no doubt there will be ticket drops for that show. So I'd just be checking ticketmaster regularly, & checking the ticket drop threads on here, & other forums like Interference. If you have to travel & are worried about not having a ticket early, then I'd get a $35 ticket, to get in the building, & sell it at face once you score your GA.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:48:59 PM by d.darroch »

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 07:13:40 PM »
If you're not lining up, then you have nothing to lose. Stubhub has a great refund policy if the tickets are fake, don't work, etc. but obviously you wouldn't want to wait 3+ hours and find out you're not getting in.

Offline d.darroch

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 07:37:09 PM »
I'd be pretty upset in any case if I couldn't get I'm the stadium, whether or not I'd waited in line. Especially if it's traveled to the show.

At 360 I bought a GA ticket to Vancouver from someone in line at the Rose Bowl show. #30'ish in line at Vancouver, camped out all night, in near freezing conditions, a first for me. Gates opened, off we go, & what do you know. My ticket didn't scan! People were streaming past me, while they tried to scan my ticket multiple times. After a while, while totally stressing out, I just pushed past security. Thankfully they just let me go. Nerve-wracking!!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:38:41 PM by d.darroch »

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 07:56:59 PM »
Scalped tickets were a last resort for me, but with a coupon code and watching things carefully, I managed to get the GA tickets for only $18 more total than buying straight from Ticketmaster. It was worth it to not have to worry about whether or not there would be another ticket drop.

Offline savoyard

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 07:00:50 AM »
Don't you need a credit card and photo ID now? How does StubHub handle that?

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 07:19:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Don't you need a credit card and photo ID now? How does StubHub handle that?

I answered that several posts above:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
99% chance that the seller is going to ship you an a pre-paid Visa or Amex gift card, which the seller used to make the original purchase on Ticketmaster.

When you buy credit card-entry tickets on Ticketmaster, they tell you that you are not supposed to purchase them using a gift card, but the truth is, they still work anyway, and the policy has been completely unenforced.

So StubHub will ship you a gift card.... you bring it to the show... the ushers scan it, just like they would with a regular credit card, and you're in.

Only thing that would be a potential problem is, if you're at the one rare exception where they finally decide to enforce it.  (But very very unlikely, when there's 10,000+ other ga ticket holders all trying to get in, and they're trying to move the lines along as quickly as possible.)

Or if the magnetic strip on the gift card became demagnetized... THEN there would be a problem!

But keep in mind that StubHub would still take care of you.... just make sure you bring your phone and order number with you, so you can call SH at the door, if you have any problems getting in.

As for photo ID checks, so far there have been ZERO reports of venue staff actually requesting to see ID for credit card-entry tickets.  It would just be a logistical nightmare for them to check all those IDs when the lines are already ridiculous to start with, just scanning credit cards for 10,000+ people.

Offline draka

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »
I wanted to write back to share my experience. 

I did wind up purchasing the tickets through StubHub.  (I generally wouldn't want to support scalpers, but I also didn't want to take my chances with a ticket drop that I might miss.  My job makes it impossible for me to constantly monitor these things.) They sent a prepaid credit card and we had no problem getting into the stadium.  They did not check IDs.  Even though it wasn't an ideal situation, it worked out for us. 

The show was amazing, of course.  We were one back from the rail right in front of Adam.  Now we have a great memory in place of (at least some of) the disappointment of our  cancelled trip. 

Thank you to everyone for your help and input.