Author Topic: *spoiler* Tribute to Women during Ultraviolet  (Read 3680 times)

Offline U2Fan

• Refugee
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
Re: *spoiler* Tribute to Women during Ultraviolet
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2017, 05:39:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Lol so much mansplaining going on in here.  Thank God all I needed was a man to tell me why it's just not hard to be a woman at all.

I suppose you are just not into hearing other perspectives.
and I suppose some here are actually pi**ed that U2 would choose to honor women.  Unbelievable really
It's the bizarre and unfitting pairing of this song and message that people are upset about.

It baffles me as to how the discussion even shifted to this in the first place...

Yes, UV is about God lighting your way. 

Far be it from me to wade into these waters, but while I appreciate that a lot of their songs can be interpreted as dealing with God, and mean something different to each of us, I've never thought of UV as one of those--at least not directly.  It very much evokes a troubled relationship with a woman, to me: lying together in "whispers and moans", the repeated "baby baby baby" sounds much more about a personal relationship than a spiritual one.

I love the song, but the current version did little for me.  I get that the original intent of the song, as I interpreted it, could work as a feminist anthem, but it always seemed much more despairing than uplifting.  360's version seemed better.
From a lyrical standpoint, "Ultraviolet" is pretty despairing, but Bono's vocal delivery and Edge's guitar (especially on the "Ultraviolet Light..." chorus) change it to an uplifting song to me.  That's one of the many brilliant aspects of Achtung Baby.  Many of the songs sound uplifting, even when the subject matter is anything but.  This is something Pop fails to do, in my opinion.  It's despairing all-around.  I know that was off topic, but that thought just occurred to me :)

Check out the Wiki page on Ultraviolet...Book of Job references. 

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2017, 08:57:14 AM »
Replace Lena Dunham with one of my favorite trans women, such as Laura Jane Grace, Laverne Cox or Chelsea Manning. I'd be very satisfied with a change like that.

Then again I'm trans so I'm really biased.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2017, 02:36:24 PM »
I clicked on this thread hoping to learn something about Lena Dunham that i previously didn't know, something that would justify her place on that screen during UV. I know her as the writer of a TV show who has joked about molesting her little sister and made highly insensitive remarks (and I am pro-choice) about abortion.

Sounds like everyone here is just as confused about her place as I am?

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2017, 03:22:18 PM »
I clicked on this thread hoping to learn something about Lena Dunham that i previously didn't know, something that would justify her place on that screen during UV. I know her as the writer of a TV show who has joked about molesting her little sister and made highly insensitive remarks (and I am pro-choice) about abortion.

she's controversial and I wonder if all the people involved in cable TV dramas run in the same circles so maybe Bono's daughter might know her?

Also she dated Kylo Ren lol

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2017, 05:40:04 PM »

Because she's a woman she's gets a pedo pass.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2017, 06:42:04 PM »

I think what she did was gross, but not more then I'll so you mine you show me yours or a kid sneaking a look in the bath of another kid. I don't think she's a sex offender.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2017, 07:10:40 PM »
I've figured she's probably pals with Eve, and has met Bono a few times.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2017, 07:52:38 PM »

I think what she did was gross, but not more then I'll so you mine you show me yours or a kid sneaking a look in the bath of another kid. I don't think she's a sex offender.
What's that have to do with anything?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2017, 08:25:02 PM »

It's impossible for a woman to be a sex offender anyway. 

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2017, 09:17:47 PM »
I would guess that Dunham is on the screen because some view her as a strong woman (feminist). She's obviously not a slim and trim supermodel as most actresses are, but she's been unabashed about showing off her body/speaking her point of view. Do I agree with her controversial statements? Definitely not, but I understand why some would view her as a strong woman. She kind of is for not backing down from critics, even if I do find many of her statements disturbing.

I don't think it's a case of her being a friend of Eve's and getting put on the screen. I think it's more a case of her being a young, modern feminist when a lot of people on the screen aren't that young.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2017, 09:41:56 AM »
I would guess that Dunham is on the screen because some view her as a strong woman (feminist). She's obviously not a slim and trim supermodel as most actresses are, but she's been unabashed about showing off her body/speaking her point of view. Do I agree with her controversial statements? Definitely not, but I understand why some would view her as a strong woman. She kind of is for not backing down from critics, even if I do find many of her statements disturbing.

I don't think it's a case of her being a friend of Eve's and getting put on the screen. I think it's more a case of her being a young, modern feminist when a lot of people on the screen aren't that young.

I think your points are illuminating as to why they've decided to use Lena Dunham in the video - she is outspoken and uncompromising in her writing, facing experiences head on and in an idiosyncratic way.  She does not try and bland it all out to appeal to mainstream ideas and opinions.  I've just watched the video and there are some other young(ish) feminist writers on the it, but there are plenty of great and inspiring women from history too.  I think they played the video to Ultraviolet at your show, tiger?  I fear by the time it gets to Europe we may get Mysterious Ways instead (that song sounds more cheesy with this video than UV).

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2017, 02:03:19 PM »

I think your points are illuminating as to why they've decided to use Lena Dunham in the video - she is outspoken and uncompromising in her writing, facing experiences head on and in an idiosyncratic way.  She does not try and bland it all out to appeal to mainstream ideas and opinions.  I've just watched the video and there are some other young(ish) feminist writers on the it, but there are plenty of great and inspiring women from history too.  I think they played the video to Ultraviolet at your show, tiger?  I fear by the time it gets to Europe we may get Mysterious Ways instead (that song sounds more cheesy with this video than UV).

Yeah, they played UV and the video at my show in Pittsburgh. Ironically, I've only been to 3 U2 shows and I've heard UV at 2 of them, haha. It looks like they've swapped between MW and UV at shows where they're playing consecutive nights in the same city, so hopefully they play UV in Europe. It's a great song live.

It also looks like they're trying to mix up some of the women in the video as they are taking requests for women to feature during the video in Cleveland. Specifically it seems like they want to feature inspiring women local to that area, which is really cool.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2017, 02:18:42 PM »

Yeah, they played UV and the video at my show in Pittsburgh. Ironically, I've only been to 3 U2 shows and I've heard UV at 2 of them, haha. It looks like they've swapped between MW and UV at shows where they're playing consecutive nights in the same city, so hopefully they play UV in Europe. It's a great song live.

It also looks like they're trying to mix up some of the women in the video as they are taking requests for women to feature during the video in Cleveland. Specifically it seems like they want to feature inspiring women local to that area, which is really cool.

Yeah, well I am going to the 2nd night in my city, which I expect will mean I get MW, a song I hold no great love for.  And as I've said, the video is far better suited to UV than MW  :(  With any luck the guys going night 1 will get MW and I'll get Ultraviolet  :P

Yes, great that they're featuring inspiring local women at the shows.  Glad you've managed to hear UV a good proportion of times.  Did you enjoy UV on this tour or feel as "meh" or annoyed about it as others who've posted in this thread?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2017, 05:28:13 PM »
I've seen this tour and UV is not a personal highlight.

Offline u2lucy

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • time is irrelevant, it's not linear
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2017, 07:00:43 AM »
Did I miss Princess Diana on the screen or was that another oversight?  I was at the Cleveland show Saturday night.