Author Topic: *spoiler* Tribute to Women during Ultraviolet  (Read 3377 times)

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
Re: *spoiler* Tribute to Women during Ultraviolet
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 10:21:48 AM »
To make society work, many roles have to be filled. This skews the statistics. For example, the statistics on pay equality are inherently skewed because women are more likely to take lower paying jobs that offer perks that aren't measured, like time off (to care for children, etc). I can tell you that there are highly educated, brilliant women working part time jobs in retail and other fields so they can make other parts of their life balance.

I have never identified as a "feminist" by today's standards because there are so many more layers to real life than can be measured by political polls or statistics. But at the the same time, I know that the "femenists" who came before me made my world views and my lifestyle possible. Like Roxcy Bolton, who recently passed away.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 10:36:04 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I will admit though, parlaying victim status into social opportunity is a brilliant move. Most men suffer in silence instead of constantly yapping.

Haha, I've said the same thing to my wife! (The men suffer in silence line)

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • http://www.u2gigs.com/myshows/31519
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 11:13:08 AM »
All men have to offer is provisions, women trade through legal and illegal means sex offerings. Either through birth possibilities or for pleasure. Saying men make more in the workforce is like saying women give birth to all of the children.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does SOE happen?
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 11:39:27 AM »
All men have to offer is provisions, women trade through legal and illegal means sex offerings. Either through birth possibilities or for pleasure. Saying men make more in the workforce is like saying women give birth to all of the children.
pffffffffffftttttttttttt...stop making me laugh!

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 02:07:50 PM »
To make society work, many roles have to be filled. This skews the statistics. For example, the statistics on pay equality are inherently skewed because women are more likely to take lower paying jobs that offer perks that aren't measured, like time off (to care for children, etc). I can tell you that there are highly educated, brilliant women working part time jobs in retail and other fields so they can make other parts of their life balance.

I have never identified as a "feminist" by today's standards because there are so many more layers to real life than can be measured by political polls or statistics. But at the the same time, I know that the "femenists" who came before me made my world views and my lifestyle possible. Like Roxcy Bolton, who recently passed away.
While all of your points are both fine and finely made, it bears worth pointing out that the "pay disparity" is, unequivocally, largely a myth. In truth, there is no systemic ploy where employers say, "Wellllll, you're wholly qualified, but because you have a vagina, we're going to automatically pay you 25% less", as the oft government quoted statistic generally says. That stat was arrived at by averaging the pay of all women, and of all men, and then comparing them. The problem with an equation like this, is that it leaves out such important variables like: what is the actual job being performed? (naturally, some jobs will pay more than others); how many hours are being worked? (on average, men work as many as 10 hours more per week than do women); what are the qualifications that one has going into the particular job? (I have a friend who's the marketing manager of a company, yet he has never finished college..... he is working on that now, knowing that that extra qualification will help to boost his pay in his company); how well does on bargain for a higher pay rate in the interview process? (it is generally believed that men are better at this than women, though I don't know if there is much in the way of actual research to support the hypothesis).

Once the above factors, and others, considered in the equation, the "pay disparity" all but disappears. The most that turns up (and, only in some studies) is a 3-cent pay difference (i.e., it falls within the "margin of error"). In fact, in many instances, women with the same qualifications, who work the same hours and jobs as do men are many times paid MORE than the men. Google it. All of this is readily available information.

Methinks that the government and many politicians like to trumpet this lie during election season, to try and gin up votes amongst women, in the hopes of getting them to vote how they see fit.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 08:06:57 PM »
Lol so much mansplaining going on in here.  Thank God all I needed was a man to tell me why it's just not hard to be a woman at all.

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 10:19:25 PM »
I love Ultraviolet.   And I love spotlighting intelligent, influential women.

I just dont love these things TOGETHER.  It just doesn't work paired with Ultraviolet. 
In my opinion, of course.

Ultraviolet is a personal song.  Not an "issue" song.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 10:31:07 PM »

I just dont love these things TOGETHER.  It just doesn't work paired with Ultraviolet. 

it's about a strong woman," your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed, baby baby baby light my way".

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 06:08:17 AM »
Lol so much mansplaining going on in here.  Thank God all I needed was a man to tell me why it's just not hard to be a woman at all.

I suppose you are just not into hearing other perspectives.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 06:19:51 AM »

it's about a strong woman," your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed, baby baby baby light my way".

No, its a song about light bulbs that have endurance and that last.

Offline garyu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2017, 06:42:38 AM »
I'm starting to think U2 thought Ghostbusters 2016 was a good movie.

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2017, 06:45:27 AM »
"I remember
When we could sleep on stones
Now we lie together
In whispers and moans"

Yes!  These lyrics are totally about Oprah Winfrey, Rosa Parks, Ellen DeGeneres, and the "Match Girls Strike of 1888".   

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2017, 06:51:29 AM »
I think both women AND men have much more to offer than all of this ^^^

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 06:54:21 AM »
I'm starting to think U2 thought Ghostbusters 2016 was a good movie.

It doesn't matter if its good or not. We all have to pretend its good.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2017, 06:55:11 AM »
I think both women AND men have much more to offer than all of this ^^^

Thats true. But at its base level that is much of the exchange between the sexes.